Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Baiting with deer corn

Old 02-21-2009, 05:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Baiting with deer corn

ORIGINAL: rangerboy

no we dont bait all year, it is illegal. Everything is there food source, they dont move from area to area forone specific food. There arethousands and thousands of acres of pure woods, absolutely no acorns or fields.Siman/OH do you have fields or acorns to hunt by.
I do, yes.

But by stating that "everything" is their food source, your just trying to justify it. Their are other ways to hunt deer, you could find funnels, pinch points, bedding areas, trails, staging areas, river crossings, elevation changes.

Now im not sayng that your wrong, because it would be wrong of me to do as such, but im saying that i would do it differently.I would find one of the things listed above and key in on it. Just my opinion.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:05 AM
Fork Horn

people get the impression that you dump corn and the deer come running in, that is not true. The are often more cautious. Along with baiting we do scout alot. We hunt where thick swamps meet ridges and hardwoods. This year i sat 50 yds from a tagelder swamp to the north. On the edge of a 20yd wide strip of thick pines, so to the east. To the west, and farther east 2 big ridges funneled down to like a valley and the deer would work there way down the sides. It was at that spot where we had most of our bucks on camera. And to tell you the truth only a few deer came into the bait. mosy of the bucks were checking scrapes. The does came in, and the bait is the reason the does hung around and therefore the bucks. The buck i ended up shooting was cruising for does on the edge of the thin strip of swamp.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

magicman, you have hunted northern wisconsin, right. I was wondering if you baited. Where we hunt there is no food source, no fields. There is tons and tons of woods and deer dont just stay on one trail. you may hunt weeks to even see a deer without bait.
I hunt mainly northern Wis. public land. I have dabbled with baiting in the past. It's tough hunting for sure. I killed a 10 pointer with my rifle this year. No bait. It was1 of the 2 deer I saw all season. 2 of my neighbors sat over corn from Sat.- Thur and never saw a deer. You have to really put in the time to learn where they bed and how they travel.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess my Tinks smoke sticks during the rut is REALLY cheating.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:08 PM

Forget corn. Try Noze Kandy. It is unbelievable!
Old 02-21-2009, 06:09 PM

Forget corn. Try Noze Kandy. It is unbelievable!
Old 02-21-2009, 07:31 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: ozfest5

I picked up a bag of deer corn with molasses today. Is this good stuff to use? Also, if i throw it out the day that I go hunting, will the deer come to it or do you have to be baiting for weeks before?
I didn't read any of the other post. I'll just say you're confused. You aren't hunting. Why don't you just go ahead and hunt a cage and save the price of the corn?[&:]
Old 02-22-2009, 05:06 AM
Typical Buck

one walks,one swims.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

magicman, you have hunted northern wisconsin, right. I was wondering if you baited. Where we hunt there is no food source, no fields. There is tons and tons of woods and deer dont just stay on one trail. you may hunt weeks to even see a deer without bait.

Much like the Adirondacks, it sounds. Mast and native plants is the only food. If you sit, you may sit a week without seeing any animal, let alone a buck. Every day, you must go find them. Waiting for them to come to you , in most cases, is an exercise in futility. No need to bait; that is, provided you can truly hunt.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

As long as it's legal, and you wanna bait, have it. I won't be lookin' down on ya. That is, unless you look down on me for using tree stands, scents, and calls.

Quick Reply: Baiting with deer corn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.