Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Baiting with deer corn

Old 02-23-2009, 04:24 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Baiting with deer corn

Thanks Rory.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:56 AM

ORIGINAL: SWThomas

ORIGINAL: srwshooter

if you must bait deer to kill them your not much of a hunter...........you just as well hunt farm animals.
Well then I guess people should stop planting food plots and using grunt calls and rattling antlers and scents to attact deer. Any atificially introduced product to lure deer to a certain location could be considered baiting. Because if those items weren't used, the deer wouldn't be in that area. Otherwise people wouldn't use them.
umm baiting is one thing calling a deer in is another

Old 02-23-2009, 06:06 AM

ORIGINAL: Siman08/OH

When 10 year old boys can consitantly kill 150" bucks in my area...its not hunting.

I do not care what you think it is, but hunting over a pile of bait, is not comparable to patterning a whitetail buck, using calls and sexual scents. Thats just my opinion.

That kid who kills a 150" buck is not as good of a hunter as the one who kills a 100" buck by scouting him and hanginga stand. Thats my opinion.

Now using bait to get pictures, or observe deer without killing them is different.
agree!!

what do u all do about baiting up to the season then taking it out before season.. mainly just to see what all deer you have?
Old 02-23-2009, 08:34 AM
Spike

I put about 300lbs of corn in a pile under my stand and load my red rider bb gun and shoot them in the head while they eat! How's that for hunting over bait!
Old 02-24-2009, 07:29 AM

I am new to the forum but had to put my two cents in...I havebeen hunting in Texas all my life. I've hunted on land where the deer are baited and other locations where there is no baiting. For the most part the mature deer will not go to a feeder during the day. A hunter has a better chance of getting a mature buck from locating scrapes or animal trails and not from the feeder. The primary reason we use feeders on our ranch is to pattern deer. We run guided hunts on 60,000 acres in southwest Texas so its helps us in our management practices. When natural food is abundant they won't even come to a feeder except at night maybe.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: davidmil

ORIGINAL: ozfest5

I picked up a bag of deer corn with molasses today. Is this good stuff to use? Also, if i throw it out the day that I go hunting, will the deer come to it or do you have to be baiting for weeks before?
I didn't read any of the other post. I'll just say you're confused. You aren't hunting. Why don't you just go ahead and hunt a cage and save the price of the corn?[&:]
I'd say you are confused.....He only ask if corn was good to use. He wasntasking to be looked down on by you or anyone else that think they are thegods of huntingthat dictates hunting rules and policy.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:45 AM

i feel soo bad about all this....
so i went to rural king and got a salt block[8D]
to me if you bait deer out of season just to see what all you got thats fine
if you bait deer in season NO PROB. WITH THAT EITHER. but i will say that is not really hunting real hunting is a stick and string AND arrowstocking
lets face it none of us are really hunting till we do what the indians could do

my 2 cents
Old 02-25-2009, 10:28 AM

I agree. Im not sure where your from, but you must have more deer there than we have here. Im from north carolina and we dont have much were I live so if i didnt bait, i probly would see anything. they would just go to then next guy who does. And its legal.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ehenry

I agree. Im not sure where your from, but you must have more deer there than we have here. Im from north carolina and we dont have much were I live so if i didnt bait, i probly would see anything. they would just go to then next guy who does. And its legal.
Is that the right kind of attitude? Their are other ways to see deer, sounds like you like taking shortcuts to me. Just my opinion though.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:34 AM
Fork Horn

As if this hasn't gone on long enough, I was wondering what the consensus is. If you provide a food source (lets say a corn feeder in this case), water, and a mineral lick for all 12 months of the year where it normally wouldn't be, is this still considered baiting?

This isn't going to make a difference in how I hunt (though some of you may not consider what I do "hunting"), I was just wondering exactly what is it that you consider baiting. Do planted food plots count? How bout stock tanks or small ponds that have water pumped into them by a windmill?

Quick Reply: Baiting with deer corn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.