Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Neighbor's dog shot

Old 12-21-2008, 01:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Neighbor's dog shot

The land I hunt has dogs running loose... the owners dogs.. and their neighbors dogs come into the woods... and on occasion chase the deer off... do i shoot them? easy answer.. NO... dogs are dogs deer are deer.. and I'm out to shoot deer.. if one of those dogs get on the deer before i did (and yes it has happened).. than well.. too bad for me.. it would be a complete lack of respect the person whom the dog belongs too to kill it simply because i could.. hell.. if I hit a dog on the road I stop and tell the people i did it... its about respect and honor..some have it ..some don't.. and IMHO you can always tell a stray from a pet.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:28 PM
Fork Horn

I noitced a couple guys on here said they would save a dog from a speeding train before they would a human...Sure hope you guys are not all standing around the same tracks when the train is bearing down on your mom and fido and only time to save one of them[:-]. Imagine if you are standing there at the same time as someone else that states they save fido over a human...and you have to watch them save fido and bye bye mom. I know this is way off topic, but I just want to point out no one goes for fido...I don't care who you are.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hard subject, dogs that run loose and chase deer are a pain in the butt. Dogs that get loose and run around having a grand ol' time not causing any problems are nota pain. Shooting one like the 2 yr old lab is unacceptable. I have a black lab.If he happened to get loose and run around enjoying the freedom not causing problems and someone shot him that person would meet a five finger death punch.Crap happens dogs get loose not all are blood thirsty animals.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

when i was i a kid my choc lab was shot by the 80 odd yr old lady he lucky and lived blind in a eye with
bbs in his head parents didnt do anything he was on her land
I dont have many neighbors but i do know what their dogs look like i would atleast try to talk to them first
my dogs are always kept under control but there is the occational whoops collar broke chain
i have however collected the dog crap out of my yard and not so kindly give it back bc they walk by dogs
loose and they go in my yard instead of the field around

Old 12-21-2008, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

BetterBirddogs:
Funny Lanse, I live in the country and my dogs never get loose and wander the countryside. Yes my dogs are in my control 100% of them. Others ought to try it somtime. Their dogs might not get killed.

my goodness this guy's perfect. i hate it when dogs run through my property, but i'd never shoot them. and if my wolf or my little beagle ran off and someone shot either one of them, i'd be highly pissed. anyone who claims to have their dogs under control 100% of the time probably has every other aspect of their life under control too. dude you should write a book.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:03 PM
Typical Buck

I have raised beagles for years. And these dogs are out of your control more than they are in, when loose. I had one dog not come home due to a brother that thought it should run around, and it did, right out to the woods. Now here is my point, I have no idea what that dog was doing while away from me, i don't know cause i wasn't with her.

All dogs will pack and chase. just because you have "THE BEST" bird dog in the state doesn't mean it won't get into mischief while away from you.

And just what is a "five finger death punch" Keep control of your dog and you wont take a chance at choking on those words...with a boot in your butt...LOL
Old 12-21-2008, 07:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

A freind of mine caught a beagle in his trap. Another friend of mine found it took it home. He told the trapper what had happened so the trapper could reset it or move it to another location. The beagle had a New York phone number on it. So he called the number and the guys wife answered it. She said her husband was just getting ready to leave Maine. The guy came and picked up his beagle and thanked my friend for finding it. He also showedhisappreciation by giving him hunting rights on some land he owns up here. So not all is bad when finding someone's dog that is loose..

I agree that dogs are pack animals and I am glad that mine do not have the chance to pack up. All because of lease laws and the fact they are enforced. Last time we even came close to that was during training and a pack of beagles ran by rabbit hunting. My dog wanted to fight with them but I wouldn't allow it to. I have avoided that area ever since.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:33 PM

Would never shoot a pet. To shoot someones pet because they walked past your hunting stand or they were on your property just goes to show they are compensating for a lack of size in a certain area. If the dogs continually do it i could possibly understand, but a 1 time thing makes me sick to my stomach. I'm waiting to see these guys saying " if you can't control your dog it deserves to die" come looking for sympathy when one of their children get hit by a car. If you had only kept 100% control of them, nothing would have happened
Old 12-22-2008, 08:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

'm waiting to see these guys saying " if you can't control your dog it deserves to die" come looking for sympathy when one of their children get hit by a car. If you had only kept 100% control of them, nothing would have happened
WTF?? You cannot compare kids to dogs!!! Wow!! How many kids you have by the way?[>:]
Old 12-22-2008, 09:57 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: rustynobles

BetterBirddogs:
Funny Lanse, I live in the country and my dogs never get loose and wander the countryside. Yes my dogs are in my control 100% of them. Others ought to try it somtime. Their dogs might not get killed.

my goodness this guy's perfect. i hate it when dogs run through my property, but i'd never shoot them. and if my wolf or my little beagle ran off and someone shot either one of them, i'd be highly pissed. anyone who claims to have their dogs under control 100% of the time probably has every other aspect of their life under control too. dude you should write a book.

I'm also not the one on the forum crying about one of my dogs getting out and getting shot. Like I said, I have 4 pointer pups, 2 pitbulls, 1 boxer and 6 adult pointers. None of them ever gets out without me opening the gate and letting them out. It's not a hard concept guys. Build adequate pens and make the adjustments that are needed to keep your dogs in and you won't have any problems. I never do. Doesn't make me a perfect human being, just makes me a RESPONSIBLE dog owner. I have very expensive dogs and I go to great lengths to make sure they are where they are supposed to be. It's just like anything else in life: the more you put into it the more you can expect out of it. I put alot into my dog kennels and I get alot out of them in return.

I don't mind being the bad guy. Keep your dog off my place or he'll get one in the engine room. (if my pit bulls don't kill him first)

Quick Reply: Neighbor's dog shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.