Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Slug Experts>>>Slug Gun Choice??? >

Slug Experts>>>Slug Gun Choice???

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Slug Experts>>>Slug Gun Choice???

Old 12-28-2008, 09:18 AM

Default Slug Experts>>>Slug Gun Choice???

Im want a slug gun.
Im deciding between
a
Remington870 w/ Cantilever rifled bbl or a
NEF Ultra slug hunter

Obviously the actions are night vs. day
Which is better for accuracy, durability.
Ive heard great things about the NEF, does its accuracy beat the 870 that much to pass on the quick 2nd shot?
This will be a deer gun only so even if I get the 870 I doubt it would be used for anything else.
Which is the better choice 12ga or 20Ga ??
I like the stopping power of a slug gun.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:01 AM

Default RE: Slug Experts>>>Slug Gun Choice???

Hello, These are the exact two shotguns my brother and I have. I the 870 and he the NEF. I would never take him on in a bench rest shooting competition, and while he could probably push a clean shot to 150 yards instead of the 125 I am comfortable at, there are some disadvantages to the NEF. One is obviously the single shot and the second would be the weight. The NEF is a very heavy gun with the bull barrel. I think it depends on your style of hunting. If almost 100% of your hunting is from a stand over grain fields where 150-175 yrds is feasible with a good rest then the NEF might be your choice. If you are sitting in timbers,stalking, or doing some drives then the 870would be a better choice.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:25 AM

Thanks for the input, I guess it would help to say most of my hunting would be in timber, from a stand. thanks.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's an informative post.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3254445
Old 12-28-2008, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

kp20129 -

You hit it right on. It really all repends on the terrain you are hunting.

My H&R is used in the open farm land fields of the thumb area of Michigan.

Have Fun!
Old 12-28-2008, 01:44 PM
Spike

i have and recommend the h&r,also have a 870 and mossberg 500 and i prefer the h&r i feel the bull barrel actually helps the gun hold steadier if shooting offhand and ive killed alot of deer in the 12 years since i bought my h&r and ive never needed a quick follow up or second shot
Old 12-28-2008, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

I have had a Ultra Slugster for 11 years and it shoots as good as a rifle at 50 yards which is where most of my shots are taken here in Virginia.Power is awesome with a slug gun and usually only 1 shot is needed.As much as I like my Ultra Slugster it is a very heavy gun and if you walk very much it does get real heavy.I do see the need for a fast second shot in the thick woods for a follow up shot no matter how experienced you are you will sometimes need a fast follow up shot and if it is a big Buck you will wish you had a 870 pump.My answer is to get the 870 pump and try some various slugs to see how it shoots and stick with a pump gun.Accuracy is great but when that Buck of a lifetime comes by you will wish you had that follow up shot to back you up!Believe me after carrying that bull barrel Ultra Slugster 2 or 3 miles it gets Real Heavy. Mike
Old 12-28-2008, 02:39 PM

I HAVE A REM 870 & I PUT DOWN DEER W/ IT.....
Old 12-28-2008, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Me too...I've never had to worry about a second shot with my H&R....if the deer is standing still when I pull the trigger the end result is a dead deer in its tracks or a short blood trail.

I always keep an extra slug close by and handy.....I know its not as fast as pumping in a round but you'd be surprised how quick you can chamber a round if you keep one close by.

Keep in mind....I'm an 870 lover too....I have 2 of them.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im an ithaca man thru and thru, but both the h&r and remingtons are very nice guns. It all comes down to personal prefrence.

Quick Reply: Slug Experts>>>Slug Gun Choice???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.