Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Neighbor's dog shot

Old 12-18-2008, 06:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Neighbor's dog shot

What was the dog doing when the shooter pulled the trigger? You can't completely condemn the shooter without knowing the circumstances, for all you know he could have been defending himself or one of his kids from the dog, or perhaps protecting his livestock. My neighbor recently lost nearly nearly fifty chickens to a pair of pitbulls owned by a guy on the next street, these dogs ran freely all the time despite numerous warnings to the owner by neighbors and the sheriff. When he discovered the dogs in his pen killing his livestock he shot both of them, and then dropped them on their owner's front porch. I didn't blame him one bit for doing it, I would've done no less. Every state has animal restraint laws, your right to own a dog is contingent upon your observance of those laws whether you agree with them or not.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hear ya. And I don't think you will get too many arguments here. I think this post is mainly about someone blasting a dog for the hey of it.

I have two large 110lb dobermans, and I manage to keep them in yard with the help of thousands of volts from a shock collar. They respect the collar man. But what is one day one did get out. Its never happened in my 8 years of having the RF fence. I don't want slobhunter over the hill capping him just because he was bored.
I agree and nobody should want to kill anything just for the heck of it. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you is a good practice. Everyone should realize that even under the best of care their neighbors dog could get out and reasonable tolerance should be given. . . . .Of course, I live out in the boondocks and if I saw two strange Dobs in the yard I would be a little leary.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:56 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BetterBirddogs

As a guy who breeds, raises, and trains and field trials pointers I have no sympathy for your buddy or his dog. My dogs are very valuable. Having said that, I go to great lengths to make sure my dogs stay in their kennels. They are on a raised deck platform so they can't dig out and my kennels are charged with a fence charger so they can't climb out. If my dogs get out and get killed then thats a ME problem. I'm so tired of dog owners not taking ownership for their animals who are out wondering around. Bad deal for your neighbor but maybe he'll work harder to keep his new dog in the yard where it belongs.
You are one bad dude!!!!
Old 12-18-2008, 08:41 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Leafrivermac

I hear ya. And I don't think you will get too many arguments here. I think this post is mainly about someone blasting a dog for the hey of it.

I have two large 110lb dobermans, and I manage to keep them in yard with the help of thousands of volts from a shock collar. They respect the collar man. But what is one day one did get out. Its never happened in my 8 years of having the RF fence. I don't want slobhunter over the hill capping him just because he was bored.
I agree and nobody should want to kill anything just for the heck of it. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you is a good practice. Everyone should realize that even under the best of care their neighbors dog could get out and reasonable tolerance should be given. . . . .Of course, I live out in the boondocks and if I saw two strange Dobs in the yard I would be a little leary.
And thats one thing I have to keep conscience is most people who see my boys are scared of them and first thing they would want to do is run or shoot em. So I have to extra cautious about them getting loose.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

bigcountry. On a farm theres no room for a chicken eating dog. Bottom line.
Man, I have had chickens a long time. I kept them segragated from dogs, foxes, etc. Its really not that difficult.

Like I said, your buddies sound no different than the thugs in Baltimore or DC. If they want to be like these people down there, its their prerogative.
Huh?? Why In the hell should I have to pen up my chickens In my yard so someone elses mut don't eat them In my yard? Chickens hardly ever leave a yard and If they did there free bait.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:22 PM
Typical Buck

Now you are talking ignorant crap. Apparantly you guys are pretend wannabe part timers, armchair gun toters. If you weren't this would never have gotten started. You should be able to figure this one out with discussing it. I would never shoot someones dog just because it was out. BUT! Can't figure the but out either, huh!

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

The biggest liar is someone who says their dogshave always been100 percent under their control 100 percent of the time and the second biggest liars are the ones who say it will always be like that. Following your logic, you shouldnt get any sympathy if one of your kids gets killed or kidnapped because they werent 100 percent under your control.

There are plenty of times when I could have shot dogs and cats that wandered on my land from neighboring farms. But i had enough common sense to know they were doing no real harm and that if i did shoot them i would alienate people and lose access to their land for hunting or tracking wounded deer. Sometimes a little common sense goes a long way.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yes, apparently some folks here don't know that deer season often (although not always) overlaps with many other seasons that involve hunting with dogs. So, FACT, people don't have tokeep their dogs home and restrained during many deer seasons because they have just as much right to be outin the woods as Billy Bob sittingin his deer stand just itching to drop the hammer on a ferocious two year old black lab. Another FACT, many landowners don't deer hunt and/orvalue their pets more than they do your deer hunting. So, you shoot the wrong dog and you are risking losing the right to hunt in that area or the right to enteradjacent properties to retrieve wounded deer. FACT: If you shoot a dog by your deer stand, think about what you have just done. You now have fresh dog blood, pee, and crap splattered all over. That is just gonna workwonders to get deer to come in range. Also, you now have to get rid of the carcass.When you start dragging a dog carcass thru the woods you are likely doing a much better job of spooking game and ruining the hunt for nearby hunters than any dog running thru the area ever could.Think it thru guys, think it thru.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:29 AM
Fork Horn

Unless your name is BetterBirdDogs, then there is now excuse for a dog getting loose because he has his dogs completely under his control 100% of the time. I find that VERY hard to believe that he is able to COMPLETELY control his dogs 100% of the time. And yes, I agree if they get loose then thats the owners responibility, but doesn't give anyone the right to kill the dog just because its running loose. A man was recently convicted of animal cruelty in my hometown after shooting and killing a german shepard and yellow lab of his neighbors after he claimed they were chasing deer and turkeys through his yard. The state law reads that anyone can dispose of a dog that is chasing or harming wild game. The guy still was convicted, and rightfully so IMO!!
Old 12-19-2008, 08:36 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

And thats one thing I have to keep conscience is most people who see my boys are scared of them and first thing they would want to do is run or shoot em. So I have to extra cautious about them getting loose.
I know what you mean. I have 2 Rotweillers who I work very hard to keep contained in my yard. They are very loving and gentle dogs, but if they were to be roaming in someone elses yard I could see why they would be frightened. But NOONE has complete control of their animals 100% of the time, unlike BetterBirdDogs, and accidents happen. If my dogs were shot simply because they got out the front door and were wandering someones yard I would push to prosecute the idiot, now if they were harming there animals or posing a threat then I would completely understand their actions.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

http://www.susquehannacounty-da.org/PDF/pdf2007/15jun07.pdf

Dunno that i agree with the court decision in this case, but......

Quick Reply: Neighbor's dog shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.