Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Neighbor's dog shot

Old 12-20-2008, 04:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Neighbor's dog shot

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: Phil from Maine

Are you saying that coyotes and foxes only attack them at night? You folks sure have those predators trained well ..[8D]
Some of you are some real outdoorsman here!! Wow!! How many fox and coyote's have you saw In your yard during the day?? Unbelievable quotes by some of you on both sides of this subject!!
Several if want the trueth! I have a large pheasant pen and they very much would like to get at them.. I think you need to get more facts before trying to slam anyone for stating the facts. The coyotes have been shot but they still will show up from time to time. The foxes I haven't been able to get a shot at yet but thier day is coming as well.

Also to top it off there has been towns here that has coyotes come in and try to take small dogs right of the lease that has been tied to a door step right in broad daylight! You that have chickens loose in coyote country find this hard to believe? I think some facts here are not really what you are stating them to be.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:43 AM

i don't think anyone has ANY right to shoot a dog unless they are putting you or someone else in danger. IDC if it CONSTANTLY chases deer or is in your yard!!! it's someones pet and if it has tags then call the owner or if it doesn't call the dog catcher. if anyone ever shot my dogs and i found them there would be problems. i get so mad everytime i here stories about another dumb@ss that shot someones dog. my dogs meen a lot to me.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Are you saying that coyotes and foxes only attack them at night? You folks sure have those predators trained well ..[8D]
Some of you are some real outdoorsman here!! Wow!! How many fox and coyote's have you saw In your yard during the day?? Unbelievable quotes by some of you on both sides of this subject!!
Several if want the trueth! I have a large pheasant pen and they very much would like to get at them.. I think you need to get more facts before trying to slam anyone for stating the facts. The coyotes have been shot but they still will show up from time to time. The foxes I haven't been able to get a shot at yet but thier day is coming as well.

Also to top it off there has been towns here that has coyotes come in and try to take small dogs right of the lease that has been tied to a door step right in broad daylight! You that have chickens loose in coyote country find this hard to believe? I think some facts here are not really what you are stating them to be.
I can guarantee my facts are worth there weight In gold buddy!! I pick up milk from dairy farmers for a living, It's my job. 99% of the farmers I pick up milk at have never had coyotes or fox In there yard In day light hours chasing there chickens, geese, cats, dogs or whatever else you can think of. When you have dogs and people roaming your yard through out the day, these types of predators do not show there face. Ever tried trapping either one? There smart as hell and there not stupid! They will not show up In someones yard during the day, at least not at a place where there's frequent activity, there much smarter then that!! Fox and coyotes do most of there hunting at night and If chickens and such were roaming free at night In someone's yard, I could see It happening If a dog was kenneled up. I'm guessing your a city folk that has no Idea what being on a farm Is like. I grew up on a farm and have been Involved with dairy farms, beef cattle farms, pig farms, hobby farms all my life. A farmers biggest complaint Is someone elses muts harassing there animals and such, not predators.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm guessing your a city folk that has no Idea what being on a farm Is like.
Google Maine and then go north east of Bangor and show me what big city i live in my friend..You will find that I live in a very wooded area with not any sort of big population at all. Yes, we do have problems with alot of predators night or day. Though i will admit that most is done early in the morning, just before dark, or at night. They also occure during day light hours and that also includes bears as well..
Old 12-20-2008, 11:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Where I live,it is against the law for dogs to chase deer.If dogs are seen chasing deer,any CO will shoot them on site as will most hunters.I have yet to hear of any CO or hunter being successfully sued for shooting a dog that was chasing deer in my area.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Though i will admit that most is done early in the morning, just before dark, or at night. They also occure during day light hours and that also includes bears as well..
Now your making sense Phil.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

Where I live,it is against the law for dogs to chase deer.If dogs are seen chasing deer,any CO will shoot them on site as will most hunters.
Maybe in CO but not here. It is against the law for dogs to chase deer at any time of year though. Even a game warden will be very carefull to shooting one in these cases as well. But if they have no choice a warden will shoot it. They end up tied up in court over it so they would rather fine the owners and have the courts take care of the dog problem. If anyone gets caught shooting any dog formost anyreason you could find yourself in a deep mess over it. Just like you herd here there is to many willing just to shoot a dog period. Whether or not there is any sort of reason to it.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe in CO but not here.
A CO is a conservation officer.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:45 PM
bigcountry

I have. Plenty of times. Thats why I have shot plenty during the day on my property.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:35 AM
Typical Buck

Phil From Maine, no I haven't shot a dog yet. But when is enough going to be enough. My nieghbors dog has chewed on 2 ofMY deer, sh$ts inMY yard, barks at us inMY year, constantly running in MY woods, and has followed me into the treestand in the mornings and barked at me for quite awhile. Funny thing is, I had a nice talk with them after the first deer (which the dog was eating a hind quarter before I even found it, in the middle of MY woods) and they didn't listen. Finally when the 2nd deer was chewed on hanging in MY barn I had to have another talk with them. This was not so nice, and I told them "I pay money to hunt, money for land to hunt not so thier dog can have free riegn. If I ever catch your dog in the woods I will shoot it". That message got through to them. Isn't it sad some dog owners don't feel they have to respect your property, that dog still does everything he did before in MY yard but they keep him locked up during deer deason. And I will say it again, it is 100% not the dogs fault in any case.

So, you tell me. when is enough, enough

Quick Reply: Neighbor's dog shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.