Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Sheds

Old 01-15-2009, 03:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sheds

Last year was my first time shed hunting and I personally have not found any deer sheds, only moose sheds.

My good friend suggested to me that he also found it hard finding sheds for many years when he started out...
Until he specifically started looking for sheds, meaning training your eye to look for antlers and stop looking at deer tracks and rubs etc.
SPECIFICALLY ANTLER LOOKING ONLY!
He also says he uses his GPS with the "tracks" turned on and then saves it.
So if he goes back into the same woods, he can move over 20 or 30 yards and not walk down the same redundant trails all the time.
His favorite time to shed hunt is, just when the snow has melted down with a few patches of ground showing.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Edcyclopedia

Last year was my first time shed hunting and I personally have not found any deer sheds, only moose sheds.

My good friend suggested to me that he also found it hard finding sheds for many years when he started out...
Until he specifically started looking for sheds, meaning training your eye to look for antlers and stop looking at deer tracks and rubs etc.
So if he goes back into the same woods, he can move over 20 or 30 yards and not walk down the same redundant trails all the time.
His favorite time to shed hunt is, just when the snow has melted down with a few patches of ground showing.
That's my problem Ed, I'm still buck hunting when I'm shed hunting and the deer season Is over!![8D][8D][>:][>:]
Old 01-15-2009, 11:11 AM
Spike

Here is a shed my oldest son found while rabbit hunting a week ago. It was found burried in grass next to a field so I am assuming it was last years shed.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:30 AM

It doesnt have to be feb.for bucksto loose their horns....i shot an 8 point a few years back,and he fell in a ditch where i discovered his horns fell off.the horns lay by the deer so i picked up the horns and drug the deer to my truck ,then took the deer to a game warden.he told me this happens quite frequently,never gave me a reason why....has this happened to anyone else on here.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:24 PM

Got out today looking for a couple hours. Saw one buck with antlers, but didn't find any sheds. Anybody finding any?
Old 01-18-2009, 12:59 PM
Fork Horn

Haven't found any personally yet, but I've got a few pics of bucks already dropping them... I figure I'll give em a chance to drop both before I got, double my chances...
Old 01-20-2009, 04:54 PM

Still waiting for that first shed of the year. Saw several bucks this week with both antlers still on their heads. I know some have already shed. I'm impatiently waiting for the rest!
Old 01-21-2009, 06:03 AM
Fork Horn

Big mistake...I've found several sheds walking the same redundant trails over and over. In fact, I found a 70 inch shed last season 3 days after I had walked the exact same trail. My goal was to find 10 sheds last year and I found my 10th one walking to a stand during deer season. This year my goal is 15...hopefully I'll be able to hit that number since it's been so cold out.

ORIGINAL: Edcyclopedia

Old 01-21-2009, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Haven't found any sheds yet but seen bucks on the camera without horns but still many with horns too. Did find two season casualties unfortunatly.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:20 PM
fj

so far this year i have been out twice looking for sheds on jan. 17th i found these five then i went out today but only found one 4 point but it was old from last year i think but in pretty good shape

Quick Reply: Sheds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.