Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Neighbor's dog shot

Old 12-22-2008, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Neighbor's dog shot

I cant believe I just read this entire thread.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:16 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: targethogs

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

true story.
I was at a friends house out on a farm, were drinking adult soda's and this neighbor comes drivng up the drive, gets out and starts yelling your dog this, dog that, ate my chickens blah blah blah,next time I am going to shoot him. My friend says hold on and goes inside, comes back out with a .22 rifle, guy looks scared, my friend hands him the rifle and says why wait till next time, here shoot him now. Dude doesnt know what to say but says ahh come on man I cant shoot your dog. Friend grabs the gun calls him a kitty and unoads on his dog killing it. He says we cant have chicken eating dogs around here, problem solved.
And...this guy is your friend!
Thats a sick story....And a sick person
Old 12-22-2008, 08:47 PM
Typical Buck

I heard barbecue pitt bull taste pretty good.

ORIGINAL: BetterBirddogs

ORIGINAL: rustynobles

BetterBirddogs:
Funny Lanse, I live in the country and my dogs never get loose and wander the countryside. Yes my dogs are in my control 100% of them. Others ought to try it somtime. Their dogs might not get killed.

my goodness this guy's perfect. i hate it when dogs run through my property, but i'd never shoot them. and if my wolf or my little beagle ran off and someone shot either one of them, i'd be highly pissed. anyone who claims to have their dogs under control 100% of the time probably has every other aspect of their life under control too. dude you should write a book.

I'm also not the one on the forum crying about one of my dogs getting out and getting shot. Like I said, I have 4 pointer pups, 2 pitbulls, 1 boxer and 6 adult pointers. None of them ever gets out without me opening the gate and letting them out. It's not a hard concept guys. Build adequate pens and make the adjustments that are needed to keep your dogs in and you won't have any problems. I never do. Doesn't make me a perfect human being, just makes me a RESPONSIBLE dog owner. I have very expensive dogs and I go to great lengths to make sure they are where they are supposed to be. It's just like anything else in life: the more you put into it the more you can expect out of it. I put alot into my dog kennels and I get alot out of them in return.

I don't mind being the bad guy. Keep your dog off my place or he'll get one in the engine room. (if my pit bulls don't kill him first)
Old 12-22-2008, 09:09 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with you under these circumstances.
In this case the rule book is re-written.

ORIGINAL: Liv2Hunt5

I've been in the cattle business for many years nowand have put ALOT of time and money into raising a respectable herd.And years ago, I guess you could sayI had a little more patience with this subject.Before, a neighbors dog here and a neighborsdog there didn't bother me as much as it doesnow.And Itall started with a fewdogs runnin free as they chose,which was fine by me at the time. They weren't causing any problems. Then, they began to multiply and multiply and multiply.I addressed the issue with the owners and made it perfectly clear what would happen if they didn't gain control of their pets. Well the problem proceeded to get worse as the owners didnt take any action.And over time thedogs eventually packed up likethey instinctively do andwere just wild. And considering my location there was not a chance in hell of a animal control officer taking the time to come out. Wellone evening,a ranch hand of minewitnessed this pack of dogs run down a yearling calf and kill it before he had a chance to savethe calf. He immediatelycalled me and I jumped in my farm truck which i carry a 7mag and a 30.06and was there within several minutes. Needless to say, I havent had a dog problem since. Now if I offended someone for the actions that I felt were necessary I am deeply sorry for you. And forpeopleto feel that an animals life is more valuable than a humans...that is just ludicrous.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:52 AM
Spike

Just an update...but, my neighbor called the land owner nearest where the dog was shot. Not looking to press anyone just see what the story was? He said nobody has permission to hunt there but there are a couple treestands. The land owner is really old... can't get out to do much about it. He's really not happy about the treestands and equally pissed about the dog. We all have a pretty good idea who the guy is...a pretty shady character.

on a side note. thanks for a view on all of your opinions.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:51 PM
Spike

I want to add my 2 cents for what it's worth. I have never shot a dog before and probably couldn't unless I or others were physically threatened by them. I could however shoot a cat with no problem. With that said...I can see both sides to this.

It boils down to this. It is the sole responsibility of the pet owner for their animal. Accidents happen and our pets get loose. Ifmy dog wonders onto someone else's property it is still my responsibility no matter ifthey got loose or not. There can be too many "if" circumstances on what the dog could be doing (chasing deer, turkey, calf's, chickens, etc..). It is up to the individual to make a choice whether to shoot the dog or not. That person has to live with what he or she did, if it was a stray or a pet. If it was apet and you got away with it you still have to live with what you did. Ifyou were found out and were confronted bylittle Suzie asking why did you kill Fluffy, you will have to live with it every time you see her. And if you get into criminal problems you have to man up to your actions. It is your obligation to know what the laws are before you go and do something. No excuses.

For the people who said they would save their pet over a human, to me you are no better than a PETA wacko. To put a life of an animal over a human is just stupid.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

20 Pages let this thread die already!!!!!
Old 01-22-2009, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is why many farmers will not let hunters on their farms. Even if they themselves havent had a dog shot most times they know someone who has. It does more harm than good. Ive had a few years where dogs ran deer everyday around where I hunted. Sometimes right under my stand. I really didnt effect the deer at all. They would just trot out in front of the dogs like it was no big deal. Then they would just go back to normal in a few minutes. I admit Id rather not have the dogs running around but it didnt do any harm. Not as much as killing one and causing more bad feeling against hunters. I dont know any farmers that keep their dogs locked up.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

A few months back I went out back and found 3 dogs had my sheep cornered up. I saw one dead and didn't know it but there were 4 dead. I went back in the house and got the gun and killed 2 but didn't get the third one. I buried them in the same hole as the sheep. I kind of felt sorry for the dogs because they didn't have to die, but I won't tolerate that.

I used to have a pointer that was the best dog I ever hunted with. He wasn't tied or penned up, but he stayed home. When I worked in the field he went with the tractor and caught rabbits and he would eat them. When fall came and I came out with the shotgun, he knew what that meant and he was all business. If I hunted with someone who had penned up dogs it would take an hour or so for their dogs to get settled down so they could hunt and after a couple of hours their dogs would be wore out while my dog would go til dark. One of the good things about living out in the country.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:00 AM
Fork Horn

I must be a softy! I would not even consider shooting a dog just becasue it was walking under my tree stand or on my property. Obviously self defense or defense of another is a separate issue. But to shoot one just becasue it happens by your stand, come on! I am really surprised by some of these posts.

Quick Reply: Neighbor's dog shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.