HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   wats you view on running deer with dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/279159-wats-you-view-running-deer-dogs.html)

trophytaker3006 12-18-2008 09:49 PM

wats you view on running deer with dogs

jrfrmn 12-18-2008 09:58 PM

RE: wats you view on running deer with dogs

I see nothing wrong with using a small dog no more than 12-15lbs to help drive the deer to get them moving in very heavy cover. But never large dogs that could possibly catch and tear apart the deer. If I ever see that I will stop it.

ORIGINAL: trophytaker3006

StruttinGobbler3 12-18-2008 10:09 PM

My view is that this topic has been gone overone too many timesin the last couple of weeks ;)

timbercruiser 12-19-2008 07:09 AM

As long as you have enough land that you do not interfere with others I have no problem with it. I've hunted with dogs many years in the past. The problem is when you/your dogs get on others hunting lands or land that the land owner doesn't want anybody or their dogs on the property. The idea of using dogs for hunting deer is just as ethical as using bird dogs, rabbit dogs or any other legal dog hunting method.

Rory/MO 12-19-2008 07:12 AM

Doesn't matter to me. Not legal in Missouri anyway, so I could care less.

Champlain Islander 12-19-2008 07:14 AM

I think it is a regional thing and where legal I don't have a problem with it on private land only as long as it doesn't affect others. Not the way I would hunt though.

bryant1 12-19-2008 07:15 AM

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

As long as you have enough land that you do not interfere with others I have no problem with it. I've hunted with dogs many years in the past. The problem is when you/your dogs get on others hunting lands or land that the land owner doesn't want anybody or their dogs on the property. The idea of using dogs for hunting deer is just as ethical as using bird dogs, rabbit dogs or any other legal dog hunting method.
Agreed, i hunt in clubs with 40,000 and 90,000 continuous acres. A dog can run for days and never come off club land. Believe me, it's more sport to kill a deer in front of dogs than to kill him 20 ft in a tree when he least least expects it.

bryant1 12-19-2008 07:19 AM

ORIGINAL: jrfrmn

I see nothing wrong with using a small dog no more than 12-15lbs to help drive the deer to get them moving in very heavy cover. But never large dogs that could possibly catch and tear apart the deer. If I ever see that I will stop it.

ORIGINAL: trophytaker3006

This is a myth. Never seen or heard of a pack of dogs catching a healthy deer, in fact I have seenalotof deer that have been shot still out run the dogs.

huntr4lfe 12-19-2008 07:55 AM

quote:

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

Agreed, i hunt in clubs with 40,000 and 90,000 continuous acres. A dog can run for days and never come off club land. Believe me, it's more sport to kill a deer in front of dogs than to kill him 20 ft in a tree when he least least expects it.

I don't know if I would go as far to say it is "more sport" running dogs than sitting in a blind. I agree though that if it's legal go for it. Also as long as they don't affect hunting for other hunters.

Rory/MO 12-19-2008 07:58 AM

ORIGINAL: bryant1

Believe me, it's more sport to kill a deer in front of dogs than to kill him 20 ft in a tree when he least least expects it.
:eek:Not sure what to say to that one.

Ricky M 12-19-2008 08:12 AM

Whats the difference in running deer or running rabbits?
People have ran rabbits with dogs for 100's of years and its legal.

As long as its done right.
I see nothing wrong with it.

Gangly 12-19-2008 08:37 AM

This past hunting trip in Arkansas I was walking to my stand on approx 800 acres of private property that does not allow dog hunting, and out pops 3 dogs on the walking trail to my stand. These dogs followed me to my stand, hovered around a little while, then walked off. Come to find out, they walked over to where my father was at, pissed on his stand, walked over to the feeder, pissed on the feeder, then ran through the woods around him until dark. I have no problem with running dogs for deer, but i have a HUGE problem with dog owners who cant seem to keep track of their dogs. If you cant keep track of your dogs, you shouldn't be running them. If you are running your dogs next to private property that doesnt allow running of the dogs, you should not run them near that property line. The dogs running after deer on private property is the same as the owner hunting deer on property he isn't supposed to be on. Again, i have no problem with people who run their dogs after deer, but more hunts have been ruined by careless dog owners allowing their dogs onto private property than anything else where I hunt. My father and I wont shoot the dogs, but my uncles and cousins have no reservations about doing so. Thus, many dogs have not left the property once they arrived.

BigDoeKilla 12-19-2008 08:52 AM

Let em run!!!

BigDoeKilla 12-19-2008 09:05 AM

I feel sorry for this guy. Shooting someone's dogs is like shooting a family member. It wouldn't fly where I'm from.

BigDoeKilla 12-19-2008 09:06 AM

I'm refering to Gangly

BigDaddy12t 12-19-2008 09:18 AM

JMO, I dont think running deer with dogs is even hunting.[:'(]

trophytaker3006 12-19-2008 09:22 AM

im from arkansas were running dogs is just a way of life. And we do everything we can to keep dogs off of others properity but our dogs sumtimes will runfor 3 and 4 miles but as much as we try to keep them off they do get on the private land sumtimes

NEW61375 12-19-2008 09:25 AM

I guess in states where it is not legal that might be considered unethical but other than that what is unethical about someone using a dog for hunting?

NEW61375 12-19-2008 10:18 AM

Apperently there areseveral people that think it is unethical, I am just curious in what way do you feel it is unethical?

Don't get me wrong I understand people either do it or have the it's not for me thing, which I get,I just can't see unethical.

bcvd45 12-19-2008 10:18 AM

Personally I would not do it....it just seems like it is taking the hunting out of hunting.

NEW61375 12-19-2008 10:23 AM

ORIGINAL: bcvd45

Personally I would not do it....it just seems like it is taking the hunting out of hunting.
Have you dog hunted much? Unethical for deer or all game animals, birds, rabbits, squirrels, etc.? If just deer, why?

Dogs for hunting is centuries old from the first pioneers, toIndians to ancient Egyptians many cultures have realized that using a dog as a hunting tool is effective.

1shotkill1993 12-19-2008 10:38 AM

Any dog huntin on a big game animal is unethical. Bear hunting with dogs for instance, how could you feel good about killing a bear that has been run around by dogs until it can't run anymore and it climbs up a tree. Its just a helpless animal. I'm sorry, but I will never go on a hunt like that.

Honestly, I don't know how you would deer hunt with dogs. But I assume its the same thing? No way I would do it.

And I get tired of having people run their dogs around, pretty much ruining my hunt.

NEW61375 12-19-2008 10:51 AM

ORIGINAL: 1shotkill1993

Any dog huntin on a big game animal is unethical. Bear hunting with dogs for instance, how could you feel good about killing a bear that has been run around by dogs until it can't run anymore and it climbs up a tree. Its just a helpless animal. I'm sorry, but I will never go on a hunt like that.

Honestly, I don't know how you would deer hunt with dogs. But I assume its the same thing? No way I would do it.

And I get tired of having people run their dogs around, pretty much ruining my hunt.
Actually deer can't climb trees. jk ;) "It's just a helpless animal"...? That my friend is a slippery slope.

Still not getting it, I understand a person might not choose to do it but what is unethical about it?

unethical:

Definition: dishonest, immoral

salukipv1 12-19-2008 10:58 AM

where can you run deer with dogs? not here, no thanks. Learn to hunt without them....

NEW61375 12-19-2008 10:59 AM

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

where can you run deer with dogs? not here, no thanks. Learn to hunt without them....

Yeah cuz that's real hard.

Lanse couche couche 12-19-2008 11:00 AM

They do it in several southern states. It is a controversy somewhat along the lines of those going on with coon hunting and coyote hunting in Illinois in recent years.

huntr4lfe 12-19-2008 12:39 PM

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Phil from Maine 12-19-2008 12:44 PM

Here it is not legal soI can give no input on this subject. If it is legal in your state then there must be a reason why it is. So if it's legal then why shouldn't they be allowed to?

Deleted User 12-19-2008 12:45 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Lanse couche couche 12-19-2008 12:50 PM

Not sure how running deer with dogs is any less hunting than taking a 20 yard broadside shot at a deer from a deer stand. But, i think that i will pass on any further discussion here since threads on this topic inevitably degenerate into the intellectual equivalent of feeding time for the retards at a Bulgarian orphanage.

As a final comment i will say that it is interesting to note that current efforts to ban use of dogs for deer hunting generally involve some pretty strange relations between hunters that dont like the practice and animal rights groups that are eager to ban all sorts of hunting that uses dogs. Of course, once they stop stuff like that, guess who is next?

NEW61375 12-19-2008 01:14 PM

ORIGINAL: huntr4lfe

I couldn't have said it better myself.
Lets analyze this thought process for a moment. I'm assuming some feel it's not sporting or "fair" to the deer.

Well generally speakinghunting never has been and never will be fair, they are deer. Their brain is the size of a pear, not capable of complex thought or complex communication. Ours is exactly the opposite(most of usanyway), which makes for the most part "hunting" deer easy(in a sense).

All of you guys that are doing the real "hunting" and of course not using dogs let me ask yousome questions.

Do you use a compound, rifle, shotgun?
Scopes, optics, rangefinders?
Grunt calls, rattling antlers, bleat cans?
Doe pee, buck pee, cover scents?
Food plots, bait stations, trail cameras?
Aerial photos, topo maps, mountains of other hunting info resources?

Yeah real fair guys, way to go. Now that's hunting.

Just playing devils advocate as Itoo use all of the above plus more and I am a die hard still hunter as well, but if I use a dog as a tool to hunt the thickest, nastiestparts of the land I can hunt during firearms seasonI'm not hunting?If you say so.

NEW61375 12-19-2008 01:20 PM

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

Dont care, not legal here in NJ.

If it were to be considered, I'd fight with tooth and nail, along with every other hunter I know.

We're not about deer population control or hunting for meat, we're about hunting big, mature bucks...so an alreaady WAY too long gun seaosn AND the use of dogs would kill our deer herd in this State.

Those States that allow dogs, you can keep them !
How many does do you kill each season Drop?

This question (for anyone) usually makes me laugh. How many commenting have ever dog hunted with an organized group of dog hunters or been to a state/county that allows dog hunting?

TreednNC 12-19-2008 01:29 PM

If it were to be considered, I'd fight with tooth and nail, along with every other hunter I know.

We're not about deer population control or hunting for meat, we're about hunting big, mature bucks...so an alreaady WAY too long gun seaosn AND the use of dogs would kill our deer herd in this State.

lol Droptine I usually enjoy your posts, but that has to be the most pompas-assed thing ive ever heard from anybody on this site. surprised me coming from you. just for the record....i know of several 'meat' hunters in NJ ;)Not sure about their feelings for dogging, but dang, if it's not sporting, then we should take away compound bows, metal broadheads, guns, the whole like......give me a break.

TreednNC 12-19-2008 01:34 PM

ORIGINAL: 1shotkill1993

lmao have you or do you know anybody with bear dogs? if they havent had a bear turn on their dogs, or bay up against something on the ground and slap a dogs head off (litterally) or bite their necks or swat and break their backs, then they havent hunted long. helpless? Id be willing to bet most any bear that leaves a track worthy enough for 98% of the bear hunters that hunt with dogs turn loose on could turn around if they wanted to and kill the pack.....if they go up a tree, it's their fault......they could kill the dogs, end the chase and go about their way....

sitting down wind of a deer and shooting it is killing a harmless animal (yes i do it)

DannyD 12-19-2008 01:42 PM

Ethical? Sure, why not as long as it's legal.
Do I like it? No.

TreeStalker 12-19-2008 01:46 PM

I SAY IF YOU WANT TO KEEP'EM LET THEM RUN IN YOUR YARD, IF NOT LET'EM RUN ON MY LAND.....

marlin30/30_drabe 12-19-2008 01:47 PM

i think that its not good running deer is illegal here in new york encons will shoot dogs running deer

NEW61375 12-19-2008 01:54 PM

From what I have read today on NJ Divisionof Fish & Wildlife website the deer numbers need to be reduced and after a record low harvest last year that is still the case and their goal.

Seasons
Fall Bow 9,994
Youth Hunt 725
Permit Bow 6,086
Six-day Firearm 8,243
Permit Muzzleloader 8,338
Permit Shotgun12,399
Winter Bow1,232
Total Harvest47,017
Antlered Harvest 17,467
Antlerless Harvest 29,549

Also from the site it appears there is an early 24 day bow season(most areas) and a late 27 day bow and another area is 42 days early and 45 late. The general firearms is 6 days and the shotgun season is 3 days, 28 days, or43 days(depending on Zone).

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2008/regsets08-09.pdf

In all of the areas even with some seasons running at the same time bowhunters have more time in the woods with the extra 9 early days and extra 7 days late.

Hate to tell you this but you need those gun hunters to control that herd and allhunters probably need to kill a ton more does. Granted I know different areas require different techniques it sounds like you just don't want gun hunters interfering with you trophy bow hunting, regardless of what the state actually needs.

If they put it to a vote would you vote to shorten the firearms season? Don't answer that.

Deleted User 12-19-2008 02:10 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

NEW61375 12-19-2008 02:10 PM

You would think out of all of the unethical votes at least 1 person would have some kind of reason why it is unethical.

The poll should be:

Have you ever dog hunted? Yes
No
I have no idea what I'm talking about