Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Guns anyone?

Old 01-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Guns anyone?

Don't get me wrong ... but .... during a typical season I will hunt with probably 40-50 different folks. I know of none that use any of these 3 cartridges. Why ? Right off the bat I would think that some might be the expense of factory ammo. You shoot say 200-300 rounds at the range, which I would think would be a minimum each year to keep in tune with the rifle .... you are talking $400 - $500. The other is that you are going to have a problem finding a wide selection of any of these cartridges, if any at all, once you get off the beaten path. Nothing wrong with a 30.06 Spr. for a one gun selection.

Having said that ... of these, the 300 RUM seems to be the most versatile.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: J The Deer Slayer

The way I look at it, right now I pay $1.75 a shot. one shot, one deer. my meat is dirt cheap compared to what people pay for other meat.
This statement is hilarious. I just wish that the price of my ammo was all that I had in my venison. If so, I would be eating really cheap. I am reloading my hunting rounds for under 50 cents per shot.

Truth is, I could literally eat T-bones every day of the year for what I spend on hunting and still probably save money. I would bet that most if not all hunters could do the same, but it is not about the money or the meat for me. I just love to hunt.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:44 PM

The most expensive part of hunting is the gun and scope. I just want something that will do all I want it it. I would reload my ammo myself but I don't have time to do that. I'm a student athlete and I work on my family's farm. I don't support a family. I don't pay taxes or anything like that. I don't pay to go on big hunting trip to a deer ranch to kill a deer with a big rack, I walk out in the back yard. I don't pay someone to butcher my deer for me. I drag the thing home to my shed and use the same knife that I sharpen myself whenever it needs it. I sure don't go to a shooting range to shoot up a box or two of ammo just to see what I can find out at my house. I understand shot placement is important. Once I sight in my gun so I can hit anything I aim at, I take it in the woods and shoot bottles at the ranges and places I'm expecting to be hunting at. Then it sits in the safe til hunting season starts. Then I take it to kill deer because that of of the few things I'm good at.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: J The Deer Slayer

I'm not too worried about the price of ammo for something that will perform better. The way I look at it, right now I pay $1.75 a shot. one shot, one deer. my meat is dirt cheap compared to what people pay for other meat. And I get to do some fun shopping.

I'm willing to pay $2.72 a shot. Get more for your money if you do your research. I just wont take it to the range
Well in that case then get yourself a TC and you can get multiple barrels and use your magnums on your elk and moose even though you dont need it but it only will help in puttin them down. WCL
Old 01-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Gromky

The thing is, you may think ammo cost doesn't matter because it's just one shot a year...but I think you should probably fire a box or two at least before going out. Really, that seems an absolute minimum. Make sure the scope hasn't been adjusted. Remind yourself of how shouldering feels, and get into the habit of taking a knee, using a sling to pull the rifle in, or take a seat. Remind your body how to do a smooth reload with the bolt or lever to get off a second shot. I've heard stories of people who fired one specific round, from one specific manufacturer...and then found a new box shot wildly different (this, of course can be mitigated by handloading).

Buying a rifle and expecting to only take one, or two, or three shots a year seems like the wrong approach.
I would have to dissagree. Where is the need to shoot alot if you know your going to be sitting in a stand taking restign shots at all of your game. Thats no different than shooting at a range. Go to the range take two shots if its on and you drilled your target why keep practicing. Some people cant afford to shoot alot nor need to shoot alot depending on their situation. I put a scope on the muzzeloader this year took 5 shots to sight it in and first shot at a doe she dropped. If you are comfortable with your equipment and know it shoots true and check it before the season great if you want to shoot alot and practice everythign thats great too. WCL
Old 01-08-2009, 09:09 PM
Banned

I'd stick with either a 270 or a 30-06. Nothing you hunt in VA is going to requirea magnum caliber. If you want something a littledifferent than some of the "norm" calibers,split the difference and get a 280. I'dhave to agree about the cost of ammo. I've been shooting Barnes TSX.Pretty pricey, but when my wife freaked about an article about lead in pregnant women, I figured what the heck. So look at all the other hunting crap you buy, whats another few bucks on premium ammo?
Old 01-08-2009, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mojotex

Don't get me wrong ... but .... during a typical season I will hunt with probably 40-50 different folks. I know of none that use any of these 3 cartridges. Why ? Right off the bat I would think that some might be the expense of factory ammo. You shoot say 200-300 rounds at the range, which I would think would be a minimum each year to keep in tune with the rifle .... you are talking $400 - $500. The other is that you are going to have a problem finding a wide selection of any of these cartridges, if any at all, once you get off the beaten path. Nothing wrong with a 30.06 Spr. for a one gun selection.

HUH????????? You hunt with 40-50 people and non of them shoot a 300 or .270. I dont buy it. There really isnt a cheaper deer round out there than the .270. Besides the 3006 those two calibers are some of the most common deer hunting rifles out there. Unless these 40-50 poepl are hunting shotgun only I dont beleive non of them hunt with eitehr of these two choices......... Now or the other big hh???????? What hunter shoots 200-300 rounds a year with their rifle. That is just rediculous unless you beleive that a deers vitals are the size of a quarter. I'm very confused by your logic here. WCL
Old 01-09-2009, 05:18 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: wingchaser_labs

ORIGINAL: Mojotex

HUH????????? You hunt with 40-50 people and non of them shoot a 300 or .270. I dont buy it. There really isnt a cheaper deer round out there than the .270. Besides the 3006 those two calibers are some of the most common deer hunting rifles out there. Unless these 40-50 poepl are hunting shotgun only I dont beleive non of them hunt with eitehr of these two choices......... Now or the other big hh???????? What hunter shoots 200-300 rounds a year with their rifle. That is just rediculous unless you beleive that a deers vitals are the size of a quarter. I'm very confused by your logic here. WCL

+1
maybe he's a guide.... but BS on that. And who the hell shoots 200-300 rounds of hunting ammo a year? What the heck for? Whats to be "in tune" with? Shotguns are another story, that is a "feel" shot. Rifles? Uh, put X here, squeeze trigger.
What is so hard about that? I'd bet that alot of hunting rifles havent had 200-300 rounds through them in their lifetime.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:11 AM

I live in alberta canada.. every year i have a tag in my pocket for deer, elk, bear, and on occasion a moose. You dont need a magnum anything for what you want to hunt.. I use a 06 for everything, it shoots very well to 350 yards. Buddy has a 300 mag and his distance isa lil bitlonger.. but ill tell you he shoots a whitetail with that magnum and you are tossing away 30% of the available meat on that animal,, and he takes almost twice the kick with that gun! get an 06 with a good scope,, get some good shooting 165 grain bullets and you can kill any animal in north america with that round!
Old 01-09-2009, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SwampTHING

I live in alberta canada.. every year i have a tag in my pocket for deer, elk, bear, and on occasion a moose. You dont need a magnum anything for what you want to hunt.. I use a 06 for everything, it shoots very well to 350 yards. Buddy has a 300 mag and his distance isa lil bitlonger.. but ill tell you he shoots a whitetail with that magnum and you are tossing away 30% of the available meat on that animal,, and he takes almost twice the kick with that gun! get an 06 with a good scope,, get some good shooting 165 grain bullets and you can kill any animal in north america with that round!
300 Win. Mag. shoots the exact same bullets as the 06. A little more velocity is the only difference. I've shot several deer with the 300, and had minimal meat damage. The worst damage I have seen done to a deer, as far as meat , was done by a 22-250!

Quick Reply: Guns anyone?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.