Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rattle Bags

Old 12-16-2008, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Rattle Bags

Like most have said Timing is more important than anything. I've used old andtlers and have used a rattle bag the past couple of years and both have brought deer in. It just depends on the area and timing.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:03 PM

ORIGINAL: chrowski

For those of you who say rattle bags don't sound real....

I work at a taxidermy, and so I have access to recently killed big racks all the time....if you compare your 6 month old set of rattling antlers to the sound of 2 freshly killed racks banging against eachother, you'd be caught breathless by the difference. The fact that deer even respond to old, dried out antlers proves that the sound doesn't have to be anywhere near on the spot....and forget about it if your rattling antlers are OVER 2 years old.

From this observation I've come to the conclusion that deer are not looking for the pitch and tone of the sound itself, but rather the frequency of the banging to make a connection that there may be a buck fight going on. My bet would be you could rattle in a buck with two sticks if youwere in the right area. I would try it, but I only get out about 5 times a year to hunt so I don't have time to experiment. I think the rattling bags effectiveness would be no different than antlers in the hand of THAT same person.
If you let you old antlers sit in a bucket of water for a few days they seem to sound more natural...
Old 12-16-2008, 05:40 PM

i have the knight and hale rattle bag and they work only if the timing is right this year i only used them 1 timebut i had deer all over me a bunch of small bucks and 1 big one
Old 12-16-2008, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the knight and hale religuosly. you have to use the the right time of the year and with the right wind.
Its just like any other call you just cant just walk out and start making noise. there are right and wrong times and right and wrong ways to use them.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:01 AM

[:'(][:@][&o][][8D][&:][>:]THAT STINKING HALARIOUS!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-17-2008, 11:27 AM
Typical Buck

Rattled in my biggest buck to date this season with a bag and a grunt/wheeze. Have had much better luck with the bag the last three years since I began using it then the previous 7 yearswith a real set. But, if you watch any hunting videos at all, you'll see mature bucks are quitereceptive to both real antlers and bags provided you are using them in the correct manner at the correct time. Using them at the wrong place/time is obviously much worse than using nothing at all.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: deyoung25

[:'(][:@][&o][][8D][&:][>:]THAT STINKING HALARIOUS!!!!!!!!!
What???