Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Making windows for hunting tower? >

Making windows for hunting tower?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Making windows for hunting tower?

Old 04-09-2003, 06:19 PM

Default Making windows for hunting tower?

We are building a 5x5 hunting tower. I need a little help on building some flip in windows (four 3' x2" )iWas thinking of using plexy glass and building a treated wood frame. The window frame would be hinged on the top and will swing in and up. The whole window and frame would then hook to the ceiling. New windows are about 70$ a piece, a little much to invest in a stand. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

eddie
Old 04-09-2003, 06:44 PM

Default RE: Making windows for hunting tower?

I had a stand a few years ago in which I used windows from an old travel trailer. They were about that size, maybe a little longer. If you know of a mobile home dealer that may have scrap trailers, you might find a few bargains. But your idea may be the best, less chance of breakage, but as they age the view through them tends to get fuzzy.
Old 04-10-2003, 02:36 AM

In the middle of building one in my garage right now. I made my windows to slide straight down when opening.

I took a 2" x2" , cut a 3/4" by 3/4" groove down the length of it, and screwed it on top of the 2" x2" wall stud that framed the window opening (one on each side of course). The 1/4" glass just slides up and down in the groove, with strips of thin carpet spacers in the groove for a silent slide surface. Hard to describe, but its about as simple as it gets in design. Next time I think I would make the track out of metal, so there would be no possibility of the wood swelling and sticking the window.

On the outside of the blind I am building sheet metal " shutters" that slide up over the windows to protect the glass and keep out any weather during the off season. They work in the same basic way, just on the outside.

Hope that makes some sense, too bad I cant post a pic.

These shooting houses can be a lot of work to build, no wonder people shell out the big $$ for the pre-fabs.
Old 04-10-2003, 04:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Instead of Plexi-glass which will scratch and become semi seethrough I would invest a little more money and go with a piece of Lexan it stronger and scratch resistant. Or maybe go to a Place where they cut glass and get them to cut you a couple of pieces of tempered glass. Good Luck.
Old 04-10-2003, 06:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

And on the cheap end of the equation we have the " cut a hole with a chainsaw and hang a piece of croker sack over it" response............
Old 04-11-2003, 01:49 AM

I just had the nearest glass place cut me custom sized glass, 1/4" thick. Was a lot cheaper than plexiglass. He specificly recommended not using tempered glass as he said a slight tap in the wrong spot and tempered will explode in a million pieces.
These blind windows tend to fog up from your breath and you will be wiping or scraping them half the time. I would think plexi would get scratched up pretty quick.
Old 04-11-2003, 08:48 AM

He' s right, I worked for a glass company for a few years making windows and can say that the only option if you are dead set on glass would be laminated. Otherwise I' m goint to lean towards on of the newer plastics like Lexan or poly whatever.
Old 04-11-2003, 05:04 PM

lexan works pretty good .If you hinge it hinge it on the bottom that way you let it lay down so it will be less likely to get in the way when your trying to shoot
Old 04-12-2003, 05:40 AM

What is lexan? Any idea on the price of it.
Old 04-12-2003, 06:41 AM

It' s a clear plastic polimer made by GE I think just type in lexan in your search engine they have a web site that will tellyou all about it . it' s very strong an wont yellow like plexiglass.

Quick Reply: Making windows for hunting tower?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.