Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Body Size vs. Rack Size (Long question!) >

Body Size vs. Rack Size (Long question!)

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Body Size vs. Rack Size (Long question!)

Old 12-11-2008, 08:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Body Size vs. Rack Size (Long question!)

Most people generally agree that the further North you go, the bigger the deer 's body size.
So much so that, being from the Gulf Coast of Texas, I see on some of the hunting shows, I will see someone shoot what appears to be a "less than trophy racked buck." Then, upon the close-up of the deer, it's "wow, that is a real good rack!" (The same rack on a 150 lb. deer "appears " bigger than the same rack on a 250-300 lb. deer.)This part I understand! It isbasically an optical illusion.
So, to the real question: IF deer are bigger in body size the further North that you go, what is the explaination of Mexico and "South" Texas deer? These deercan rival Northern deer for body size! Not to mention rack size!
Seems to throw a wrench into the "further North, bigger deer" theory!
Any possible answers?
Old 12-11-2008, 08:57 PM
Spike

Default RE: Body Size vs. Rack Size (Long question!)

who knows? i just wish North Carolina had that problem, haha. small deer, small racks!
Old 12-11-2008, 09:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

IF deer are bigger in body size the further North that you go, what is the explaination of Mexico and "South" Texas deer? These deercan rival Northern deer for body size!
Mature bucks often grow to 300lbs or more,and can reach over 400lbs in the northern Canadian habitat.How many 300lb to 400lb deer do you see in Texas or Mexico?
Old 12-11-2008, 09:18 PM

You dont see 300lb deer often in NY... Very rare. The biggest biggestdeer typically harvested around NY area maybe 140-150 class bucks that generally wont field dress over 200lbs.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:27 PM
Spike

my NC buck weighed 190 before any dressing.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:38 PM
Typical Buck

my NC buck weighed 190 before any dressing.

That does not look like small rack from NC lol
Old 12-12-2008, 12:34 AM
Fork Horn

There is no way a whitetail in texas can grow as big as a northern deer in the wild. Those texas deer you are seeing on TV are far from being wild.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:53 AM
Typical Buck

most of the texas deer you see on tv are so pump full of chemicals they have no choice but to grow . they are not even trophies to me just farm animals. kill a big buck in the wild,totally free range eating natural food. thats the kind of trophy i like.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:59 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: TheMiz54

That does not look like small rack from NC lol
haha, i got lucky this year. this is the nicest deer i've ever shot. we call em fluke deer, haha. don't get me wrong, we produce good bucks. there's just not many of them. people are to eager to shoot small bucks. it's hard to harvest a nice buck.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: srwshooter

most of the texas deer you see on tv are so pump full of chemicals they have no choice but to grow . they are not even trophies to me just farm animals. kill a big buck in the wild,totally free range eating natural food. thats the kind of trophy i like.

Careful SRWSHOOTER: you'll get labeled as an elitist!! LMAO

Agreed 100%.

Quick Reply: Body Size vs. Rack Size (Long question!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.