Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Neighbor's dog shot

Old 12-18-2008, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Neighbor's dog shot

bigcountry. On a farm theres no room for a chicken eating dog. Bottom line.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:59 AM
Spike

Concerning the guy in MO and property damage. If a group of dogs is habitually roaming the farm and chasing everything the see it's property damage. The property is a sanctuary for all sorts of wildlife. My mom, dad, brother, and I have worked our a** to make it what it is, a habitat for quail, deer, rabbits, turkey, and other birds. All we hunt is deer. And if dogs are habitually coming over and disturbing that habitat it's property damage. Paint the picture however you want, it's property damage.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Some of you folks can spin it anyway you want and do all the preaching you want, but dogs can and do get out control of the owners with a regularity that most folks here acknowledge. If a dog escapes and gets shot without reason in many cases the law will not regard it as theowners fault as some here claim, it will be the person whopulled the trigger. YES, YES ,YES, people need to control their animals and if an animal is clearly being a nuisance there are times when they need to be taken down.On the other hand, any escaped dog does not automatically qualify for a death sentence. You really might want to check with your local lawauthorities about that. It is easy to play internet tough guy and Mr. Perfect whose dogs have never gotten out of his control (which I dont believe) and talk about dropping any dog that happens to be running lose. It will be a much different story if you get caught and the facts don't add up in your favor. I guess that I was just raised in a great area by a better class of people. In my neck of the woods you understand that people make mistakes.The world is not perfect and you try to help your neighbors withanimals that get loose, even when, GULP, it is somewhat of an inconvenience to you.You dont play Mr. macho and shoot them with the attitude that they deserved it just for being out side of the owners sight or for coming within sight of your deer stand. And the few people who do pull stunts like that are pretty low on the social order and pretty much find themselves as the ones who need to be confined to their own property because they arent welcome any place else. (Lanse quietly steps down from the soapbox, takes his ball, and goes home to watch Hogan's Heroes re-runs in honor of the Colonel Klinks of this thread)[8D]

Old 12-18-2008, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Boy this thread got railroaded from the opening post. Those who got sucked into it, report to the nearest mirror and say hello to an easy sucker.

FACT (as told by owner): Dog was running loose.

FACT: Who knows where the dog was, what the dog was doing while loose or what it may or may not have gotten into when running loose.

FACT: It is the dog owners responsibility to keep his dog(s) under control and either kenneled or leashed at all times.

FACT:JUST BECAUSE THE DOG WAS SHOT DOES NOT MEAN IT WAS A HUNTER WHO SHOT THE DOG.

FACT: JUST BECAUSE THE OWNER SAYS THE DOG WAS SHOT WITH A DEER SLUG DOES NOT MEAN THAT IS TRUE EITHER. MOST ANYPROJECTILE WITH SOME POWER BEHIND IT WOULD PASS RIGHT THRU A DOG AS MOST DEER SLUGS PASS THRU DEER - NOT TO MENTION A LEG. Could have been a .44 mag, a .30-30 .......

FACT: That dog could have just as easily been chasing someonesstock or trying to get some chickens when it was shot.

FACT: Some kids could have shot that dog.

BUT TO JUST PILE THE RESPONSIBILITY ON A HUNTER IS BS.

SHAME ONSOME OF YOU!
Old 12-18-2008, 09:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good point Uncle Matt that it is wrong to assume that it was a hunter. If i recall, a while back one of your kids ended up in a bit of a jam because he wandered into the wrong place at the wrong time. But it turned out fine for him because some folks used some common sense and gave him the benefit of the doubt. Some folks here should use similar common sense[&:]
Old 12-18-2008, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've got two dogs. One a German Shepard/Rot mix she is 13 years and a yellow Lab about 7 months. I love them both to death but not before another family member. I've been in the stand before and have had what I thought my hunt ruined because of some pups running loose. They ran right under my stand, I could have shot all three. I killed a deer about 3 minutes after they went through, the deer came from the direction they ran. I would never shoot a dog while I'm out hunting or any other time for that matter. Only exception would be if it was attacking me, a family/friend, or one of my dogs. In my opinion if you shoot a dog and it's not attacking you, a loved one, or one of your other pets you are a no good piece of shiit.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:55 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

bigcountry. On a farm theres no room for a chicken eating dog. Bottom line.
Man, I have had chickens a long time. I kept them segragated from dogs, foxes, etc. Its really not that difficult.

Like I said, your buddies sound no different than the thugs in baltimore or DC. If they want to be like these people down there, its thier perogative.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Of course, following the logic by some here, people deserve to have their chickens killed unless they keep them in escape-proof concrete bunkers.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do..I appreciate and value life....BUT, if my dog and a person were both stuck infront of a speeding train, I'm saving my dog...No question about it.
This Statement Speaks volumes about the state of humanity and the mindset of some people. I had to read it 2x to make sure I read it correctly.

I have my own opinions on shooting dogs while hunting. To me there are a lot of factors that come into play beforethe dog gets killed, howeverto choose the life of a dog over a human is...........welll........pathetic and sad.[&o]
Old 12-18-2008, 10:17 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Redskin_Archer

A person who shots a known pet dog should no longer hunt.
Although you're right and I do not condone shooting a wandering dog, it is the owners responsibility to keep their animals under control. There is no reason why your dog or anyone else's dog should be trespassing on someone else's property. If your buddy were more responsible and taught the dog to stay in the yard, this wouldn't have happened.

I feel this way because I own a farm where we raise cattle and raise a few deer for hobby. My property is not near any houses do there is no excuse why there should be dogs running my property. More than once I've come home to my deer slamming themselves against the fence in shear panic because some unresponsible owner's dog things it's a fun game to chase them around the outside of the fence. I have some pretty nice bucks that are tame as dogs that I've become attached to, and needless to say Mr. Puppy was introduced to Mr. 22-250 before my buck got his neck broke. Same goes with them chasing the cattle. Pen up your dogs or get a shock collar and you won't have any troubles.

Quick Reply: Neighbor's dog shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.