Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dip?

Old 01-01-2009, 11:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Dip?

Just about anything you can put in your body that is enjoyable is harmful in the long run. I know folks that dip, drink, smoke cigarrettes and weed, and pee from the stand, . . .seriously. Every now and then they'll kill a doe or something. While I don't hunt with them, and they have their own private little club I guess their still having a good time.
Myself, I'm scent concious and go to great lengths to keep scents down. My hunting clothes are washed in non scented detergent and then kept in a cedar tree outside. I bathe in non scented soap just before I go outside to get dressed. I place garbage bags on the truck seat to sit on while I drive to the woods. I never oil my rifle during deer season except to swab the bore. I fast before a hunt not eating or especially taking in liquids. I keep deer pellets in a freezer bag and wipe the bottom of my boots with them before walking to the stand. Plus I spray a scent killer all over myself before going to stand and after I get there. . . . . .I then climb my stand, get settled, and take a big ole dip . . . .Can the deer smell it? I'm sure they can. Even though I keep a small bottle to spit in. . . . .it's a trade off to enjoy my little vice. I've been winded before and have been busted moving around to spit in my bottle. . .more than once.
I've killed several nice deer, but then again I've been hunting and dipping for 35 yrs. I've never killed a record book deer and I believe to do so requires a lot of luck and giving oneself every advantage one can . . . . .dipping is not an advantage unless you just can't be still without it, and I agree that it takes away from scent control and keeping movement down.
I own a few acres and I feed the deer here at the house all yr round. This yr I'm not hunting my land yet but have been pretty much daily walking over it disregarding any scent considerations. It seems that deer get acclimated to scents after awhile if their not being hunted. My biggest deer have been killed right here on my place . . .no telling what the dip is doing to me in the swamp where I hunt.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

BC, when is the last time you posted anything worthwhile? I think you are only happy when you can spread your misery upon the masses.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:22 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: buttonbuckmaster

BC, when is the last time you posted anything worthwhile? I think you are only happy when you can spread your misery upon the masses.
I don't know. Lets compare how many people you have helped out with how much I have tried to help out. I get close to 10 PM's a week asking about charge wieghts, reloading help, or technical help on bows. So obviously not everyone agrees with your accessment. You just kinda joke around like a child. So maybe you ought to show us on HNI when you have posted anythng worthwhile? I am just saying.

I wish when I was 8 I had someone stomping me into a mudhole for putting that poison in my mouth. I didn't. I grew in Ky, where its culturally accepted, and everybody in my family was saying, "everyone on the football team does it, its not so bad". We even had a chewing/smoking section at our high school before it became illegal in 1988. So me here giving someone the facts in thier face is about the most worthwhile thing a person can do. But you posting funny pictures of a squirrel on her is really worth the bandwidth you waste. Your a grown man, you will have to live with your stupid decisions, but not everyone on here has too.

Listen man, I understand where you are coming from. I didn't take it too well either when someone pointed out the facts to me. In fact, I planned going to arkansas to meet them as I have been to thier place of work before in my life, (stealthy) and beating them down. I would love to find the post where this person jeered me and made fun of me. But that person opened up mind to the possibility of me quiting. Something that never came accross my mind before. Everything he said was 100% on target. All I could do is get mad, and PM him, and curse him. And maybe one day you can look back and see the same. Or maybe you won't, who knows. The tobacco people needs fools to keep them in business. How does it feel being a puppet?

Old 01-01-2009, 12:26 PM
Typical Buck

I dipped for a few years, then realized howdisgusting it is.........as far as doing it in the stand, do what you do. If it hurts, it only hurts you, so do your thing. I got friends that smoke and dip in the stand, none of my business. I say whatever makes you happy.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fool?So anyone that disagrees with you is a fool. Damn, we'll have more members than the NRA.When did I say I was addicted? I didn't say if I chewed a can a day or a year. Don't put words in my mouth, you know nothing about me. Whether the topic is hunting, religion or politics, you are never wrong. Just put that in your sig line so everyone knows the score of the game.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry
The tobacco people needs fools to keep them in business. How does it feel being a puppet?
Kind of like every other industry in America.

But let me guess....

You don't hunt from a tree stand, Drink, Drive a motor vehicle, or play with guns. Potentially more dangerous than chewing.

I'm not mad that you don't like chewing, and maybe you are truly trying to help people quit...But the way you go about doing it makes you sound like pretty arrogant. Everyone knows chewing tobacco is "bad for your health" so is everything else these days. Live your life, everyone else will live theirs.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:33 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

Kind of like every other industry in America.

But let me guess....

You don't hunt from a tree stand, Drink, Drive a motor vehicle, or play with guns. Potentially more dangerous than chewing.

I'm not mad that you don't like chewing, and maybe you are truly trying to help people quit...But the way you go about doing it makes you sound like pretty arrogant. Everyone knows chewing tobacco is "bad for your health" so is everything else these days. Live your life, everyone else will live theirs.

Whatever it takes to make people think. Hey, just trying a technique that worked on me. Maybe it won't help people. I pray it does. Brad (stealthy) is truely an azz. But ask him if I pm'd him and thanked him for caring enough to jeer me.

My posts are not aimed to the one chew a week guy. Or the guy that is not predispostioned to be addicted. Its aimed at the people that are hopelessly addicted living off the stuff from sun up to sun down. The 1-2 can person a day.

Old 01-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: kingofspring

Play the wind. Deer will smell and avoid YOU before they ever smell the dip.
I agree!
Old 01-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: WhackAndStack_CR337

Anybody else besides me like to put a pinch in, in the stand?

I know alot of people who are against it, but its never hurt me. I've seen them with one in, and i've killed with one in. Besides, the smell of wintergreen won't bother them, will it?
You don't know if it hurts you or not. Its the big boy that smelled you and skirted you that you need to worry about.

I used to dip, and smarten up after 20 years of doing it. And I can say without a doubt, I see more mature bucks now than I did when I diped.
I'm guessing you might of learned a few more things also on how to hunt mature bucks. Whether It's related to not chewing anymore on stand, one will never know.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:52 PM
Fork Horn

I always dip when I hunt, COPENHAGEN....THE BEST

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.