Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 wats you view on running deer with dogs >

wats you view on running deer with dogs

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

wats you view on running deer with dogs

Old 12-18-2008, 09:49 PM

Default wats you view on running deer with dogs

Old 12-18-2008, 09:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: wats you view on running deer with dogs

I see nothing wrong with using a small dog no more than 12-15lbs to help drive the deer to get them moving in very heavy cover. But never large dogs that could possibly catch and tear apart the deer. If I ever see that I will stop it.

ORIGINAL: trophytaker3006

Old 12-18-2008, 10:09 PM
Typical Buck

My view is that this topic has been gone overone too many timesin the last couple of weeks
Old 12-19-2008, 07:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

As long as you have enough land that you do not interfere with others I have no problem with it. I've hunted with dogs many years in the past. The problem is when you/your dogs get on others hunting lands or land that the land owner doesn't want anybody or their dogs on the property. The idea of using dogs for hunting deer is just as ethical as using bird dogs, rabbit dogs or any other legal dog hunting method.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Doesn't matter to me. Not legal in Missouri anyway, so I could care less.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:14 AM
Dominant Buck

I think it is a regional thing and where legal I don't have a problem with it on private land only as long as it doesn't affect others. Not the way I would hunt though.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

As long as you have enough land that you do not interfere with others I have no problem with it. I've hunted with dogs many years in the past. The problem is when you/your dogs get on others hunting lands or land that the land owner doesn't want anybody or their dogs on the property. The idea of using dogs for hunting deer is just as ethical as using bird dogs, rabbit dogs or any other legal dog hunting method.
Agreed, i hunt in clubs with 40,000 and 90,000 continuous acres. A dog can run for days and never come off club land. Believe me, it's more sport to kill a deer in front of dogs than to kill him 20 ft in a tree when he least least expects it.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jrfrmn

I see nothing wrong with using a small dog no more than 12-15lbs to help drive the deer to get them moving in very heavy cover. But never large dogs that could possibly catch and tear apart the deer. If I ever see that I will stop it.

ORIGINAL: trophytaker3006

This is a myth. Never seen or heard of a pack of dogs catching a healthy deer, in fact I have seenalotof deer that have been shot still out run the dogs.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:55 AM
Fork Horn

quote:

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

Agreed, i hunt in clubs with 40,000 and 90,000 continuous acres. A dog can run for days and never come off club land. Believe me, it's more sport to kill a deer in front of dogs than to kill him 20 ft in a tree when he least least expects it.

I don't know if I would go as far to say it is "more sport" running dogs than sitting in a blind. I agree though that if it's legal go for it. Also as long as they don't affect hunting for other hunters.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bryant1

Believe me, it's more sport to kill a deer in front of dogs than to kill him 20 ft in a tree when he least least expects it.
Not sure what to say to that one.

Quick Reply: wats you view on running deer with dogs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.