Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Saga of the Swamp Buck (pic Heavy!) >

Saga of the Swamp Buck (pic Heavy!)

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Saga of the Swamp Buck (pic Heavy!)

Old 12-30-2008, 04:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Saga of the Swamp Buck (pic Heavy!)

Look at that old gray scarred up muzzle! Congrats! I'd love to see some pics of his lower jaw teeth.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:35 PM
Typical Buck

Well I got him skinned, caped and cut. He was all healed up inside with no signs of infection or gang green. He was chasing does when I shot him so apperently he was not feeling under the weather. He dressed out at around 200 lbs. Its hard to tell if he was down in weight. I shot a smaller 8 point at the begining of Nov. that had an inch of fat on his back. This guy had no/zero fat. But with 2 months of rut behind him. That doesn't surprise me that he had lost all his fat. I almost wonder if this winter may have been the old dog's last "anyway". I haven't aged him yet but judging by his face he has seen a few falls go past, as well as, schooled a few young bucks.
They are darn sure tough critters. When I shot him with my bow. I thought becauseof the angle. I knew I was close to the spine. I thought I had hit below the spine and in thru the high liver. In reality I shot directly into the spine. It ricochet'd high and broke off the wing on top the vertabre. So no vital organs were hit. His loins had hair in them and were growing around that but other then loosing a 4" piece on each side they backstraps were very edible.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

great buck man congrats
Old 01-01-2009, 06:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Congrat's...............Great story & Pic's........
Old 01-01-2009, 10:13 AM
Spike

Great story, Congrats!!! Way to finish the deal..
Old 01-01-2009, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

gratz
Old 01-11-2009, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

wow thats amazing... congrats
Old 01-11-2009, 07:26 PM
Typical Buck

That is pretty awesome you stayed with him even when he was with a bigger buck. Was he the dominant one or was the other buck?
Old 01-11-2009, 07:51 PM
Fork Horn

Truly a great read!! Congratulations! What an awesome story to go along with an awesome deer. Those are the best and most memorable.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:29 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: patchholder

That is pretty awesome you stayed with him even when he was with a bigger buck. Was he the dominant one or was the other buck?
I am not real sure as to who is wearing the crown this year. Theywere hanging around together again but still harrassing does. Hehas got some age on the "big boy". So Iam thinking the bigger buckhad thedominance this year.I have numerous trail cam pics of the two together (earlier Sept. 1) but from the looks of it they are always pals except when they are rutting. By the looks of this old dog's horns,They had crossed wires atleast once over the fall. We are blessed on my spot to have several large bucks in a small area of river bottom. By relentlous scouting and using trail camera's we are able to get to know them litterally by name.

Swamp buck broad side... Big Boy in the back...

I got 4-3.5 year old bucksthat will be hardcore bone next year.I am already looking forward too it.

Quick Reply: Saga of the Swamp Buck (pic Heavy!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.