HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Baiting with deer corn (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/281943-baiting-deer-corn.html)

ozfest5 01-08-2009 07:35 PM

Baiting with deer corn

I picked up a bag of deer corn with molasses today. Is this good stuff to use? Also, if i throw it out the day that I go hunting, will the deer come to it or do you have to be baiting for weeks before?

MichiganWhitetails74 01-08-2009 08:30 PM

RE: Baiting with deer corn

I do not know your regulations and bate amount....But here's my opinion

Never drop the day of, or the day before.

Yeah ...it may work..

If you have time...drop corn 2-3 weeks before and keep the bait flowing during that time period

----

3 days before your hunt drop enough to last through your hunt so you have bait when you arrive...

Stay out of your hunting area for 3 days after you drop bait...let your scent leave the area....when you arrive...you'll hav'em dead.

Good Luck

timbercruiser 01-08-2009 08:34 PM

IMHO the "deer corn" is no better than regular shelled corn. I have seen it take longer for the deer to start eating the "deer corn" than the regular corn.

SWThomas 01-09-2009 04:39 AM

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

IMHO the "deer corn" is no better than regular shelled corn. I have seen it take longer for the deer to start eating the "deer corn" than the regular corn.
Maybe not, but it's cheaper. I think I'll stick to the stuff that's $7 for 50 pounds.

srwshooter 01-09-2009 07:00 AM

if you must bait deer to kill them your not much of a hunter...........you just as well hunt farm animals.

SWThomas 01-09-2009 07:52 AM

ORIGINAL: srwshooter

if you must bait deer to kill them your not much of a hunter...........you just as well hunt farm animals.
Well then I guess people should stop planting food plots and using grunt calls and rattling antlers and scents to attact deer. Any atificially introduced product to lure deer to a certain location could be considered baiting. Because if those items weren't used, the deer wouldn't be in that area. Otherwise people wouldn't use them.

bigangrychicken 01-09-2009 10:36 AM

you can absolutely put the corn out the day of the hunt, but it would be better to bait a few days beforehand. if you put the corn out that day, it would be only good for the deer that would coming thru at that time anyway and would simply be more of a distraction to them. put it out a few days beforehand and you'll get some deer that wouldn't normally be visiting your area, as well.

fastetti 01-09-2009 10:49 AM

Im with the other guys, a few weeks before hand is better, but usually it can't hurt putting it out the day before. I also agree that regular corn is just asgood as the other stuff. I think its just a waste of money, but if you could. Try some molasses corn near some of the regular stuff and see what the deer eat up first, then you'll know if they prefer one over the other. Good Luck!

ORIGINAL: srwshooter

I think people that don't agree with the topic should just STAY OUT OF IT!!! If you don't like the way some legally hunts, then no one cares. Your not goint to change anyones mind. I don't necessarily agree with some forms of trapping, so you know what I do. I keep my butt out of the trapping forums!!!

zrexpilot 01-09-2009 11:43 AM

hehehehe

Lanse couche couche 01-09-2009 12:12 PM

Dont want to get caught up in this same old argument, and like I said before, if it is legal go for it. However, I am curious, at one point did itbecome recognized as a good idea to feed any wild animal outside of an emergency situation. I'm serious about this because when i grew up that was the commn philosophy. Now feeding deer, as either a managment tool or as baiting seems more and more common. Was there a point where the philosophy of wildlife experts changed onfeeding wild gameor was it just something that developed independent of such perspectives? I'm NOT looking for an argument here, just whether or not anyone knows studies or scholarly discussions of this issue.