Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Guns anyone?

Old 01-05-2009, 07:50 PM

Default Guns anyone?

I'm looking to buy a new hunting rifle. Deer and bear mainly. But maybe even moose or elk someday.

I like the .270 WSM. But I also like the Remington 300 Ultra Mag. 300 Weatherby magnum looks like a good gun as well.

Anyone own any of these? Or have a suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Guns anyone?

I like and owned magnums ,but the higher ammo and reloading component prices get, the more appealing standard, common calibers become to me.

270, 3006 & 308 kill all that stuff way out there ,all day long.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:18 PM

I'm not too worried about the price of ammo for something that will perform better. The way I look at it, right now I pay $1.75 a shot. one shot, one deer. my meat is dirt cheap compared to what people pay for other meat. And I get to do some fun shopping.

I'm willing to pay $2.72 a shot. Get more for your money if you do your research. I just wont take it to the range

Old 01-05-2009, 08:24 PM
Spike

I say the 270 is a good bet its a good all around but if you like magnums and willing to pay like you say those won't hurt either it will definitely increase your chance of making the deer immobile by completely blowing off limbs lol
Old 01-06-2009, 04:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd go .30-06.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SWThomas

I'd go .30-06.
For the bigger animals I would bump up to a 30 caliber.
Either the one you mentioned or consider the .30-06,
as I believe this bullet is one of the most versatile loads.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

06 is hard to beat
Old 01-06-2009, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mags aren't needed for elk or moose.I'm a 7 mil fan so my choice would be either a 7x57,7-08 or a .280.Any of these would work just as well with the proper bullet/shot placement out to 400yds which is plenty far enough.If you cant get within that range you don't deserve it anyway.Plain'n simple truth.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:22 AM

Win 7mm mag would be my choice. I love mine. Can bump down to 150 gr for deer and up to 180gr for elk ect....Great gun, smooth, flat shooting and accurate.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:16 AM
Spike

The thing is, you may think ammo cost doesn't matter because it's just one shot a year...but I think you should probably fire a box or two at least before going out. Really, that seems an absolute minimum. Make sure the scope hasn't been adjusted. Remind yourself of how shouldering feels, and get into the habit of taking a knee, using a sling to pull the rifle in, or take a seat. Remind your body how to do a smooth reload with the bolt or lever to get off a second shot. I've heard stories of people who fired one specific round, from one specific manufacturer...and then found a new box shot wildly different (this, of course can be mitigated by handloading).

Buying a rifle and expecting to only take one, or two, or three shots a year seems like the wrong approach. Both the rifle, and caliber, need to be something you like to shoot and feel comfortable with. For me this was the first year hunting since I was young, but I had a friend who formerly owned a gun store and had an arsenal. I couldn't shoot her Springfield bored to .300 Win Mag, but a .308 Savage 99 fit right. The ammo was cheap to practice with (all handloads in military brass), and the 165 grain hunting loads she whipped up had enough power to enter, punch through the spine, and exit the other side with a minimal hole. If anything they were a bit too powerful for a whitetail.

I don't think you can go wrong with any caliber that has been mentioned (and some that haven't been mentioned). Find a rifle that you love, and don't worry if it's the perfect caliber. Then shoot it until you feel comfortable.

Quick Reply: Guns anyone?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.