Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Difference between a Button Buck and a Doe? >

Difference between a Button Buck and a Doe?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Difference between a Button Buck and a Doe?

Old 01-02-2009, 01:53 PM

Default RE: Difference between a Button Buck and a Doe?

The only thing I can say is to make sure that you shoot larger deer. Here in Louisiana if you stick to about a 75# minimum you can usually weed out the fawns. Both buck fawns and doe fawns. As for the one who said there was a bb that dressed out at 105# I guess I'd just have to take my lick on that one. There's no way that if I saw that deer and was planning on taking a doe that I'd pass it up. Good binocs are a must.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good glass, either scope or binocs are a must. A lot of times the button will come in the field first, usually by himself. A lot of times their coat will be a little darker than a doe. The head is blocky looking. Main thing is to look carefully at the head with good glass.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just ask him?
Old 01-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Typical Buck

Here some things that might help.
Many times (but not always) a button buck will travel alone. Adult does will not. They travel with other deer.

[/align]If you are watching a group of deer enter an opening or a food plot, typically an adult deer will stand for moments to scan the area before entering it. Whereas a young buck (or fawn doe) will just dart out into the area. [/align]An adult doe will have more of a rectangular body whereas the button buck body is more square and box-like. [/align]
[/align]An adult doe will have a longer next and snout. A young button buck will have a shortened snout and and not as lengthy a neck. [/align]
[/align]An adult doe also has a more rounded head between it's ears whereas the young button buck has more of a flat area between the ears. [/align][/align][/align]Spudrow from MO[/align][/align][/align]
jQuery('.Article .Steps .Image').each(function(i,e){
var _$this = jQuery(this);

_$this.find('img').error(function(){
jQuery(this).remove();
_$this.remove();
});
});

Old 01-02-2009, 10:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Jimmy S

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Jimmy S

I don't have aproblem shooting an anterless deer that dresses at 100+ pounds, even if it is a button buck.
I have to yet to ever see a BB every dress out 100 pounds. And thats from Canada, to Maine to whereever.

People often misjudge the size of a deer IMO.
Oct 31, 2005 - Button Buck dressed 104 pounds, shot in Deerfield NH.
My mom shot a BB here In Minnesota with her bow that dressed 90lbs In the 2nd week of September. That BB easily would of dressed out over 100lbs later In the year. The last day of season this year I had a BB at 8 yards and could of shot him. He Is by far the biggest BB I've ever saw. I know he would dress over 100lbs and I'm not one to over judge deer on weight, I'm usually lower then everyone on the weight stuff. And yes BC, most people are way off on weights of animals. No one weighs there animals, they just guess.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

The only sure way is to look for buttons. Can’t get much more straight forward than that.
Exactly! I've saw what I thought were big BB's that later ended up being doe fawns. The buttons IMO Is the only clear way to know for sure.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm very careful about shooting a lone deer. I don't want to shoot fawn does either, so I go more by size than whether they have buttons. I've never seen a button buck or buck fawn as I call them or doe fawn weight much more than 70# live weight. Earlier in the season they're even smaller. A button buck weighing 100# dressed would be just as large as a mature doe, and I doubt if that is possible. I try to wait til I see a doe with fawn with them so I can distinguish the size difference. When bowhunting I have no problem telling a full grown doe from a buck fawn, but sometimes at rifle distance it takes a little more looking.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:10 AM
Spike

glad I don't have to worry about it here in FL. Here it's either "antlered" or "antlerless". "Antlered" = 5"+ above the hairline. We don't have a "doe" season but instead an "anterless" season.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

A button buck weighing 100# dressed would be just as large as a mature doe, and I doubt if that is possible.
In most area's of the USA I'd say this Is true but up here In Minnesota and Canada It's very possible for a BB to reach this weight.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:50 AM
Fork Horn

BB's have short stalky bodies, Doe's are usually longer bodied, and have longer skinnier necks. The head on BB are usually short snouted, and flat on top( with occasional visibal buttons) Doe's have longer snouts, and there heads aren't flat in between the ears. I can tell just by the face of a deer if its a fawn, or mature doe. I try not to shoot any fawns just because of the difference in meat You get. The average fawn around here prolly weighs 80-100 pounds on the hoof. The average mature Doe prolly weighs 160-180 on hoof. Also like the others have said BB's usually travel alone.

Quick Reply: Difference between a Button Buck and a Doe?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.