Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

braking the law

Old 12-13-2008, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: braking the law

I think the key here is that when people hear "break the law" they think something big like shooting a deer out of season. What people don't realize is that even the "little" ones are still breakin' the law. When you stay 31 min after sunset, not signing your license or something of the similar, you're breaking the law. And I have a hard time believing that anyone has not broken the "little" ones.

To clairy: I'm not saying that breaking the "little" ones are ok to break, I'm simply saying that people don't always associate them with break the law.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:09 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

ORIGINAL: RYANINMICHIGAN

I break the law every time I leave the cabin. I refuse to load my weapon at my blind. It is against the law, but it Choose to disregard this law. As I would suspect a lot of people do. I also don’t always wear my seat belt. Do I shoot before legal light? No not really. Are there various things that pose a threat to me on the way to my hunting spot? Yep. If I read in the paper that a hunter was killed by a bear and if he would have had his weapon loaded he might have had a chance. I would think this guy deserved it..

Not sure what you are trying to say...
Old 12-13-2008, 03:48 PM

I thought it was a givin
Old 12-13-2008, 04:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

All I can say is more hunters than not break the lawin Pa EVERY year! You are supposed to mail in a "Deer Kill Card" that they provide you with (postage paid), within 10 days of the kill.Most don't![:'(][>:]
Old 12-13-2008, 06:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

I see that 30% of the people voting are either lying. This thread is quite amusing. "I never break the law"........."I respect hunting too much to break the law" Yeah, we all respect the animals and our sport but there isn't a single person here that is perfect every single time they enter the woods to hunt. People make mistakes and break the law. Be it something simple like forgetting your wallet at home and hunting to out right poaching hunters are only human.

I would bet a years salary that every single person that voted has been in their treestand with every intent to kill a deer, should the opportunitypresent itself,several minutes after legal shooting hours. The "by the book" 30 minutes after sunset hunting hoursis about 20 minutes before it gets too dark to shoot.

I bet that many have shot a bird or two over the legal limit of quail, doves, ducks, etc...

I bet that many duck hunters have accidentally taken a hen instead of the legal drakes.

I bet that many bird hunters have forgotten a plug in their shotguns.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I voted "no," but I have broken the law while hunting. Now, before anyone calls me a liar or a hypocrite, I'll try to explain...though something tells me that those you need an explanation wouldn't understand, but I'll try.

I have broken hunting laws, but NEVER KNOWINGLY OR INTENTIONALLY. See, it takes knowledge and intent to really violate the law. Breaking some obscure, nonsensical, law that nobody knows about, put on the books by a inane, pencil pushing, desk jockey at the DNR or state house who couldn't tell the difference between poison ivy and an oak tree, is still breaking the law technically. However, IMO, if the hunter didn't know about it, and shouldn't reasonably have known, then I won't fault him for it. Same thing if it's unintentional. I once shot at a deer over a "fence line" into another property where I didn't have permission to hunt. Was it illegal, by the letter of the law... yes. The problem is that the "fence" was down along that stretch and grown over with brush, so it couldn't be seen and the deer was right on the other side. Could I have got a ticket for it, yep. Did I feel bad about it. Not really. Would I do it again knowing now where that fence is, no.

This year I hunted in Minnesota for the first time. I live in Iowa and was not familiar with the tags MN uses as they are very different from Iowa's tags, and since I got the license through the mail, I didn't know that the tag had to be signed upon receipt. Apparently, even though my name and address are printed on the tag, and I have a photo ID to prove who I am, that just isn't quite good enough for the MN DNR (see comment above re. pencil-pushers). So I got up there, I hunted, I shot my deer, tagged it, and got it back to the house where my brother noticed that I hadn't signed the license part of the tag and informed me that I should have signed it when I got the license and I could have got a ticket for it. We had had a DNR officer pull into my brothers driveway when we were out at the truck getting ready to go back out the first afternoon on opening day. He just wanted to know if we'd seen anything, but he didn't check our tags or anything. We chatted for maybe 10 minutes, with me totally oblivious to the fact that had he checked my license I could have got a ticket for a petty technicality. Maybe the fact that I was wearing my orange Iowa Hunter Safety Instructor vest saved me a small fine. So, did I break the law... again, yep. Does it make me a criminal by the spirit of the law... I don't think so.

Mike
Old 12-14-2008, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

The judge always says "ignorance of the law is no excuse" just before he sentences you.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:35 PM
Fork Horn

I have also prob broke the 30 min after sunset law. On a full moon night might have stayed on the stand 5 or 10 min longer than i should have and harvested the deer.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Do you realize that posting about any illegal activities is in fact against the forum rules?

http://www.internetbrands.com/ib/terms/travel?site=HuntingNet.com&hasRSS=true

Without limiting the foregoing, the following behaviors are strictly prohibited: [*]Strong, vulgar, obscene or otherwise harmful language,[*]Racially, ethnically or otherwise, objectionable language,[*]Harassing, intimidating, stalking or threatening other community members,[*]Libelous, defamatory or otherwise tortuous language,[*]Online vandalism,[*]Impersonation of another person,[*]Posting, distributing, transmitting or promoting illegal content,[*]Invasion of another's privacy,[*]Actions that are hurtful to minors,[*]Posting, providing, transmitting or otherwise making available any materials or information infringing on the rights of a third party,[*]Posting, providing, transmitting or otherwise making available any junk mail or spam, and[*]Posting, uploading, emailing or otherwise transmitting any material that contains any malicious computer code, or reverse engineering or hacking any materials on the Site.[/ul]
Old 12-14-2008, 03:45 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

Do you realize that posting about any illegal activities is in fact against the forum rules?

http://www.internetbrands.com/ib/terms/travel?site=HuntingNet.com&hasRSS=true

Without limiting the foregoing, the following behaviors are strictly prohibited:[*]Strong, vulgar, obscene or otherwise harmful language,[*]Racially, ethnically or otherwise, objectionable language,[*]Harassing, intimidating, stalking or threatening other community members,[*]Libelous, defamatory or otherwise tortuous language,[*]Online vandalism,[*]Impersonation of another person,[*]Posting, distributing, transmitting or promoting illegal content,[*]Invasion of another's privacy,[*]Actions that are hurtful to minors,[*]Posting, providing, transmitting or otherwise making available any materials or information infringing on the rights of a third party,[*]Posting, providing, transmitting or otherwise making available any junk mail or spam, and[*]Posting, uploading, emailing or otherwise transmitting any material that contains any malicious computer code, or reverse engineering or hacking any materials on the Site.
[ul][/ul]
Stubble, you need to apply to become a moderator. That way, post like would matter.[:-]

Quick Reply: braking the law

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.