Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

High fence poll

Old 01-07-2009, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default High fence poll

I dont want to get in a disscussion. I want everyone to cast your vote, no disscussion unless you absolutely cannot hold back. But thats not what this thread is about. I just want the concensus. It a multiple pick
Old 01-07-2009, 11:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: High fence poll

Not to be overly critical, but it would be helpful if you could be a little more specific. For example, I doubt you would find much support for a 40 acre high fence operation, but folks may tend to be indifferent about a 50,000 acre ranch doing it.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I voted that it's the land owners right becuase it is. If they're shelling out all kind of money for QDM, why would they want their investment to run off and get killed by other people. Or have other people sneaking into their land to poach their animals.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SWThomas

I voted that it's the land owners right becuase it is. If they're shelling out all kind of money for QDM, why would they want their investment to run off and get killed by other people. Or have other people sneaking into their land to poach their animals.

I'll respect everyone's own opinion. But, in my mind fenced in hunting shouldn't be allowed if it's 10 acres or 50,000. I'm sorry but I just can't see the sport of killing a animal that is fenced in regardless how big the "pen" is.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I picked that it's a landowner's right, because it is and I support that. As a landowner, you should have the right to do whatever you want on your land. If you want to "grow" deer that's fine butyou won't get much respect from me if you've killed a deer behind a high fence.

When I was about 15, I had a friend (he was in his late 50's) who wanted a big buck, and he didn't really care how he got it. So he looked around and found a high fence operation out of Ohio and booked a hunt. It sounded pretty good, they said it was a large area and had about 200 deer on it, and a flock or two of turkeys came around there during certain times of the year. I asked the guy if they had anything else on it, and he said "yes we have elk too", when I asked if they had any big ones he said they had a big 7X7 bull and if I wanted it, he would let me hunt it with his muzzleloader (I forget what kind it was but it was from one of their sponsors). They were supposed to have a lodge, and cook, and they were going to film the hunt to air on TV.

Well, it turned out to be 200 acres of open hardwoods with feeders scattered throughout the place. The 7x7 elk was the ONLY elk they had on the place (needless to say, I passed on it after seeing the conditions), the "lodge" was an old run downsingle wide trailer, there was no cook and that was fine because there were dead mice all around the kitchen, and the method of hunting was to do drives from one side of the property to the next.My friend eventually got a big non-typical buck after several days of "hunting", and they guy said it was a 160 class deer and wanted him to pay the trophy fee for a 160 class deer. Well, my buddy had it scored, and it only scored 135, so he only paid the guy for a 130 inch deer. The guy said it was a high fenced deer and you couldn't have it scored, but as we all know, you CAN have it scored but you just can't enter it into any record books. They ended up going to court and my buddy won. Needless to say, the hunt never made it on TV [8D].

That kind of left a bad taste in my mouth about high fenced hunting. I know this was kind of "worst case" and that the majority of high fenced places are much better, but it just isn't for me. It's probably the reason I can't stand to watch high fenced hunts on TV too.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Land owner's right in my book.

As far as hunting inside, I have never done so, so I have no clue how that would work out. I would think that if the land enclosed was of sufficient size, I'd not be able to tell the difference from "free range". However, I would be at a loss to define "sufficient size".
Old 01-07-2009, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

i think if you want to kill a deer get out there and do the leg work to find them, not pay some one to put one there for you, deer farms are cool to look at and see but not for killing.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes, people have a right to fence their land. But, I'm still at a loss to understandhow it is someone's right to trap and restrict the movement of wild game, a public resource, for profit. If someone wants to buy deer and stock their fenced operation then it is hard to argue that it is not their right to do it. However, if someone simply encloses a couple thousand acres of "their" land, then they are now trying to control "our"resource.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

Yes, people have a right to fence their land. But, I'm still at a loss to understandhow it is someone's right to trap and restrict the movement of wild game, a public resource, for profit. If someone wants to buy deer and stock their fenced operation then it is hard to argue that it is not their right to do it. However, if someone simply encloses a couple thousand acres of "their" land, then they are now trying to control "our"resource.
In my best Tony Montana voice " Bingo "
No question a large parcel and deer are free to escape. But thats not the issue. Whitetail deer are native to the states and thats where I have a problem. deer are a natural renewable resource andI dont see how its allowed to enclose and trap them. Say you owned a piece of land with a running creek or river on it, what if the neighbor upstream damned it up to make a lake ? well that wouldnt be allowed, this is against the law and thats exactly what a high fence is.
I grew up here in Texas and the high fences have become a never ending fence. I drove for miles the other day and it was just fence after fence. That is bull. People that own small acerage pay the price. Now its only the people with money that beneifit from it.
I dont think whitetail deer should be allowed under a high fence simply because they are native to this country, even if you bought them, which should be outlawed also. the only way I see it being legal is if you were to stock it with exotic animals and all native animals were removed.
Here in Texas redifish and trout cannot be comercialy fished, then why are deer allowed to be commercialized. All this needs to go away , high fences, buying and selling of deer, and most buying a deer to shoot. I think guiding should be outlawed as well, or at the very least given a limit on game taken. Our Texas coast is litered with guides that take clients out 365 days a year. Do realise just how many fish he pulls from the ocean, times all those guides. Thats a raping of those waters and who pays, the ordinary fisherman.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:49 PM
Fork Horn

I live in Texas as well as see a lot of high fences. I have a lot to say, but a lot of it will duplicate zrexpilot. But, on the other hand, where does it end? A lot of hogs are trapped, sold at auction and are hunted for a fee. Granted, not the kind of fee a deer is, but it's basically the same concept. Only I have yet to talk to or meet a land owner who wanted these renewable natural resources (hogs) on their land tearing up thier fields and destroying crops.

Quick Reply: High fence poll

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.