Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hunting in snow?

Old 12-19-2008, 04:34 PM

Default hunting in snow?

It just snowed here like about a foot,and im going to my mz hunthing this weeknd,do the deer move diffrent in the snow? Also where should i look for them,im not used to hunting in snow. Any other tips would be nice.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: hunting in snow?

I am not sure what type of trees you have out there. Here I like to look for sign under tall hemlock trees. The trees provide shelter from the wind and has less snow accummulation under them. The deer will wander out from them to find food however. Here the deer stay pretty tight for a little while after the first snow but then start moving around in serch of food farther away.I have also been able to catch them bedding down in small fur trees as well. They appear to like the older trees better.
Good luck hunting for them.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

We generally find them bedded up on the ledges and in the pines with a fresh hefty snow cover. My favorite time to be in the woods with the gun to still hunt...

Old 12-21-2008, 11:06 AM
Fork Horn

I live in sw MO, we generally don't get a lot of heavy snows. 1 or 2 inches. Every now and then we'll get a foot. I love hunting in it because you can get around very quiet. We had a pretty heavy snow a couple of years ago and i got out in it. I was walking along this river bottom that didn't have much but a few large sycamores and a chewed down pasture. I was heading farther down the river where I knew of some good bedding areas. So I was walking through these sycamores, confident that nothing was around, when this decent buck jumped up and scared the s**t out of me. He was gone in a flash, didn't get a shot. He had bedded right at the very base of one of those trees, on the downwind side, in the middle of a cow pasture!
Old 12-21-2008, 01:09 PM
Typical Buck

I would start at the food source, and backtrack to the bedding and set up near the bedding cover. That can work great, but it can also fail if there bedding where they can smell or see you coming, or if there are no tracks cause its snowing or blowing... Here is another tip that has worked for me a couple times in new fresh snow and land where I had not done much prescouting... Try dressing in white and sneaking into the side of bedding areas very slowly. I don't like to keep the wind "in my face" as they say, but rather use a cross wind cause bedded deer tend to stair downwind while smelling what is behind them... The cross wind approach gives you his vulnerable side
Old 12-21-2008, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

so you guys would reccommend still hunting rather than hunting a blind or stand in the snow?
Old 12-21-2008, 04:55 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11/OH

so you guys would reccommend still hunting rather than hunting a blind or stand in the snow?
Not really... Just suggesting keeping open minded about options. If you read my answer,
it started with backtracking from food to bedding... Still hunting does work well if there is blowing snow or other visual obstacles though, and should not be ruled out...

One other tactic I have used with some success is to widely circle known bedding areas for fresh tracks leading in from the morning and then setting up as close as possible.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

is bowhunting still hunting hard? and how do you go about still hunting?
Old 12-22-2008, 07:43 AM

Well my 2nd deer I got this year was just after we got about 6" inches of snow the night before. The deer I got fallowed the most of the samepaths as normal. We just got 11 more inches of snow and I was looking at the back yard and I see the paths and trails that when we did not get snow. Only diiferance I saw is the trails is where they had to go though tall grass in the snow they are not using. They are moving over to the paths where they do not have to go though the tall weeds and grass. That is the only thing I see different. They are still walking right by my deer stand that is still out there. (can not take it down till spring. Ground is so soft that I had to sink it into the ground. Now about 6" of it is frozen in the ground)
Old 12-22-2008, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Scouting is in orer here. The snow will answer a lot of questions on where the deer are traveling, feeding and bedding. It's sometimes a big puzzle and snow can help fill in the pieces.