HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   More important for your hunting property to have? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/279579-more-important-your-hunting-property-have.html)

BetterBirddogs 12-22-2008 07:22 AM

More important for your hunting property to have?

Let's say your looking at prospective hunting properties. Which is more vital to have? (assuming you can't find a property with both) Bedding area? Feeding area? If you had to choose would you whether have the deer bed on your place but leave to eat or bed somewhere else and eat on your place?

SWThomas 12-22-2008 07:37 AM

RE: More important for your hunting property to have?

Feeding area. They can bed wherever they want.

skb2706 12-22-2008 07:39 AM

I choose door number three

No other hunters.

thndrchiken 12-22-2008 07:42 AM

Food and water, they can bed wherever but if they like your food they'll be back.

gregrn43 12-22-2008 10:50 AM

Its alot nice to have all three, water, feeding and bedding. I would chose water as being number one.

TreednNC 12-22-2008 11:00 AM

bedding.....can have food, but if they dont wanna come til dark they aint gonna.

virginiashadow 12-22-2008 11:09 AM

Bedding. They can eat what they want, when they want. But they can only bed in certain areas without risk of being exposed. I would pick a good bedding area over feeding area anytime.

crenshaw 12-22-2008 11:12 AM

You can create both. If you have food, plant a ton of cedars and now you have bedding, or vise versa. I chose Food on the basis that most browse that deer eat is also bedding, but if you consider it just to be a field of crops then i would take bedding and put in small food plots. You can make properties great. I made a 10acre cow pasture into a 10acre bedding area in very little time at no cost.

MOhunter46 12-22-2008 11:15 AM

bedding

Jimmy S 12-22-2008 11:55 AM

Kinda hard to answer without knowing what kind of feed is available or what type of cover the deer are using for their bedding areas. All things being equal, I would concentrate on the feeding area. The deer always know where their food source is located, which is usually at multiple places, especially if the main food source is acorns, beechnuts, ect. These type of woods seem to have available cover that offers security and cover from nasty weather.

If the main food source is found in fields or farm country, then I would certainly concentrate there.