Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Hunting from the ground w/out blind? >

Hunting from the ground w/out blind?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting from the ground w/out blind?

Old 01-08-2009, 07:38 PM

Default Hunting from the ground w/out blind?

Im going to a place to hunt tomorrow that might not have a tree stand. Is ground hunting without a blind possible? Any tips?
Old 01-08-2009, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting from the ground w/out blind?

absolutely, setup near a beaten trail, be still, quiet, and downwind of them and you are good to go
Old 01-08-2009, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

Last two deer that I harvested was from the ground - both deer were 20-30 yards from my position - One over 150 and the other over 160 - some of the biggest deer I have seen have been from ground level. I am a big person, sometimes I prefer the ground especially on windy days.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Getting in the "V", behind or next to big deadfalls will giveyou some cover and someatleast minimal protection from the elements. Should you find there is indeed a stand there please make sure it is in 100% top notch condition before climbing in it with your safety harness of course. The best deer hunts are the ones that end safely.

Good luck.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:11 AM

i killed most of my deer on the ground (stock hunting)
its fun!!
Old 01-09-2009, 07:42 AM

I killed alot of deer from the ground,the biggest share of them i stalked. i also killed alot standing on a good trail with lots of scrapes and rubs present.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:48 AM
Typical Buck

I shot a deer last week from the ground. I took the top part of my climbing stand with me in set up just inside a pine thicket looking out on to a cleared powerline. Shot a doe and passed on about 5 small bucks and couple small does. Came back and hunted in the exact same spot 4 days later. saw about 35 deer in all, never was spotted. I used the darkness of the pines, and grabbed some brush in the area and piled in front of me. I saw a bunch of good deer, and one shooter buck, but couldnt get a shot as he came out of the pines on the otherside and droped down a hill. It works, just play the wind, it swirled once on me, and all the deer left, then it switched back and they all came back out again.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

i took my first two deer off the ground just sitting on a stool its fun and the adrenaline is so strong is scarey
Old 01-09-2009, 08:35 AM
Fork Horn

You can absolutely hunt from the ground. I've had countless numbers of deer walk past me while i was sitting or stalking on the ground. Just set up near a trail and wait. The adrenaline will deffinately be pumpin
Old 01-09-2009, 09:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

More than just possible. Just be still & pay attention. Deer been killed from the ground without blinds as long as man has hunted them.

Quick Reply: Hunting from the ground w/out blind?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.