HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   wats you view on running deer with dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/279159-wats-you-view-running-deer-dogs.html)

timbercruiser 12-23-2008 07:23 AM

RE: wats you view on running deer with dogs

I dog hunted for about 30 years until the large tracts of land disappeared and we had some of the finest deer dogs that ever crapped between two feet. I have never heard of or saw a deer dog catching a healthy deer so lets dispose of that myth.

ipscshooter 12-23-2008 07:35 AM

If it's legal where you are, fine. Go ahead. But ONLY if you can keep your dogs on YOUR property and they don't interfere with someone else's hunt. If your dogs get on someone elses' property, you should be cited for trespass.

krabbiepatty 12-23-2008 07:43 AM

they dont really corner them...the dog hunters dump out the dogsand then try to get ahead of the dogs in there trucks and line up the roads and then when the deer jumps out of the woods they start shooting at it (sometimes they will set in the woods also). i used to do it a little when i was a teenager. it could be fun at times, but i got tired of looking dogs more than hunting. as far as shooting mature bucks, its just the luck of what the dogs jump up in the woods. when i have been, the guys would try to find a big fresh track going across the road and dump out the dogs there.

ORIGINAL: patchholder

do the dogs run them to death or corner them for you or what, how do ever shoot mature bucks doing this.

kingofspring 12-23-2008 08:31 AM

As others have said, there's no problem as long as the dogs can be contained. That seems to be getting more difficult as larger tracts are being broken up, and the quest for the holy antler is all some think about.

Full Blown Rut 12-24-2008 08:44 AM

i never did it

Muddy_650 12-24-2008 08:10 PM

To me its Unethical because , around here anyway , deer are often peppered with pellets and never recovered because they were shot at while running full blast with foam dripping from their mouth from being run around by some dogs all day. Ive never seen anyone really be able to control their dogs either , they always wind up spending hours after dark looking for them while the dogs are still chasing deer that have been run all day long. Has anyone ever seen a deer finally get away from a pack of dogs and just stop in front of you completely out of breath and foaming at the mouth? Then you add some 00 buck pellets all in their hind quarters ensuring a slow death , it doesnt seem ethical at all to me. Remember i said thats how it is around here. I have nothing against getting a deer out the woods with a dog but running a deer to the point it cant run any longer and is wounded is completely sportless...

Southern Man 12-24-2008 11:58 PM

Alot of people on here need educating on dog running.1.a dog will not catch a deer.2.adeer can lose a pack of dogs by standing in any water dogs do not know what deer look like dogs run by smell.3.If you jump a buck by the time you see the deer it has turned into a doe.Bucks will find a doe to get the dogs on 9 times out of 10.4. you can kill more bucks sitting in a stand. Be careful if you shoot a mans dog.Some men will shoot you because of it. Dog running is a Southern thang so dont you other folks worry about it.You are more likely to kill a buck off someone elses dog if your still hunting in a treestand.When that buck gets them dogs on a doe the buck is up and moving.Give the dogs a break you may kill your biggest buck because they brought it to you.

peakrut 12-25-2008 03:49 AM

Not for me and its legal in some parts so I have no problem with it.
Now if my state had a vote on legalizing this I would vote NO.

zrexpilot 12-25-2008 08:10 AM

slob hunting at its finest. Probably the only method that should be outlawed.

doe slyr 12-25-2008 08:29 AM

i agree with bryant1. its alot harder shooting a deer with a shotgun running than it is still hunting. basically, around here no one bitches or whines about dogs comming on or off other peoples land. virginia has been hunting deer with dogs forever and i doubt some whining is going to change it