Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The girl friend slug gun

Old 06-13-2014, 07:15 PM
Spike

Default The girl friend slug gun

Well got the girl friend through the hunter safety course now just to buy her a slug gun. Thinking and H&R 20 ga ultra slug with a nikon scope. Any other suggestions?
Old 06-14-2014, 02:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

This is what I bought for my self. 20ga. with a Bushnell 1.5x7 dusk to dawn scope. Shoots the Remington Buck hammer 2 3/4 slugs no longer available great. Have been told the Federal power shocks are very good also.

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...ress-slug.aspx

Nothing wrong with a H&R how ever.

Al
Old 06-14-2014, 03:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would stick with a 20ga. with a rifled barrel of course. If she is planning on hunting small game, turkey, or skeet shooting then I would opt for a combo shotgun one that comes with two barrels, one being the rifles/cantilever and the other is a field barrel with a few chokes. Mossberg 500, or the Remington 870......Dick's Sporting Goods normally has these two on sale, the Mossberg 500 is roughly $100 less......If wanting a dedicated only slug gun two that come to mind is the single shot H&R and the Savage 220f, I own both I give a slight edge to the Savage. Scopes, there are many stick with a 3-9x40
Old 06-14-2014, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here ya go: http://www.tarhunt.com/tarhunt/
Old 06-14-2014, 08:26 PM
Typical Buck

I've heard those H&R slug guns shoot well, but they are heavy. I doubt she'd enjoy lugging one around in the woods all day. Depending on your budget, I'd look at the Savage 220F (I have one and love it). I'll consider one of those Tarhunts that Jerry suggests just as soon as I get my mortgage paid off.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tarhunts are over priced, and you will NOT gain nothing in accuracy. Friend of has one, nice gun, smooth action thats it. Another friend of mine couldn't afford one, so he had them work on his 870 12ga., at the time I was using my 1187 12ga, both have the same barrel twist, using the same ammo, my 1187 had no work done to it. Here are in Illinois a few days before gun season we both got bucks with the bow, well lets shoot the shotguns, his was shooting fine, but couldn't shoot as well as mine, and yes we switched guns and shot each others, same results it wasn't the shooters it was the gun
Old 06-16-2014, 04:33 AM
Typical Buck

When my ex started hunting, it was with a single shot. I think more newbees should start out this way. There is a lot less complication with a single shot. I eventually got her a used pump, but her arms were too short to get comfortable with it, and she stuck with the single shot.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:46 AM
Typical Buck

I just read that Tarhunt ad. What a waste of good cash. I am curious now. How can you get a more accurate rig than one with the scope mounted solidly ON the barrel (single shot)? Not hokey cantilever bases, but ON the barrel? I am of the opinion that the ammunition can not deliver the performance capability of any slug gun out there.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Savage 220f at 100yds I'm getting 3/4", at 200 yds I'm getting between 1.3" & 1.5", of course this is off a bench under ideal conditions, my H&R doesn't shoot as well as the Savage but not by much
Old 06-17-2014, 04:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

It is easy to change the pull of a gun. Tupper wear stocks are harder to do but the wood ones you just chop of so much stock. Tupper wear stocks usually have to be replaced with a aftermarket stock or a youth model from the MFG.

I also see no problems with the cantilevered mounts Like on the 870. It is a solid mount to the barrel and if you pin the barrel it can't move.

Al

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.