HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   deer hunting books (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/282235-deer-hunting-books.html)

bigmster127 01-11-2009 09:15 AM

deer hunting books

what are some of the newer books out there, that are good and what were the names of them.

Wingbone 01-11-2009 09:21 AM

RE: deer hunting books

This one is not new, but it's an excellent book on the subject, and overlooked. "Whitetail" by George Mattis.

Edcyclopedia 01-11-2009 10:09 AM

http://www.bigwoodsbucks.com/

Informational for the tracking style of hunting in snow

patchholder 01-11-2009 12:54 PM

Edcyclopedia, I checked out that site and it sounds pretty interesting. Have you read this book and or watched the dvd. Have you applied this stuff and seen success. Thanks!

Edcyclopedia 01-11-2009 03:29 PM

ORIGINAL: patchholder

Edcyclopedia, I checked out that site and it sounds pretty interesting. Have you read this book and or watched the dvd. Have you applied this stuff and seen success. Thanks!
Yes, I have read the book and seen the dvd and think either one is worth it.
Please note that they are of the same content, meaning a duplicate process.
So if you don't like to read then buy the DVD. If I had to choose, I would elect the book.
It's all technique and no kills.
The success I've had from his book and I will also include the Benoits stuff,
is the WHITE FLAG only scenario ~ wink-wink.

I have much better luck with stand hunting, reason being is I have a hard time seeing brown.
Not a very good trait for a deer hunter!!! But hopefully I will get an "A" for effort in the future!
On a second note, I found the BloodBrothers DVD to have connected with me perfectly,
because that happens to be my style of hunting.

You may want to ask Magicman, I think he's a fan of Hal Blood?
He had some good results this year. Maybe we can squeeze a picture out of him???

magicman54494 01-11-2009 03:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Edcyclopedia

ORIGINAL: patchholder

Yes, I have read the book and seen the dvd and think either one is worth it.
Please note that they are of the same content, meaning a duplicate process.
So if you don't like to read then buy the DVD. If I had to choose, I would elect the book.
It's all technique and no kills.
The success I've had from his book and I will also include the Benoits stuff,
is the WHITE FLAG only scenario ~ wink-wink.

I have much better luck with stand hunting, reason being is I have a hard time seeing brown.
Not a very good trait for a deer hunter!!! But hopefully I will get an "A" for effort in the future!
On a second note, I found the BloodBrothers DVD to have connected with me perfectly,
because that happens to be my style of hunting.

You may want to ask Magicman, I think he's a fan of Hal Blood?
He had some good results this year. Maybe we can squeeze a picture out of him???
Hey Ed, Hows it going?
I have the Hal Blood book and just about everything from the benoits. I have had great success tracking. I killed a nice 8 pointer In Minn. 2 yaers ago and killed a nice 10 pointer in Wis. this year. It's by far the funnest way to hunt deer I have ever tried.

I agree also about the bloodbros' marsh bucks DVD. It's a must have. They are about to release another DVD on hunting hill country bucks. I will pick yhat one up as well.

tyleryeags 01-11-2009 03:52 PM

i like to read 'the game news' i get one every other moth in the mail it talks bout deer,bear,turkey,and almost every thing you can hunt most are on 1 topis though like deer or turkey but theyare very good

patchholder 01-13-2009 08:13 PM

Hey Magicman54494, just curoius but what part of Mn did you kill that 8pt and what tactic did you use to get him, were you juststill hunting or tracking. Thanks!

Bergcrane2 01-14-2009 11:15 AM

"Bowhunting for Pressured Whitetails" by John Eberhart is a great read. It not only helps bowhunters, but gun hunters too. http://www.amazon.com/Bowhunting-Pre.../dp/0811728196
John is a staff writer for Deer & Deer Hunting Magazine.

trophy13 01-14-2009 05:23 PM

I really enjoy "How to Bag the Biggest Buck of Your Life" by Larry Benoit. I read it every year to get fired up for deer season. I also do a lot of shed hunting and "Shed Hunting: A Guide to Finding White-Tailed Deer Antlers" by Joe Shead was really helpful. There's so many good ones out there.