Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 CNN's article on the disappearance of Acorns this year >

CNN's article on the disappearance of Acorns this year

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

CNN's article on the disappearance of Acorns this year

Old 12-16-2008, 01:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: CNN's article on the disappearance of Acorns this year

NC had its second year of a bumper acorn crop. I think the 2 year drought "scared" the trees into dropping lots of seed.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here in SE Alabama where I hunt, we have a wide variety of oaks. I hunt two leases, about 30 air miles apart. Usually at least a few of these varieties load up, or some of every variety do well. The Post oaks on the smaller of the two leases have been faithful year in and year out since I firsst hunted there in 1976. This year's even the Post Oakcrop there was dismal.On the big lease, I found ptractically no White Oak acornsand precious few water oaks dropping.Fortunately Ihave found some late dropping Swamp Chesnuts droppingacorns .. and the deer are ripping them up.

But this is not unusual. Last year's crop was huge at both places, and two yaers ago it was poor at both.

In Arkanasas where I hunt, this season you needed a boogie board to navigate the hillsides because the White Oak acorns were so deep !!! Three seasons ago you did good to find a hand full of Red oak acorns on that same property. The White oaks were more or less a total failure.

I hunted in Menard County, Texas in mid November. Land owner told me that they very seldom have a good acorn crop. This year, however, the Live oaks and Chenery (sp) oaks were loaded.

Go figure !!
Old 12-16-2008, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

This isn't right....I live in SW Virginia and I have notices more acorns this year. WTF? We are having a problem getting the deer to come off of the mountains to come to our feilds, thats how bad it is. I'm confused.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:25 PM

We had more acorns here in NC then I have ever seen
Old 12-16-2008, 05:51 PM

Thanks for the Comments guys.. I've been discussin this with other people that hunt a few counties over from me and they have noticed very FEW acorns, just a few counties over....but as I said here they are plentiful....The part that worries me is the scientists and other "officials" in these articles are shrugging their shoulders as to why its happening....

If it was a simple matter of "well, there was a bumper crop last year, and the trees are still exhausted and not producing this year"...well that would have happened before then, yes?

I dunno maybe if we can look at the weather pattern that these places that got hit with this and see if they had maybe abnormal temps/rain over the course of the summer, and maybe find the common link....if it were that simple I'm sure the scientists would have figured it out by now.

When does the actual acorn begin to form on the tree, anyone know?
Old 12-16-2008, 06:14 PM
Fork Horn

we have nothing here!
Old 12-16-2008, 07:51 PM

some oaks take two years to produce a crop, so in southern ohio this year we had little to no acorns from our red oaks and pin oaks due to a late frost last april. the white oaks and bur oaks around me did fairly wellthough.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

On my hunting property here in Oklahoma I have black jack oaks and almost zero acorns this year after three years of heavy crops of acorns. Three years in a row of heavy acorns is almost as unusual as one year of no acorns. It generally runs in alternate years. Heavy acorns one year and few acorns the next. I have burr oaks in my yard and they had a few acorns on them. Another variety of oak had none. I expect the black jack will have lots of acorns next year.

My guess is that CNN may be trying to tie something like this with global warming or something like that. Trying to scare us into thinking the world is coming to an end.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

tons in MI. couldnt sit around the campfire some nights cuase it was raining acorns. ended up having to move the firepit.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

When the archery season started here in Wisconsin I was banking on hunting a good sized patch of white oaks, but I didn't find one acorn under the white oaks. There was a bumper crop of red oak acorns where I hunt. I harvested two antlerless one nite during a herd control hunt while on public land hunting an oak knob.