Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Baiting

Old 12-27-2008, 11:08 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Baiting

I think there is a difference between the two, but one thing I cannot stand is when people call planting food plots baiting. To me the food plots that I plant are improving the habitat for all animals on our property. I am taking a piece of land and planting something that ensures a food source for everything from rabbits to birds to turkeys to deer. Most of your food plot plants such as clover aren't even a prefered source of food when it gets cold later in season. So to say that a hunter is baiting deer with a 1/2 acre of clover on his property just doesn't make sence.

There is a verybig difference between baiting and habitat improvement.Once that baitpile runs out the food is gone and there is no longer a benifit toanimals. Once you plant a food plot the benifit is going to be there for quite some time.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: Charlie P

I'll have to tell that to the guys I know that hunt the Adirondeck mountains

A MEN, brother
Old 12-27-2008, 11:51 AM

Baiting adds to the chances of spreading diseases like CWD. Food plots spread the dear out so there is no congregation in one area. No matter how you look at it wheather it is feed, scent or a call the intent is to lure the deer to you. We can all argue and try to justify one way or another all day long. I am not against baiting but it is what it is no matter how you do it. The intent is to bait the deer in to you for a shot. Put a food plot out but never hunt the area and you would be supplimental feeding and not baiting!!
Old 12-27-2008, 12:39 PM
Typical Buck

I'm goin to vote maybe so, and here is why. I have hunted over food plots, feeders, and hung stands over scouted trails. I have tracked my animals, spotted and stocked, and even did a deer drive once. Through all this I learned that it isn't just your personal preference, but also the layout of the land, the availability of cover, and the amount of land that is available for you to hunt. Just because someone in one state has 40,000 acres of public land to hunt doesn't mean that their style of hunting is going to work for someone in another state with 50 acres. Just because the guy hunting the 40,000 acres can spot and stalk and can afford to push deer into other areas, doesn't mean that the guy hunting the 50 acres can. Every hunter wants to do what they can to maximize their chance for success, and the same tactics won't always work for different hunters with different situations.

Also, I am starting to think that you guys are beating this topic around for no other reason except to argue how you are right and noone else is. Very few people are gonna change their mind, the reason being, that the person on the other side of the argument is just as stubborn as yourself.

This is directed at noone in particular, I haven't been on this forum long enough to harbor any ill feelings toward anyone. I just wanted folks to know where I stand and why, and for anyone who still has doubts about where I stand, I will say this, I am sittin on the fence.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Why would a hunter in one state even care how a hunter in another state hunted???

The American Indians ran buffalo off cliffs to kill them, wasn't too sporting, but it was effective...
Old 12-27-2008, 03:16 PM

Now you've done it! Everyone is going to want a cliff now!
Old 12-27-2008, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

"baiting" is putting a food source(anything ingestible) out to attract game for the sole purpose of harvesting.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:08 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: tim03b

Is there a difference putting outa scent wick and a food pile to attract deer? I mean arent both considered baiting???
Wouldnt both of them be considered "tricking" a deer to come in for a closer shot?
I know that. But is there a difference between baiting with a pile of corn or baiting with a scent wick that has been dipped into urine?
Old 12-29-2008, 08:42 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: tim03b

Is there a difference putting outa scent wick and a food pile to attract deer? I mean arent both considered baiting???
Wouldnt both of them be considered "tricking" a deer to come in for a closer shot?
Sure there is, Bait is food, and deer urine is a love lure.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:34 PM
Typical Buck

YALL DROP IT!!!

Quick Reply: Baiting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.