Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Neighbor's dog shot

Old 12-19-2008, 12:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Neighbor's dog shot

Perhaps Lanse here we have an animal control officer to deal with this stuff in almost every town. If a town doesn't have one they are given a phone number from a near by town to get these types of issues solved. The animal control officer is being financed threw the towns tax dollars. Here for example we had one running threw the area almost daily and after enough times in court this was brought to a stop. The owners were forced to give the dog away or give it up to the animal control officer to try and find it a home or take it to the vet to be put down. That takes away the right to shoot it and ends the issue with the owner and the dog or dogs running loose all the time. This ensures that the issues are being warranted.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

The animal control offices are usually kind of tied up with business in town. Getting one to deal with a situation ten miles out in the country might be a bit of a challenge and folks can get impatient. But then again, i might try to work on my patience if I was aware that the alternative might be a couple months in jail and thousands of dollars in fines and legal fees.[:-]
Old 12-19-2008, 12:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, you are most likely correct on this as sometimes I forget that most of this area is small towns where every one knows everyone. So it is not that big of an issue to get the animal control officer out here. But, still as you stated people should be thinking twice on what they have been saying about this subject.. It doesn't make hunters look very good that is for sure.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:48 PM
Spike

Wow, what a mess. Lot of hotheads on here and also alot that make sense.
I have GPS, he loves to hunt.Is he 100% trained? No. If he runs off is it my fault? YES!!! Do I want him shot? NO!!!
It is my reponsibility as a dog owner to control my animal and see to his care and well being. Would I leave him in the woods to let him roam?NO. I wouldn't let anybody under my care spend a night alone where they don't belong and would do everything in my power to get them back safely.
Saying this I have found bear dogs that have had thier collars go dead and have brought them out to the nearest town to call their owners(very greatful owners) and they come right out and get them. I would hope anyone who found my dog before I did would do me the same courtesy.
And between all the other predators out there,why shoot a dog??? There are far more wolves, coyotes, bears, bobcats ect.. that have a greater impact on YOUR deer. Get a small game/ pedator lisence if you feel like shooting a predator.
If it is a known dog and a nusiance animal call the athorities (pound, cops) and let them decide it's fate. People need to take reponsibility for thier pets and keep them safe. If they let them run they obviously don't care. Notice I said "let them run "not OMG! my dog got loose!!! There are too many possibilities as to what can happen to a loose pet: hit by car, ate by wolves poisioned, caught in trap, tangled in barbwire ect..
If you love something take care of it.If you don't ,don't haveit.
I vote on the common sense side of this argument.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:51 PM
Typical Buck

whoever shot it it was not a hunter but a pig
Old 12-19-2008, 02:24 PM
Spike

Hot topic indeed .

While on highly unsuccessful deer hunt I had the miss fortune of ending the last morning of my hunt with a beagle and a mix mutt chasing a spike.
Asa former dog hunter I liked the sound of a dog on a trail echoing thru the woods , its music to me but sittin on a stand I knew it wasnt good.
When the land owner arrivedat the stand to pick me up he asked how it went . I recounted the morning's high light as we drove across the field while doing so he says hey is that one of the dogs over there ( the beagle) , I said yeah thats the lead dog .
Well that did it , he starts cursing some guys name,stops the truck and goes for his rifle while this is happening his grandson pulls up and says stay out of it , and bang down goes the beagle! Then with sound of the shot out of the woods comes the other dog running towards the trucks as if hes expecting to be picked up . As he's running towards us with the look of excitement , the old man pops him too but wounds him and he contnues running towards us and reaches us screaming in pain . He ran out of ammo for his rifle so he digs in his tool box and finds a .22 pistol and starts shooting puttin more holes in the poor dog . Finally puts one in his head ,ends it for the mixxed dog and throws him in the bed . We drove across across the field to pick up the beagle expecting him to be dead and he's layin there paralyzed !
Lookin up at us , he pops him in the head and throws him in the bed as well. I was sicked and angered to the point where I decided to calm down because this wasnt going to end well if I escalated this.

While driving back to the camp I asked why he did that and he stated that he had asked repeatedly for his neighbor to keep his damn dogs on his property , which I can understand because its causing him alot of grief and money from disgruntled clients swearing they wont return because of this problem . Either way , he's losing business because of loose dogs and lost me for killin the dogs . Unfortunately for him its damned if you and damned if you dont.

What a messed up experience and its something I'll never forget. The subject can be as hotly debated as politics with valid points on both sides.
I cant shoot a dog for running thru the woods even if it pisses me off and would only do so if I felt threatened.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Would be interesting to get a local DNR agent or police officer on the phone and read them the story above. Then ask them what action they would take if they witnessed it happening. Ditto for the local District Attorney's Office.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:42 PM
Spike

As more people move to the country, I'm sure this issue will come up more often. I understand that people move to the country and expect to let their dog or cat run free. I also understand the frustration of a deer hunter who buys 40 acres (here in IL thats about $100,000), spends his free time and more moneyin the spring and summer on foodplots, then comes gun deer season (here in IL thats only a 3 day and 4 day). Only to have dogs run back and forth, sending every deer to land that doesn't have dogs. Without all the facts about the shootingat the beginning of this it's hard to judge.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:49 PM
Spike

Yep,
That was about 12 years ago and I never forgot it and never been back. Laws vary in states but I assure you some were broken regardless and the act of shootin someones dog is enough to very easily escalate into a deadly encounter with an owner.
Had I known the course ofevents that were about to occur I'd a kept my mouth shut .
That beagle was awesome ,I seen him put his nose every where that spike stepped .
Old 12-19-2008, 02:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

American,

Yes, i think that new folks to the country may have that attitude.But I have a lot of old farmer cousins in their 70s who have always let their dogs and cats run loose. Lots of times, i would have loved to popped their cats,but I knew if i ticked them off, i would lose access to hundreds of acres of land. These folks are generally pretty generous about letting people hunt their land or go on it to track wounded deer, but that attitude can change real quick if their beagle gets popped for going on the adjacent 40 acres and chasing a deer.

Funny about deer chasing dogs and its impact on hunting. I do not know of a single person who has had their hunt ruined because of dogs. However, I do know hunters who have had a lot of deer chased right at their standby coyote hounds. I can understand some folks frustration if they are bothered by dogs, butthe times are changing and the links i provided clearly show that the law is much more willing to clamp down on somebody for shooting a domestic animal, even if they think they have the right to do so.

Quick Reply: Neighbor's dog shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.