Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Neighbor's dog shot

Old 02-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Neighbor's dog shot

Old 02-09-2009, 05:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Im going to delete this post so as not to get a war going and hopefully this thing will rest. Nuff said.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

ORIGINAL: SWThomas

Waiting for the idiots to show up that think a dogs life is worth as much as a humans......
Waitings over I'm here, and if you shot my dog you would soon find out how I felt about its life over whats left of yours.
Thank you Thomas,
I feel the exact same way.

Go ahead jim, try me.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:39 PM
Fork Horn

Looks to me like it all boils down to how much pet owners value their animals,yes some do get loose once in a while but the ones that run loose constanly are 95% of the problem.I have tried to talk to the owners before and always do once then if I know they arent a vicious dog I take them for a ride so they go to the shelter where they can be taken by someone that cares about them.Lets not only talk about them getting shot,do they not care if they get ran over or attacked by some other animal?Some of the posters on here are just full of it.Lanse has a qoute about beating horses but is condeming people for protecting their property.It is my property and if you want your dog to use it pay the payments.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

This is a pretty strong debate. When and IF a dog should be put down. Each person has different values of mans best friend. I personally feel that if a person or there property or livestock is at risk then a dog may face death. My family is an animal loving family thats had alot of pets. (My grandma has about 17 dogs and 10 cats. All indoor pets!) If a line is crossed though it may require actions to be taken. If a dogs just wandering the woods let it wander.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:07 AM
Spike

Wow i started a post that went for 22 pages. That's got to be a record...I don't know if I'm proud or embarassed.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:10 AM
Spike

I think everyone is getting the general perception that this nice little dog was on its way home when someone shot it in the leg. Who's to say this dog wasn't wrecking havoc on some neigboring farm or property and someone shot the SOB? After all you did state that it was shot in the leg and bled to death. I can honestly state that if a dog or cat or whatever was on my property causing some kind of damage you better damn well believe i'd be shooting the SOB. Where I live we have an over population of feral cats roaming the area. People call them pets because people put food out and milk for them to eat but they their so wild you can't even pet one of them without losing a few fingers. What people are not realizing is that when these animals are not in sight their out killing every little species of animal they can get their claws on. Now as hunters I'm sure alot of you believe in proper wildlife management and in an instance when there is a non native species that is wiping out native species I see no problem in shooting them. Imean we do the same thign with feral hogs don't we? People justview these animals as all cute and cuddly but in actaulity theirvicious killers.Severalyears ago we had a dog that was stuborn as all get out and every chance it got it would run up to a nearby farm and harass the horses inour neighborspasture. After warning us twice about it the third time the dog was shot. I wasn't mad at all because i know if the same thing happened to me i'd a done the same thing.It was our own fault, the dog should have been conatined in our yard.

Another instance i just heard about near a city no more than a half hour from me there was a pack of domestic dogs that hunters witnessed chasing down deer and killing them. These dogs had collars on them with tags. These dogs plain and simply got away from their handlers who lived in the city and turned wild. Now i want one of you genious individuals to explain to me how that can't be justified.

I feel sorry for the guy that lost his dog but keep the SOB in your yard. Everyone wants to say that they love their pets and couldn't believe someone would shoot a dog. Well i'll leave you with this, if you love your dog so much than invest a few extra bucks in an underground fence, that way your dog has lots of room to roam and is safe.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Habitat,

Been a long time since I read thru this thread. I don't really remember condemning people for defending their property. Rather I recall emphasizing twofacts: first, lots of times when people shoot a dog they would have a hard time justifying it as actually defending their property.Shootingwhat you know to be your neighbors petfor chasing a deer that it will never catch is not defending property, but it is sure to alienate your neighbor. Put some thought into whether or not it is worth it to tick off a neighboring landownerbecause its dog may/may not have messed up your morning deer hunt.

Second, I pointed out the fact (including info on the court cases) thatthere are a number of people who were arrested and prosecuted for shooting dogs even when they were harassing game or livestock on private property.Lots of folks are a little confused about what they can/can't do in dealing with dogs on their property and checking your facts beforehand, might save you a whole lot of trouble and money.

What I think doesnt really matter.But it can't hurt to check and see what the local police and prosecutors office thinks about a given situation regarding dogs since what they think about your actions sure as hell does matter. Little common sense goes a long way fellas.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:27 PM

i love dogs and treat mine like family, i jsut moved to the country but lived in brooklyn all my life. so i've never had to shoot a dog, i have taken a trash can lid to a roaming pitbull who bared his teeth at me though.

i can't imagine ever shooting a dog simply for wandering onto my property or near my tree stand, to me that is unimaginable and insane.

it seems cowardly to me, it would be a very rare occasion where i would feel a dog (especially a lab) would be threatening me or my property to the point where i need to end its life. simply walking out there and shooing it off unless you're scared of your own shadow would probably do it.

But then again i'm not terrified of roaming dogs and feel i can handle the situation without firearms.

just had to add my two cents to this discussion because a lot of the replies here has me embarassed to be associated with some of these people as a sportsman. it makes me feel they've lost the whole point of hunting and have no respect for animals at all, and that to me is the opposite of what hunting is all about.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll admit that I didn't read all the way through this (very long) thread... but my take is this... We don't know what that dog was doing when it got shot. It might have been the victim of someone who shot it simply for being on their property, but otherwise behaving itself, or simply because they could. Neither is a very good reason to shoot an obviously domestic dog. However, for all we know the dog may have been doing something that prompted another property owner to shoot the dog for just cause. Maybe this was a frequent occurance and someone finally got fed up. Maybe it was harrassing another's livestock. It might have been fighting with or threatening a neighbors pets, or even threatening a neighbor. I know that the owner is likely to say that his dog was gentle and would have never acted aggressively toward another, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. You hear that excuse every time some moron's "gentle and harmless" pit bull gets loose and mauls a toddler. Just because YOUR dog is gentle toward YOU, doesn't mean that it won't be aggressive toward others. If I had a dog on my yard and I even thought there was the slightest indication that it was going to be aggressive toward one of my kids, I'd punch a hole in it without hesitation. Despite what some morally bankrupt nit-wits might think, a human life is ALWAYS and INFINITELY more valuable than any animals life, even if that animal happens to be someones dearest pet.

The bottom line is that the owner failed to contain his animal, and it got shot by another for reasons we'll never know for sure, but I think that I'd give the shooter the benefit of the doubt.

Mike