Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Baiting with deer corn

Old 02-16-2009, 07:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Baiting with deer corn

ORIGINAL: Kybuckhunter

ORIGINAL: Siman08/OH

When 10 year old boys can consitantly kill 150" bucks in my area...its not hunting.

I do not care what you think it is, but hunting over a pile of bait, is not comparable to patterning a whitetail buck, using calls and sexual scents. Thats just my opinion.

That kid who kills a 150" buck is not as good of a hunter as the one who kills a 100" buck by scouting him and hanginga stand. Thats my opinion.

Now using bait to get pictures, or observe deer without killing them is different.
Sounds like you are jealous of the 10 year old boy. Why should you care what he kills or how he kills them? Maybe he hunts harder than you do or maybe he passes smaller bucks.

What if he was hunting over a 1 or 2 acre food plot that was pulling in all the deer in the area? Would that make him more of a hunter to you?
If you want the truth, it would. Im not jealous of the kid, im good friends with him actually. But do i think he is a better hunter then me? Hell no. I could do it too, but i don't. Any person on here can spin the story any way that they want to make themselves look good and righteous, i understand that. And there's nothing wrong with that. Im just stating my own opinion on the matter.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can you make it a little clearer to me how hunting over a small food plot or a single apple tree would be more like hunting? You are waiting at an ambush spot for the animal either way. You know the deer will be there. Its not like it takes a great hunter to figure that out....I respect your opinion but I dont see why you would look down on the boy for his choice. What is a "good hunter" anyway. Isnt it subjective.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

The "purest" that hunt from a treestand, in his sentlock suit, over a food plot, where he has multiple game cams, and using his new 80% letoff bow or high powered rifle think they are the only ones doing it "right".

Unless you are stalking a deer in a loin cloth with a spear you are taking advantage of the animal in some way. Were you draw the line is all up to you. You can make hunting as easy or hard as you like but thats up to each person to decide. Just because one person likes to hunt a certain way doesnt mean thats the only way. So unless you are the one in the loin cloth don't preach to me on whats fair.....
Thank you!! Youhave people on here that saying baiting ishunting but these are the same peole who use scent free clothing, 80% let off bows 50 ft in the air!! Ive huntedwith and without bait many times in my life (Depending on what state I am in) and can tell you that bothare challenging in there own way.

I agree with you, if you kill a deer with a spear in a loin cloth, then you are truly hunting.Any other way you are using an unfair advantage. Let people hunt the way they want toand as long as its legal stopping preaching to others that their way is cheating. Everyone who says its unfairneeds stop whining and let people hunt the way legally are allowed to.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Its only real hunting if you take that deer with a traditional fire-sharpened spear. Those high-tech obsidian blade spears are for sissies[:@]
Old 02-17-2009, 08:48 AM

this topic is so over dramatized,if you want to use bait and its legal fine,if you dont hunt over a food pile fine,the main point is no matter where you sit and how you do it its always an ambush,thats what hunting is,you can wait and do it the much more admirable way or you can cheat a little,to each his own(baitting is cheating in my opinion but who cares right,just becuz i dont baitand find a problem with it maybe you dont,this is my beef if you are so foolish and you cant see the difference in baiting and real hunting ifeel sorry for you,example of real hunting=hunting out of a stand or stalking and of course not over a bait pile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,baiting take a hunt in texas show up at daybreak your in the stand and havent seen anything its now about 10,the automatic timer goes off and within 2 minutes deeer everywhere the difference is easy you bait you cheat,I WILL SAY WHAT EVERY 1 ELSES IS SCARED TO WE WHO DO IT THE RIGHT WAY AND NOT OVER A PILE OF BAIT TRULEY ARE BETTER HUNTERS FLATOUT,I DIDNT POST THIS TO OFFEND ANY BROTHERN OF THIS SITE JUST SAYIN WHAT MOST OF US WERE THINKIN
Old 02-17-2009, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

if you must bait deer to kill them your not much of a hunter...........you just as well hunt farm animals.
Well Virginia hunter, I guess you were never west of Alpine, Texas.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do not care what you think it is, but hunting over a pile of bait, is not comparable to patterning a whitetail buck, using calls and sexual scents. Thats just my opinion.
I dont have a fight in this battle but this comment struck me funny..... Can you explain the difference? Using calls, sexual scents and corn as bait,are all forms of luring a deer to your position so you can get a shot at them... Isitnot? The sole purpose of all three of these, areto lure a wild animal within shooting distance!!!
A lure is alure, no matter how you dress it up!!!
Old 02-17-2009, 10:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Can you make it a little clearer to me how hunting over a small food plot or a single apple tree would be more like hunting? You are waiting at an ambush spot for the animal either way. You know the deer will be there. Its not like it takes a great hunter to figure that out....I respect your opinion but I dont see why you would look down on the boy for his choice. What is a "good hunter" anyway. Isnt it subjective.
Because corn piles give deer"fish in a bucket" syndrome. It make them shy away from natural food sources, and causes them to abandon their natural habits to get to the corn. And corn is not even very nutricious to a whitetail! It hurts the deer more then it helps them, and dont even get me started on CWD and other diseases that are transferred through SALIVA and spread because deer are feeding ear to ear in a trough. Hunters who subject this onto deer are usually not even aware theat they are doing more harm then good.

http://www.austinwildliferescue.org/html/body_corn_is_not_for_deer.html

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/hunting/news/story?id=2614565

And what makes a good hunter? That is different to everybody. Their is no right or wrong answer. To ME, it is somebody who can consitantly take mature (3.5+) whitetail bucks without using bait or high fence hunts and accomplish this using a mixture of scouting, planning and preperation. It is also somebody who takes ethical shots and doesnt disrespect the animal. Once again, this is just my opinion and it is not up to me to decide who is right or wrong.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TexasBowHunter

I dont have a fight in this battle but this comment struck me funny..... Can you explain the difference? Using calls, sexual scents and corn as bait,are all forms of luring a deer to your position so you can get a shot at them... Isitnot? The sole purpose of all three of these, areto lure a wild animal within shooting distance!!!
A lure is alure, no matter how you dress it up!!!
Texas, I like where your going with this. Some people bait and others call it "Cheating"but then you get these people who spray some doe in heat and say its hunting and in no way is that cheating. I'll tell you what, if Im walking in the woods and to the right of me I smell some apples and to the left of me I see 8 fine ladies, guess what, I'll be going left. Maybe thats just me!Scent bought from the store that you put out is just as easier and lures them in as much as food. There are 2 things that bucks care about during the fall, Sex and Food. If you use one and not the other you should in no way say that your a better hunter. You're using something that wasn't found there naturally there before you arrived to your hunting location.

For the record, I am not an advocator of baiting, but seems that it is necessary in some situations. For example when it was legal in Michigan, If you were hunting 50 acres and you had 3 neighbors around you baiting, good luck on trying to pattern deer when they all put out bait 3 weeks before the season starts. What necessarily works for you may be impossible for others. If I was hunting a 300 acre farm I probably wouldn't bait, but when everyone and there uncle has 40 -60 acres all lined up and everyone is baiting, guess what, you have to adapt to get a deer.

Caleb, out of everyone that has made posts in the last few pages disagreeing with baiting, you are quite civil and put out good points and do not try and say people who bait are less of hunters. Congrats, finallya younger hunter that has some knowledge and class and backs up his points with research. I agree with you on the CWD, which is why I believe that baiting should only consist of smaller items such as corn and not whole carrots or sugar beats, which can be shared by multiple animals. I also believe it should NOT be allowed in states that don't already have it legal. I know for sure I wouldn't want it in Illinois. In Michigan, its seems to be a tradition to have bait over the past generation so now since everyone grew up doing it they don't want to stop, even if it is illegally. Case and point, last year on opening dayin Michigan there isa blind we normally see 20 to 30 deer out of we saw 1. The reason we believe is because we knew the neighbors were still baiting. Again, it sucks you have to bait, but in some cases its a must to see deer.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:40 AM
Spike

To the bashers of using corn for deer, I'm just wondering how long it takes you to catch a fish on a bare hook!!! Ever use a worm, minnow, leech.Explain to me pleasewhat is really the difference.

Quick Reply: Baiting with deer corn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.