Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Neighbor's dog shot

Old 12-17-2008, 03:15 PM

Default RE: Neighbor's dog shot

ORIGINAL: BetterBirddogs

As a guy who breeds, raises, and trains and field trials pointers I have no sympathy for your buddy or his dog. My dogs are very valuable. Having said that, I go to great lengths to make sure my dogs stay in their kennels. They are on a raised deck platform so they can't dig out and my kennels are charged with a fence charger so they can't climb out. If my dogs get out and get killed then thats a ME problem. I'm so tired of dog owners not taking ownership for their animals who are out wondering around. Bad deal for your neighbor but maybe he'll work harder to keep his new dog in the yard where it belongs.
I agree. If you care enough about your dog, you'll care enough to make sure it doesn't run off. Especially during deer season.

I have shot dogs around home before. It wasn't simply just seeing one and deciding to shoot it. We have dogs get into the trash, and they came up on me while I was deer hunting, on my land. I shot one, and would have shot the rest if they wouldn't have run off. They are just a plain nuisance. Always running around and getting into our trash and etc. Yes, it's my fault the trash was accessible, but it's my neighbors fault it was his dogs getting into them.

On the flipside, dogs have walked past my stand unharmed. There is no sense in shooting every dog, because accidents do happen and dogs do get out, it is part of their nature.

But, usually, a dog running loose isn't because of a dog breaking barriers and escaping, it's because of a negligent owner who thinks his only responsibilities as a dog owner are to feed and water it regularly, and whatever it does otherwise it's just doing it because "it's what dogs do."

It shows a real lack of respect for people living around you to just leave your dog(s) running around, depending on the circumstances.

People should be more responsible for their animals. People also shouldn't shoot dogs on sight "just because," but some people do, and dog owners need to be aware of that and be aware that if you let your dog run loose, it might not come back home. It's a risk you take.

Waiting for the idiots to show up that think a dogs life is worth as much as a humans......
ORIGINAL: SWThomas

Waiting for the idiots to show up that think a dogs life is worth as much as a humans......
x2
Old 12-17-2008, 03:16 PM
Spike

No reason to shoot a dog. Hes an A hole but it happens.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11/OH

ORIGINAL: jim1966

I like how all you sissies are all big and bad behind the computer saying you would kill someone over a dog. All I have to say is you would be someones sissy girl in prison. There is a leash law where I live and if something happens to a dog then its the owners fault.
my dogs roam free they way it should be

Good thing you dont live around here.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:19 PM
Spike

My father and I had a problem one year with dogs. It was a pack that kept showing up. The first day I saw them and the literally ran circles around my stand that morning. The same morning they were chasing deer by my father. Of course I saw no deer. The next time they came through together one didn't make it home. Though the pack had been reduced by one they kept coming back. The pack was reduced by 2 more before the season was out and we haven't saw a dog since. That was probably 5 years ago. He gets a free pass and if he shows back up, sorry.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

True, but why risk it, unless the circumstancestruely call for it. A little common sense goes a long way.
I totally agree with this thinking. I think if you're in the middle of "nowhere" there stands a better chance of it being a wild dog rather than somebodys pet that got loose.At the same time, as someone already mentioned, if a person REALLY CARES about their family pet they would/should take the proper, maybe even extrememeasures to make certain that animal does not get loose. JMHO

Old 12-17-2008, 04:00 PM
bigcountry

Shooting a dog for no reason is about one of the most damaging things a hunter can do. It happens here in liberal MD, and they will show the wounded dog over and over on all the news channels. People have no clue how much damage it does to us hunters. And for what?

Old 12-17-2008, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

Not the dreded "shoot the dog thread" !

My neigbors little Fluffy got out 2 times this year and came running circles around My stand in early bow (MY land, 20 acres, and not just over the fence)
I would never shoot his dog, he said he would try to contain it better (for the most part it is a house dog)

2 LARGE dogs showed up at My house end of the summer, they had mud on there paws, meaning they where down in My swamp and most likley came from that way, which is 900 acre of WMA.
Called the name on the tag, nice middle aged lady, just moved here, she lives on the other side of the WMA, now these dogs had to come right through the bedding area to get to My house. She said they wander off every day, but come back each night. I explained to her that the WMA is public hunting land and hunting season opens in 2 weeks. She was oblivios (sp), Just did not get it, and said that maybe the dogs would find some hunters to "play" with in hunting season.
If these dogs make it back to My property they are going to be dispatched.

Also I have free range chickens and ducks, any canine seen around them will be dispatched, If my chicken makes it onto YOUR property, you have a free dinner

Slack

Old 12-17-2008, 04:19 PM

I've had dogs charge me on our hunting club. They would run within 30 yards and stop, growel, and bark. They would never get any closer. As I would run at them (gun in hand) they would retreat, only to come back once I started walking away.

I never shot them, but would have if they were closing the gap on me.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never mind. This thread is not going to end on a positive note.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

for all the dog lovers. come to missouri. its illegal to kill them whether or not they are running deer. The only way i can kill a dog is if it is harming my "livestock" or causing "property" damage. in other words you mess with my money you mess with me.

I guess I was raised different than others. my grandfather raised and trained bird dogs. he even shot some of his own dogs cause they wouldn't quit trying to run deer. One of his greatet pieces of advise to me was to never get attached to any animal as a pet cause eventually it will either die or you will have to kill it.

Quick Reply: Neighbor's dog shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.