Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 wats you view on running deer with dogs >

wats you view on running deer with dogs

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

wats you view on running deer with dogs

Old 12-20-2008, 03:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: wats you view on running deer with dogs

If the deer hounders could keep their dogs off everyone else's land it would be ok. But they can't, it's the nature of the sport. Because it consistently has anegatively impact others who want nothing to do with it it should be removed or severly limited.
Old 12-20-2008, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it's legal it's legal, I guess. I'm just glad it's not legal in Oklahoma. Most of the land here is in 160 acre parcels or less. There is no was deer could be hunted with dogs and the dogs stay on one property. Occasionally coon or coyote hunters won't get all their dogs picked up and these dogs will go across country trailing deer. It ruins the hunting for a few days. I have no problem with it where it's legal, but it will never be legal here. There would be much hell raising if that happened.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:15 AM

In my state pa.its absolutely not legal.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:26 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

As long as you have enough land that you do not interfere with others I have no problem with it. I've hunted with dogs many years in the past. The problem is when you/your dogs get on others hunting lands or land that the land owner doesn't want anybody or their dogs on the property. The idea of using dogs for hunting deer is just as ethical as using bird dogs, rabbit dogs or any other legal dog hunting method.
I agree 100%. I would love to go on a deer hunt with dogs, I think it would be a blast.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Never done it... never thought of doing it... i guess I can't really give an answer... not really sure...

Old 12-22-2008, 07:28 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Beehunter

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

As long as you have enough land that you do not interfere with others I have no problem with it. I've hunted with dogs many years in the past. The problem is when you/your dogs get on others hunting lands or land that the land owner doesn't want anybody or their dogs on the property. The idea of using dogs for hunting deer is just as ethical as using bird dogs, rabbit dogs or any other legal dog hunting method.
I agree 100%. I would love to go on a deer hunt with dogs, I think it would be a blast.
If you are ever in my part of the world and would like to go give me a pm or a ring and I will take with me. It is fun and a great way to spend time with family
Old 12-22-2008, 07:45 PM
Typical Buck

do the dogs run them to death or corner them for you or what, how do ever shoot mature bucks doing this.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:45 PM
Fork Horn

Dogs will pursue deer and run them down....lot more stamina than deer. Hyenas are essentially dogs and do the same to catch their prey...as do wolves and coyotes.

If it's legal where you are....I'm all for it. Not my decision to judge hunting rights in a state all the way across the country from me....This is an old subject....let it be.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:20 PM
Typical Buck

I grew up riding shotgun in a coyote wagon and still do a few times each year. There used to be a bounty on coyotes, all they wanted was their ears as proof.

Some states have SO many deer, i am surprised insurance companies dont pay a bounty for each one taken by a hunter. ok, maybe no bounty for the 6.5 yo 200" buck but say pay $25 for each Doe. i could be on to something here, legislators, insurers, read up.

The ethics and morals, police, blah blah..... i just wish ppl would try to understand that things are done differently in each state, dogs chasing dogs, cougar, bear, birds.....heck, i'd chase dinosaurs with them if i could. Baiting, scents, calls decoys, camo, blinds, guns, bows, food plots, feeders, high fences, leasing, guide services, is all about ONE thing

MONEY!

I too find it hard to believe that ppl think that chasing deer withdogs is unethical, just because a person doesnt approve of my hunting methods and they say "i would never do that" once again, i say, if it is legal in your state, by all means, proceed!

What about Falconry? Chubbing for Sharks? Beating baby seals with clubs? Trapping a Beaver under water till it drowns? Using snares to choke your quarry to death? All legal in one state or another.

My state regulations tell me what i can and cannot do, the state owns the wildlife. If they change the rules then i have to abide and here, my state gives me many different opportunities and means with which to harvest, kill, hunt, bag, a deer. But i can't use a crossbow. (unless i'm handicapped)

Just because i can say, "i would never hunt behind a high fence thats.............no wait, i said, i will never pay a guide service thats...........ok, i guess i said i would never bait for deer because thats..............wow", you know what, all of these are legal in my state.........but i dont have to if i dont want to, thats the best part of Hunting!

Hunters need to and should support "Hunters" and stop bashing one another over LEGAL methods. and ifthey disagree with the legalities of such methods, they should consult their wildlife conservation officer, imo

Theres an old saying around here and i'm sure in many other parts of the country,.."The land owners own the ground during the day, but the coon hunters own it at night."

Old 12-23-2008, 06:47 AM
Fork Horn

Ethical? Sure, why not as long as it's legal.
Do I like it? No.
I agree 100%

Quick Reply: wats you view on running deer with dogs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.