Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What makes the midwest so different??? >

What makes the midwest so different???

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What makes the midwest so different???

Old 12-11-2008, 03:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What makes the midwest so different???

In Iowa I think it’s the following…

Food (nutrition)
DNR (they really have a great program)
Hunting practices
Less people
Shot gun only (except for the southern 2 county rows, they now allow High Powered Rifles due tothe low people and high deer population)
Short shot gun seasons 1st is only 5 days and 2nd is I think 10 days
Crop filed provide lots of cover and again we all know how much corn these deer eat!

Never herd of the soil playing a vital part in non typical bucks… but if some scientist thinks it can then well…
Old 12-11-2008, 03:32 PM
Spike

I say available deer resources I hunt in Mid-North Missouri In Mexico,MO there's just fields of corn,beans,and Alphapha but to add to this where I hunt there's a ton of woods for deer to take cover in and its not just Deer were pretty abundant in everything coyote,squirrel,fox all those woodland critters. Would not want to hunt anywhere else!
Old 12-11-2008, 03:47 PM

the crops
Old 12-11-2008, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jeremyjms06

Just curious to your thoughts on this. Why do you think the midwest produces so many monster bucks compared to the rest of the country?? Do you think its just genetics?? The abundance of crop fields that produce the nutrients to grow such large deer?? Buck to doe ratio?? Whats your thoughts??

IMHO, all the above.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: crenshaw

Alot of reasons.

1. Lots of food from the agriculture in the area.
2. Tag limits. Most Mid West states only give you 1 to 2 buck tags.
3. Archery during the rut. Prevents a lot of bucks from getting killed.
4. Ohio, Indian, Ill, Iowa all shotgun states, no rifle. That helps a lot.
5.Lower population of people, and larger farms. Compared to other areas of the country population of humans is lower and a lot of the land is farm land, not houses and buildings.
6. People practice management, they are into growing big bucks, not all people but a lot do because of the massive potential.
i agree. the midwest has better agriculture which means better nutrients which makes bigger racks and healther deer
Old 12-11-2008, 05:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

To me the midwest is where deer live....

the rest of the areas with deer, are almost like transplants....they're there, but do they really belong? and how good are they?

but i think if deer were managed, just about anywhere can grow monsters....but ya the midwest has alot of great natural things going for it...
Old 12-11-2008, 07:42 PM
Fork Horn

1) The potential for bitter cold helps to thin out small deer.

2) Here in Iowa, our gun season is after the rut when big bucks are not so sex crazed. Big buck are more likely to survive.

3) Good nutrition in farm country.

4) More selective hunters.

5) Lucky genetics.

I have noticed that more states are producing higher numbers of big deer. I think this is due to more people passing on smaller bucks; a QDM mindset. It also helps that the doe stigma is almost gone. When I was a kid most tags here in Iowa were bucks only and even if you had one of the coveted any sex tags, most hunters would shoot any buck before shooting a doe. Now a large number of hunters will shoot does before they shoot anything but a big buck.

I see pictures of monsters coming out of almost all of the cold weather states now. There are more big deer coming out of the South than in the past too.

Bob
Old 12-11-2008, 07:58 PM
Typical Buck

all of the abovegratefull nw ohio hunter-we rock
Old 12-11-2008, 08:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bits-N-pieces of all the above!
Agricultural states
Less pressure
Archery and Shotgun only
Shorter seasons
Harsh winters, weeding out inferior genetics
With the abundance of bigger bucks, comes better selectivity

Old 12-12-2008, 06:51 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

To me the midwest is where deer live....

the rest of the areas with deer, are almost like transplants....they're there, but do they really belong? and how good are they?

but i think if deer were managed, just about anywhere can grow monsters....but ya the midwest has alot of great natural things going for it...
Actually the Whitetail deer did not originate in the midwest. It orginated in the east. In fact most of the orginal home range of the whitetail is in the 13 orginal colonies, and places like WVA, Kentucky, and parts of the Ohio valley in small numbers. The greek name for the whitetail is actually "virginia deer". the whitetails being that they have adaptive nature followed the humans to a degree. Sure they were already present in midwest states, but they actually did begin to be very noticable until farming the midwest took place in the 1700's the whitetail has traditionally followed man across the country. You make a farm they will show up.And now people are evening seeing them in California.

Quick Reply: What makes the midwest so different???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.