Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The Truth About GonaCon

Old 12-07-2009, 09:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default The Truth About GonaCon

For those of you that did not read about GonaCon in Quality Whitetails, anti-hunters are expected to be all over this in 2010. GonaCon is a newly registered birth-control drug for deer and is the first to be approved for use in free-ranging whitetails. It does the following:

A single injection is effective for 2 to 4 years in deer (and various other wildlife animals).

They are currently working on a formulation that can be delivered orally by mixing it with food sources (like corn), but it is still several years off.

Here is what PETA is not going to tell you:

It has to be administered by hand rather than darting. If a human female accidentally came into contact with an errant dart, they would also become infertile. Administering the dose by hand means trapping each deer and that increases labor, increases cost ($500 - $1000 per deer), and decreases the effective area that can be treated. The vaccine does not work on about 10% of the deer for whatever reason. So, it is estimated that 80 – 100% of the does would need to be injected just to freeze the population growth (not reduce it).

One side effect is abscesses at the injection site (some abscesses have grown to the size of the baseball).

If bucks are treated with this vaccine, they have reduced testosterone. Bucks do not exhibit normal rutting behavior or neck swelling. Antlers can either remain in velvet, or they harden and are shed up to 6 weeks earlier than normal.

To top it off, the vaccine is listed as a pesticide, so they would be reducing what we consider a big game animal to the equivalent of a rat.

Anticipate anti-hunting groups pushing hard for this in urban areas first to get things started.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lightbulb

And... what is the 10-year study show of the affects from eating the deer that are administered this drug?

I bet the FDA has no information whatsoever on the effects of humans eating venison that was given this drug.

Since PETA seems to care so much for animals... and of course "we" humans, they should be concerned with our well being, so they should be the ones volunteering for test subjects. They can start eating venison that was administered this drug to see the long term affects it has or not have on humans.

iSnipe
Old 12-08-2009, 01:10 AM
Fork Horn

I'm for developing a drug to dart anyone connected with PETA and reduce their numbers, to increase the safety of all animals who suffer from their stupidity. Whatever drug is used for humane lethal injection of other criminals should work fine. Suporters of this idea should start sending me huge amounts of money to stop PETA from spreading from an insignificant but wealthy group of fools into a full blown widespread case of idiocy.
With your donations, I can provide inexpensive permanent cures for those who oppose sensible harvests of game animals to ease human hunger and stabilize animal numbers, using lead free, environmentally safe projectiles and chemical darts.
As a sponsor of my program, you can choose to receive photos of the actions you have sponsored, and see first hand what your donations can accomplish. Thats right! PETA members can be humanely euthanized or sterilized the same way they have done it to millions of wild animals and pets. Please end animal suffering now, by sending your donation today, and receive a free box of steaks of your favorite, chemical free wild game, guaranteed untouched by PETA's insane programs. Then continue your generous donations monthly to insure that PETA never again infect our society.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Lets dart the PETA idiots and stop their population problem.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

This is not only one of the stupidest things ever, it's just plain wrong!

Haven't we learned not to mess with nature by now? natural is the way to go...

I think Ted Nugent was all over this in MI they wanted this garbage instead of just hunting them...
Old 12-08-2009, 09:54 AM
Fork Horn

Every time I try to wrap my head around the nonsense that comes out of these people, I die a little inside.

Its hard to figure out exactly where they are coming from....Its not okay to shoot deer but it is okay to invasively alter their reproduction?

Because if you alter the context a little bit and leave aside hunting...that someone somewhere was trying to solve over population problems by sterilizing wild animals, they would go bananas over that.

I have found, by observing the animal rights zealot in their natural habitat, that its about the lifestyle more than anything else. The whole point is about impressing the next oddball with their 'passion' and 'commitment' by being more shrill and absurd. People like drama and tend to invent their own or embellish that which they find naturally occuring.

The sad thing is that some hunters and people in general can be cruel and irresponsible. And yet the nonsense spouted by these clowns is so over the top and so out of control that people tend to tune them out or in some cases, worse.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:50 AM
Fork Horn

I've been thinking about this and something just occurred to me. My dad lives in a residential neighborhood in San Antonio renown (or infamous) for its deer population. Urban sprawl has left this area completely landlocked by exploding growth and the deer, without any hunting pressure or predators are relatively tame and does usually have twins every year. They werak havoc on gardens and flowers in the neighborhood and occasionally get out on the highway and cause a mess.

I'm not saying I'm for or against 'giving them the pill' in those circumstances but its an idea. That said, the PETA types have had their fingers in this issue since forever. They trapped a bunch of the deer out a while back and resolving what to do with them was the biggest mess ever. My dad offered to buy them, being a resident of the neighborhood, take em out and turn em loose on the ranch. Sounds simple, right? Last I heard, they were going to ship them to a wild life preserve in Mexico (haha!)
Old 12-08-2009, 12:01 PM
Typical Buck

i can already see it
1. it will mess up the deer herd
2. a hunter who harvests a deer with the drug and gets sick
3. another thing PETA supports comes back and bites them in the a**

by the way i say there should no season on PETA supporters
Old 12-08-2009, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Exclamation

Originally Posted by marlin30/30_drabe
by the way i say there should no season on PETA supporters
For those who may not understand that, there are some animals that are not regulated, studied, counted or controlled. These animals have what you call an "open" season for them... meaning you can pretty much hunt them anytime, year 'round.

So by saying "no season", this means it's not regulated... it's wide OPEN, no limits or no licenses! LOL!

iSnipe
Old 12-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
Lets dart the PETA idiots and stop their population problem.

Sounds like a plan to me!!!ship em all to the Burmuta Triangle!!!