Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Which states require permission? >

Which states require permission?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Which states require permission?

Old 01-09-2009, 12:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Which states require permission?

Are you saying you can afford all this stuff but you can not afford to post it? If the signs are plain and visible I do not thgink they would push the 50 foot issue with you. Here it must be posted and some skip some areas if going across a large field. They would post something like 100 feet enough so it is clearly notice able. Unfortunately some would sneak in under the cover of darkness to get your trout out if they really wanted to though. But why is it an issue that you can not post it?
Old 01-09-2009, 01:02 PM
Spike

You misunderstood my "pool" post...Ive been posting on Hunting permission but changed the wording for making a point.

I can surely post, my thoughts are first, I shouldnt HAVE to. Second, if I post my land, I lose certain priviledges like applying for landowner antlerlesstagin the lottery. What that is is that in VT, landowners get first draw in the lottery, then regular draw etc. This is only one example.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Maine has a simmular law that is there to help keep land open to other hunters. The laws on anterless deer permits were change to reflect this concept. With the posting of land by out-of-staters coming here trying to change the way we live. The sad part is they all come here because they liked the way we live..[&:]None the less part of the antlerless deer permit system is to reward those that do allow others hunting rights. If you do not wish to then let that be that and post it. You shouldn't be allowed to keep all the frosting off the cake anyways..
Old 01-09-2009, 01:22 PM
Spike

Phil, out of curiosity, do you own land? If so, you believe that you should use your money, time, sweat equity etc to make your land the way you want it, but someone else should have free use of everything that you do, make, improve etc? Thats why I made the "pool" post. To make the point that just because there arent signs saying so, doesnt give one the right to use someone elses property. If you had a pond, you'd have no problem coming home to 5, 10, 15strangers having a party on the dam, swimming, partying? After all, no posted signs in VT, NH, ME etcmeans they can use your land as they wish correct?
Old 01-09-2009, 01:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: dod_images

No doubt. I ain't ever heard of such a thing. I think you can legally be shot in TX for hunting on someone elses land.

ORIGINAL: TimberCreek

A person uses their hard earned money to purchase land and then others can freeload and trespass for free or without permission...
No ypu can't be legally shot in Texas for hunting on someone elses land however you must have permission.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

YesI own my own land and take care of my grand parents land for them while it is up for sale. If I have problems with a few going in and doing what ever they want toI would contact the local authorities to deal with that issue on an idividual basis which would solve that problem.I can kick certain ones off my land with out posting it. Most would reconized the fact a swimming pool belongs to someone else..ect..
AlthoughI have come home and had kids playing in my pool as well. Kids are going to be kids. I drive them out of there and with in a week it is back to the same ol, same ol. No sence in making to big of a fuss about the kids doing what kids do best.. Now if they were adults I would have a problem but most know better anyways.
I do not have a trout pond so I do not need to worry about that being raided though. Again if this is a big isuue with you then post it! Lets sayI was going threw your area and didn't know if it was private property or public.I saw a nice buck in your field soI stop and walk out of the road and happen to get a shot at it. I shoot it and then you come screaming at me because I shot your so called deer on your private property. Who is at fault when we have pretty much the same laws as you have?
Old 01-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Fork Horn

In West Virginia, you only have to have permission (verbal) IF the land is posted or fenced. If the land is not posted or fenced, anyone can hunt on it. The most the landowner can do on unposted or unfenced land is tell you to leave.

The only exception to the rule above is in those counties that allow Sunday Hunting. Sunday Hunting can only occur on private land and if you aren't the landowner or leaseholder, you must have written permission on you at all times.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

In California you need written permission
Old 01-10-2009, 06:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

From the OK General Hunting Regulations:

"Hunters must obtain permission to enter any posted or occupied land or land primarily devoted to farming, ranching or forestry purposes."
Consent is valid for not more than one (1) year, unless landowner, lessee, or occupant specifically grants consent for a specified period of time."
The problem in OK comes with lack of enforcement. We bought our places to hunt on: We formerlyhad chronic tresspass problems at one of our places. All our neighbors also had trespass problems. One of the primary violators was aguythe sheriff refused to arrest for trespass. Within a months time twopickup trucks belonging to trespassers, including thechronic trespasser's new Dodge diesel,were consumed ingrass fires. No more problem.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:17 AM
Typical Buck

On page 48 of the NYS Official Guide to Laws and Regulations , it states , "Always ask landowner permission permission to hunt on private land" . It's a common courtesy . Would you want someone to be wandering around your property with a gun or bow without your knowledge ?

Quick Reply: Which states require permission?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.