HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   SHED HUNTING (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/279719-shed-hunting.html)

JohnnyLonghorns 12-23-2008 09:29 AM

SHED HUNTING

First of all, if there is a forum for shed hunting let me know, but I didn't see one.

Second, has anyone been finding sheds yet? There are usually a few that fall in december. My neighbor found a nice 9point on December 5th so I know it's possible they're out there.

rogerstv 12-23-2008 11:07 AM

RE: SHED HUNTING

I don't believe any healthy Illinois buck is loosing his antlers in December. You are about a month early IMO.

He11, it's still bow season and there is the late season doe hunt in January. I guess you don't bow hunt??????

I don't start finding sheds until at least February and into March.

Crow31 12-23-2008 11:17 AM

I've never seen a buck missing his antlers before january. I read an article that said 50% of bucks lose their antlers in february. It sounded more like speculation then scientific fact, though.

IAhuntr 12-23-2008 11:27 AM

Antler loss is greatly impacted by stresses including the severity of weather, how much hunting pressure a buck was exposed to, and how much energy he spent during the rut cycle. It can vary from year to year but some shedding can start as early as December. I've seen them carry antlers into the later part of March as well, so there is quite a large window of variance.

TreednNC 12-23-2008 11:33 AM

Seems that a lot of deer in the far north i.e. Canada, Michigan, I think I heard of some NYdeer, areshedding already.

sjsfire 12-23-2008 12:05 PM

ORIGINAL: rogerstv

I don't believe any healthy Illinois buck is loosing his antlers in December. You are about a month early IMO.

He11, it's still bow season and there is the late season doe hunt in January. I guess you don't bow hunt??????

I don't start finding sheds until at least February and into March.

In Illinois I'd say mid Feb......I know some Joe Blow found one sooner. It depends on the deer but I think thats about average.

buttonbuckmaster 12-23-2008 12:16 PM

I start looking around the 1st of Feb in southern IL every year. Most of mine are found in March.

Lightsout 12-23-2008 12:58 PM

few has fell off already in kentucky.

RIStrutStopper 12-23-2008 01:58 PM

I'm hearing the bucks are already dropping in RI, speculation is because of poor mast crop this year. I've read this on local hunting forums and a bunch of guys are seeing bucks that have already dropped. A guy that works at the one of the local check stations says he sees bucks w/o antlers in December all the time.

Pahunter01 12-24-2008 04:46 AM

You will find one every now and then this time of year. but to get the best out of the miles that you walk looking for them I would wait till 1st week in March, at least here in SW PA.

Good Luck Hunting them. It is a lot of fun, Good exersice for myself and Lab, good scouting oppty. I found 9 sheds last year. The most I have found in one year. I am collecting them to someday make my own antler chandilier.