Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dear in Heavy Rain

Old 01-03-2009, 07:47 AM
Spike

Default Dear in Heavy Rain

Has anyone found that Deer will take shelter under interstate bridges during heavy downpours? I am thinking about staking out a game trail that leads under a interstate this evening. Got some bad weather coming and for some stupid reason I love hunting in the rain. Even my dogs have enough sense to go inside when it rains!!

I know they will seek shelter under coniferous trees, but figured if they have a bridge with a stream running under the interstate then why wouldn't they take advantage of it.

Stan
Old 01-03-2009, 09:23 AM
Spike

Default RE: Dear in Heavy Rain

It is worth a shot. Give it a try and see what happens. You just may have found a great honey hole. Let us know how it works.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:26 AM

It's good to know I'm not the only one that likes to get soaked chasing deer around! I have found that where I live lots of the deer bed down when it rains. So, when it rains, I like to walk around the woods and see if I can spook one up and get a quick shot off. Sometimes if you whistle at them they'll stop. But you better make sure you have a bead on it cause they wont stop long.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:53 AM
Typical Buck

I have a similar setup near me that I wondered about.

I saw tons of deer tracks running along the rivers edge under a bridge where I-85 crossed over that river. So I put up a game camera. Turns out they would only travel it at night. Not one daytime shot out of maybe 50.

I recommend doingwhatJ suggested. I stalk in the rain as well. They usually are bedded in the thick and nasty pines/briars. The rain masks your scent and alot of the noise you are going to make in there. Carry a shotgun with some buckshot if legal.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:57 PM

I've always liked hunting in the rain. Spot and stalk always does me best unless it's a really light rain then I just sit my stand. Never heard or thought of deer usingan interstate bridge for cover,but who knows. Way to think out of the box!
Old 01-04-2009, 05:04 AM
Spike

Well, as they say, "sometimes the best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry". The only rain proof clothing I have is for colder weather, but I figured the rain would put a chill in the air. Left the house at 3:00 and it was a light rain, but supposed to get pretty heavy by 4pm. By 4pm, the sun was out and I was sweating my arse off! By 5:30 I couldn't take it anymore so I got in my car and headed home. At 5:45 we had a flash flood.

Sometimes man!! Sometimes.

Stan