Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 i bait and am not ashamed about it >

i bait and am not ashamed about it

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

i bait and am not ashamed about it

Old 12-10-2008, 08:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: i bait and am not ashamed about it

Baiting is legal here in KY,but just because there is corn on the ground doesn't mean that deer are going to come right to it.The bait doesn't stop their ability to smell or hear or see you.I have had far more success stalking up on a rut crazed buck in daylight chasing a doe than I ever will over a corn pile.I have thousands of trail cam pictures of deer over corn and the mature deer seldom come to bait in daylight hours,sure they do in texas on TV or on places where they have a couple thousand acres of land that they are unpressured on.Here if you have a 500 acre farm to hunt on you can bet that every 100 acre farm around you has several hunters with bait piles and that most of the deer you get pictures of 130" or better are usually after dark unless it during the rut and then anytime their is a doe around a buck can be near.I hunted an 11 pointer during oct.this year for 15 days every evening before I saw him I had many pictures of him on bait after dark,he walked into the hay field with several other deer 1 hour before dark none of the deer came to the corn at first they just ate grass,then a smaller buck came and ate corn and a couple of does,but three bucks and several does just stayed in the hay field,the big buck was bedded in the field at 85yards for a while and then he got up and went on into the field,MY POINT IS just because there is corn on the ground doesn't make it a guarrenteed easy kill,a mature animal is very wary if it knows it is being hunted.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:51 AM
Bartender

It sure is if your hunting in Northern Wisconsin where there are no cornfields for miles and you put out corn.
But next year baiting will finally be illegal up there even though you know they will still do it. I piss in every pile I see up there.
ORIGINAL: SWThomas

I tend to agree with you. Hunting with bait is no different than hunting on a food plot.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO there is nothing wrong with baiting. There are all kinds of bait; food plots, scent wicks, corn pile, buck grub,C'mere deer, scent drags etc. IMO, if it was put there by man ( corn field, food plot etc.)and not a natural habitat ( Oak Trees for example), it is some sort of baiting. I also feel that there is nothing wrong with using either to your advantage.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Old 12-11-2008, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: peakrut

It sure is if your hunting in Northern Wisconsin where there are no cornfields for miles and you put out corn.
But next year baiting will finally be illegal up there even though you know they will still do it. I piss in every pile I see up there.
What's funny is that you think pissing on those corn piles is going to keep the deer from eating it. It's been proven that human piss doesn't spook deer and they'll eat piss covered corn just the same as regular corn.

There's places in FL where there are no corn fields for miles. What's your point?
Old 12-11-2008, 07:59 AM
Typical Buck

If its legal then do it...i would. If not then don't do it...i wouldn't. Who am i to tell the next person what to do?
Old 12-11-2008, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO, sitting over a bait pile is a little on the boring side. I did it for many years when I first starting hunting in Michigan. If you are happy hunting like that - and it's legal - than do it. Everyone has a different perspective on any topic! We just need to embrace our differences!
Old 12-11-2008, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: WKP Todd

IMO, sitting over a bait pile is a little on the boring side. I did it for many years when I first starting hunting in Michigan. If you are happy hunting like that - and it's legal - than do it. Everyone has a different perspective on any topic! We just need to embrace our differences!
And sitting somewhere else not seeing deer isn't?
Old 12-11-2008, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can't bait in Illinois so I don't. I know it's done......I've seen it. They also got caught. The way I look at laws, is if it's legal where you hunt, I've got no problem with it.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

If its legal, I'll do it and have done it in Michigan and didn't think twice about it. If its not legal, then I don't do it. Never have I thought of myself as less of a hunter because I bait. There are plenty of food sources where I hunt in Michigan and the deer can go to any of them, Ive never had a deer sit at a bait pile for that long, usually its just a stopping point on there way somewhere else. Seems like with the baiting ban this year, this subject has come up alot and now were just beating a dead horse.

Quick Reply: i bait and am not ashamed about it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.