Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

SHED HUNTING

Old 12-23-2008, 09:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default SHED HUNTING

First of all, if there is a forum for shed hunting let me know, but I didn't see one.

Second, has anyone been finding sheds yet? There are usually a few that fall in december. My neighbor found a nice 9point on December 5th so I know it's possible they're out there.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: SHED HUNTING

I don't believe any healthy Illinois buck is loosing his antlers in December. You are about a month early IMO.

He11, it's still bow season and there is the late season doe hunt in January. I guess you don't bow hunt??????

I don't start finding sheds until at least February and into March.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:17 AM
Fork Horn

I've never seen a buck missing his antlers before january. I read an article that said 50% of bucks lose their antlers in february. It sounded more like speculation then scientific fact, though.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:27 AM
Typical Buck

Antler loss is greatly impacted by stresses including the severity of weather, how much hunting pressure a buck was exposed to, and how much energy he spent during the rut cycle. It can vary from year to year but some shedding can start as early as December. I've seen them carry antlers into the later part of March as well, so there is quite a large window of variance.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:33 AM
Typical Buck

Seems that a lot of deer in the far north i.e. Canada, Michigan, I think I heard of some NYdeer, areshedding already.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rogerstv

I don't believe any healthy Illinois buck is loosing his antlers in December. You are about a month early IMO.

He11, it's still bow season and there is the late season doe hunt in January. I guess you don't bow hunt??????

I don't start finding sheds until at least February and into March.

In Illinois I'd say mid Feb......I know some Joe Blow found one sooner. It depends on the deer but I think thats about average.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I start looking around the 1st of Feb in southern IL every year. Most of mine are found in March.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

few has fell off already in kentucky.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm hearing the bucks are already dropping in RI, speculation is because of poor mast crop this year. I've read this on local hunting forums and a bunch of guys are seeing bucks that have already dropped. A guy that works at the one of the local check stations says he sees bucks w/o antlers in December all the time.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:46 AM
Spike

You will find one every now and then this time of year. but to get the best out of the miles that you walk looking for them I would wait till 1st week in March, at least here in SW PA.

Good Luck Hunting them. It is a lot of fun, Good exersice for myself and Lab, good scouting oppty. I found 9 sheds last year. The most I have found in one year. I am collecting them to someday make my own antler chandilier.

Quick Reply: SHED HUNTING

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.