Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 wats you view on running deer with dogs >

wats you view on running deer with dogs

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

wats you view on running deer with dogs

Old 12-30-2008, 09:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: wats you view on running deer with dogs

It is amazing how ignorant some of the people on this board are.

Probably the same bunch that voted for Obama.

There's nothing wrong with preferring not to hunt with dogs. But to pass judgement on those that do---especially when you have absolutely no clue about how it is done, is ridiculous and frankly, reveals alot about you as a person.

A greyhound can't catch a healthy deer----much less the hounds that most doghunters use.

I do agree that you should keep your dogs on your own land and show respect for those around you that don't like to hunt with dogs. You can't really expect to control your dogs on the hunt on small parcels of land---and hunting on small areas is just asking for trouble.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't mind dog hunting as long as they keep their dogs off of my leases. In Texas, it is outlawed, but in South Arkansas, it is still legal.

I had a lot fewer problems this year than I had in previous years.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:56 PM

I said most, not all. If you don't hunt that way then good for you, but you must not hunt around here where I do. All of the deer hound chasers around here are like I described and most are worse. They will walk onto your land with their dogs as if they are walking into their living room. They know all that they have to say if confronted is " I'm jess gittin ma dawgs" and the law will protect them.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:39 PM

ORIGINAL: snakefoot

I said most, not all. If you don't hunt that way then good for you, but you must not hunt around here where I do. All of the deer hound chasers around here are like I described and most are worse. They will walk onto your land with their dogs as if they are walking into their living room. They know all that they have to say if confronted is " I'm jess gittin ma dawgs" and the law will protect them.
I dont run dogs?
Old 12-31-2008, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

snake--making generalizations about people is not a good thing to do. It's called prejudice.

If the law protects them from being prosecuted as trespassers, then if I were you, I'd have a much bigger problem with your lawmakers instead of the dog hunters.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:13 PM

I'm talking about the deer dog chasers in my AO. How would you write the law to keep deer dogs off of your land? Would you need a specific law to hunt only where you have permission? Or would you think to yourself that this law is vague so I think I'll just exploit it and hunt over there also with my dogs? It could very well be that the law writers in Richmond are wearing red coats and crying out Tally-Ho, and that gives the Bud-Lite Hunt Club and buck shot in the butt boys all the cover they need.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:44 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bryant1
Believe me, it's more sport to kill a deer in front of dogs than to kill him 20 ft in a tree when he least least expects it.
Yes they expect it when the dogs are barking or chasing them.

What's fair about closing off an area and forcing the deer to run past you? Bet draining the lake and netting the fish as they flop around is fair too.

Hunting is man against the deer 1 on 1. Not 15 dogs and 30+ hunters against 1 deer. That's chasing, not hunting.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

People always want to pass judgement on others when they are different or do things different than they do. Most times it has little to do with reasoning. Trapping is a huge taboo in eyes of most people and the fur industry is nearly dead because some people thought it was not ethical. Hunting is the same way...Many in this country would like nothing more than to shut down hunting forever. The sad part is with all the fighting hunters do between one another they are just making it that much easier. Rather than cutting a fellow hunters throat, stand with them even if your point of view is somewhat different. Every year we get more and more out numbered by anti hunters. Don't you think its a good idea to put the fight where it belongs.