Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Slug Experts>>>Slug Gun Choice??? >

Slug Experts>>>Slug Gun Choice???

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Slug Experts>>>Slug Gun Choice???

Old 12-29-2008, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Slug Experts>>>Slug Gun Choice???

Not one of your choices, but I'd try to find a savage bolt action. Second Choice Marlin 512 Slugmaster.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

All pumps, semis, and break open guns are nothing more than bird guns w/ rifled barrels on them. Same trigger,same receiver and in many cases same stock. None of these will typically produce tight groups past ,or even at 100Yds. The bolt guns offer a much better platform and in the case of the sav210 an adjustable, rifle like trigger. They are usually heavy and not good for stalking though.

I think the real problem is in the ammo though. I just dont think a truly "rifle like accurate" slug for long range shooting has been invented yet.Ive tried at least 8 differnt brands and theres alway a "flyer" or two in every box. Slugs like winPGs,copper solid and SST are basically a 50cal sqeezed down in a huge 73 cal sabot . How can you get any real accuracy after shedding that much plastic in flight? The lightfield, and buckhammer types, are basically flying ashtrys, oddly less flyers w/ those but not very good at long ranges. Besides shotguns just plain kick! Big recoil and tight groups just dont go together.

IMO there is just no such thing as a truly accurate long range (200yd+)slug or shotgun. personally if I went back to shooting slug guns I would just shoot a "smoothie" and try to get as close as possible. ,for anything over 100yds the ML is the tool of choice, for me, for slug zones.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:23 PM
Fork Horn

I have the H&R and love it. You can always take the steel bar out of the stock to cut down on weight. They also have a thumbhole version and it ain't heavy. If you have big dollars laying around, then buy a Tarhunt slug gun.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: vadeerkiller

I have the H&R and love it. You can always take the steel bar out of the stock to cut down on weight. They also have a thumbhole version and it ain't heavy. If you have big dollars laying around, then buy a Tar hunt slug gun.
They are sweet, but I certainly can't fathom $3k for a slug gun WOW!
Old 12-29-2008, 04:44 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Edcyclopedia

ORIGINAL: vadeerkiller

I have the H&R and love it. You can always take the steel bar out of the stock to cut down on weight. They also have a thumbhole version and it ain't heavy. If you have big dollars laying around, then buy a Tar hunt slug gun.
They are sweet, but I certainly can't fathom $3k for a slug gun WOW!
I tell you what, my buddy that goes by 95harley on here has a tar, and its a fine gun. I have been wanting one for some time. Only downside of the tarhunt is its only made to hold 2 shells.

The browning A-bolt sluggers are going for a good price too.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've used a Deerslayer IIDeluxe Model 87 since 1992 - and always had great groups with it (BRI/Winchester & Lightfield) out to 150 yds.

tough to find one though -

FH
Old 12-29-2008, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...=119566572#PIC

Your not kidding look at this old dinosaur, 1750$ and its not even a rifled barrel, its a smoothie w/ a rifled choke. I couldnt find any tar hunts but ive seen guys selling them on GB for as little as 1500$!

Until someone invents a better slug I cant see spending that much on slugger. IME slug guns are the one exception to "get what ya pay for" its almost as if the cheaper ya go, the better they shoot. I think extra slug gun coin is better spent on a good scope or better yet finding ammo that shoots worth a... which can get expensive at 10-25$ per 5!
Old 12-29-2008, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: farm hunter

I've used a Deerslayer IIDeluxe Model 87 since 1992 - and always had great groups with it (BRI/Winchester & Lightfield) out to 150 yds.

tough to find one though -

FH
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3259506

I agree but a kings ferry DSII is worth looking for, heres my experience w/ the ohio factory .

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...=119210480#PIC Found one, good price!

Old 12-29-2008, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

I have the Mossberg 935 with the full rifle cantilever barrel. Nice tight groups @100 yards. Using 3" Remington Copper sabots. 95% of all my shots happen from the 100 yards or less, most of them have been about 80 yards. I use it on small ( few people ) drive and stand hunting. I switch to the VR barrel with 3 1/2" buckshot when it is fast action with very heavy cover.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

As far as I know - none of the Ithaca Model 37s came with a Rifled Barrel. You could get aftermarket Hastings Rifled barrels for the Model 37 but they were not part of the receiver. A gunsmith could "pin" it if you asked, but most times it was just locked on like any bird barrel.

The Model 87 Deerslayer II Deluxe is the Gun I have. The barrel cannot be removed, and it is fully rifled from the factory.
When they 1st came out they were hard tocome by - and although I've read some complaints - I personally had nothing but great results withthe gun. I'm not sure if the new Ithaca Deerslayer Deluxes are the same - but probably close

Quick Reply: Slug Experts>>>Slug Gun Choice???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.