Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

30-30 And Shoulder Shots

Old 01-02-2009, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default 30-30 And Shoulder Shots

Thinking of buying my 8 year old son a 30-30 Marlin to hunt with next year.Just wondering how many on here shoot for shoulder shots using a 30-30 and what type of results did you have with it.Also what ammo were you using for hunting and how did it perform?I use to use one for about 8 years but always shot lung shots but not any more as I need to slow them down real quick or flat out drop them there where they stand due to the thick mountains I hunt so a lever is essential for a fast shot if needed and to keep them from running onto posted property.I use a Marlin 45-70 so I like my lever actions.Thanks Alot! Mike
Old 01-02-2009, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 30-30 And Shoulder Shots

My first deer rifle was a Marlin 30-30. My father always told me to shoot for the shoulder, and I always did and never had a problem with it. Deer always dropped dead in their tracks. I shot the Winchester 150 grain Power Point ammo. Then again, I always hunted thick woods and the furthest shot I ever took on a deer with that set up was around 80 yards, so I don't know how well it would do on a big buck at 100+ yards.

The 30-30 is a great deer rifle and I still use mine every year from time to time.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Any 30-30 factory load designed for deer hunting ( which includes almost all of them except the Rem Xcellerator) will drop ANY whitetail, mule deer, or blacktail on this continent with a solid shoulder shot...

We're talking DEER here, not moose or elk, although many moose and elk have dropped to shoulder shots from the 30-30 also , and they are a LOT bigger than deer..

Old 01-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pygmy

Any 30-30 factory load designed for deer hunting ( which includes almost all of them except the Rem Xcellerator) will drop ANY whitetail, mule deer, or blacktail on this continent with a solid shoulder shot...

We're talking DEER here, not moose or elk, although many moose and elk have dropped to shoulder shots from the 30-30 also , and they are a LOT bigger than deer..
Same here. Take a look at the Hornady LeverEvolution bullets, I have dropped deer with them and corelokts.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

One of my grandsons got a 30-30 Marlin for Christmas and I helped sight it in a few days ago. I did not like the rifle, especially for a youngster. Very clumbsy, awkward to load, shootand handle for me, much less a youngster. I would highly recommend getting a bolt action .243 or a breech load .243 for a youngster, with a nice scope. Find a Marlin and shoot it a few times yourself before you go that route for a youngster......
Old 01-02-2009, 11:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't shot alot with my 30-30 marlin. But I did notice while hunting with it holding the lever would cause it to open from time to time. It was a bit annoying. However, if a younger kid treats it like a single shot it probably will be fine. Meaning not worrying about the follow up shot until later. I do this with my daughter with my shotgun.

It's been a while since I've shot my 30-30 but alot of deer have fallen to that round. I cannot use a rifle here so the Shotgun gets all the woods time.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

My 30/30 is practically the only rifle I use for deer hunting. For me it would be hard to find a better rifle. I don't go for the shoulder shots with it but it should do well on the shoulder at reasonable range with the right round.
I use the Corelokt and the Leverevolution . . . .I won't speak for the Leverevolution for a shoulder shot as I hav'nt been using them long enough to know whether they would hold up to penetrate both shoulders or not. I know that the Corelokt will.
Actually, this is the first yr that I have been using the Leverevolution but so far I am well pleased with the round. I've killed three with it this yr . . .it seems to fragment causing a lot of damage when going for a lung shot. . . .Still, I may go back to the Corelokt. The beauty of these two rounds in my rifle tho is that they bot zero the same.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:01 AM

I got my son a NEF handi rifle in 270 and its great,,easy to use very accurate,he kills deer with it.his first was when he was 11
Old 01-03-2009, 09:26 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

One of my grandsons got a 30-30 Marlin for Christmas and I helped sight it in a few days ago. I did not like the rifle, especially for a youngster. Very clumbsy, awkward to load, shootand handle for me, much less a youngster. I would highly recommend getting a bolt action .243 or a breech load .243 for a youngster, with a nice scope. Find a Marlin and shoot it a few times yourself before you go that route for a youngster......
Same thoughts here!
Old 01-03-2009, 09:29 AM
Spike

30-30 is the only gun I have ever used for deer hunting for the last 22 years. I have shot countless deer in the shoulders and have never had a problem. A few years ago I changed from Remington to Hornady and I have not looked back. The Hornady shells allow me to shoot farther and still have very good knock down power. The gun does take a little time to get use to but I think it is a very safe and effective gun. In a couple of years when my son comes of age he will be using it for his deer rifle. Just my two cents.

Quick Reply: 30-30 And Shoulder Shots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.