Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 i bait and am not ashamed about it >

i bait and am not ashamed about it

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

i bait and am not ashamed about it

Old 12-10-2008, 08:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: i bait and am not ashamed about it

I still see some people do it here in VA. I've walked up on some, in a treestand, over a pile of corn. Sometimes its out of ignorance, because they just don't know the law, and don't take time to read regulations.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:39 AM
Fork Horn

Baiting in Texas is legal. I hunt several different places where we have feeders going with corn and some of the places feed year round. We also plant several fields of wheat for the cattle. Honestly, we see a lot more deer in the wheat fields than at the feeders, but they typically do stop at the feeders that are close to their travel routes to and from the fields and bedding areas. The feeder I hunt the most is one that is on a travel route between a wheat field and a bedding area. Sometimes you have to intercept the deer to get a chance at one of the big bucks that don't come into the fields until after dark. Hunt Hard, Hunt Smart.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Once again, the great debate. I have one feeder going right now. I don't hunt feeders very often, but I like to keep at least one going until a few weeks before turkey season to give the deer and turkeys a little something extra to eat during Winter. I will admit, I killed a doe with my bow on a feeder this year, but I don't gun hunt on a feeder. I've killed three nice bucks this season. None were even close to my feeder. I am not ashamed to hunt a feeder. I just use bow only when hunting one.As for food plots, they serve the same purpose as a feeder. In reality, you are baiting either way. A food plot is just another way of attracting wildlife. I don't care if it's a 1 or 100 acre plot, it's designed to attract deer so you can shoot them. IMO there is nothing wrong with either, as long as it's legal.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

boy if its legal i see no reason why i wouldnt have a feeder or 2 going on my property...It concentrates the deer and keeps them around....No one says you have to hunt on top of a feeder to be successful.

We plant food plots, use mineral licks, and have agriculture all over our hunting grounds...

If its legal id get all over it. Where we hunt its illegal to use a rifle as well...so should i go out and say since you use a rifle you are cheating yourself and not hunting right to my standards?....Why wear camo? Its kinda cheating cause they cant see you? Scent wash and scent spray, cheating cause they cant smell you...Doe in heat, come on the guy is just needing to get his....Rifle, ha what garbage, I prefer hand to hand combat with mr whitetail and not killing him from 200yrds away with pinpoint accuracy....Point being we all take advantage of what is LEGAL for us to do during hunting.

You take every advantage you can get when trying to have a successful hunt...If we didnt we would still be out there with sharp sticks throwing them at the deer....
Old 12-10-2008, 09:19 AM
Spike

here in North Carolina it is not illegal to bait deer. and we definitely take advantage of the opportunity to use feeders and corn. in reality it doesn't benefit you any towards shooting a big buck because a nice, mature buck isn't even going to be out during the day (here anyways .. unless during the rut) and it's especially not going to be eating under a feeder. feeders and food plots only keep the does around. i love having feeders on some of my stands because you know when you go hunt you're going to at least see some deer. and yeah, it gives you the advantage on shooting does if you're looking to put some meat on the table. we'll even put feeders in our fields to help sweeten it up even more. i don't really know how you can harvest a deer without using a feeder or food plots either. idk how it is out west but here in NC you're not going to see deer unless you have some type of food source. how do yall harvest a nice buck from year to year if you can't have any type of food source? do yall just walk through fields and try to just get lucky and shoot one at long range?
Old 12-10-2008, 09:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Eager...hunt white oaks, persimmons, honeysuckle, grapes, soybeans, peanut fields, cut corn, winter wheat and clover...Funnels are also good as are the cutovers where deer are leaving to go to the other food sources...
Old 12-10-2008, 09:40 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: CarpetBagger

boy if its legal i see no reason why i wouldnt have a feeder or 2 going on my property...It concentrates the deer and keeps them around....No one says you have to hunt on top of a feeder to be successful.

We plant food plots, use mineral licks, and have agriculture all over our hunting grounds...

If its legal id get all over it. Where we hunt its illegal to use a rifle as well...so should i go out and say since you use a rifle you are cheating yourself and not hunting right to my standards?....Why wear camo? Its kinda cheating cause they cant see you? Scent wash and scent spray, cheating cause they cant smell you...Doe in heat, come on the guy is just needing to get his....Rifle, ha what garbage, I prefer hand to hand combat with mr whitetail and not killing him from 200yrds away with pinpoint accuracy....Point being we all take advantage of what is LEGAL for us to do during hunting.

You take every advantage you can get when trying to have a successful hunt...If we didnt we would still be out there with sharp sticks throwing them at the deer....
man this is the most intelligent post I have seen in a while. Thank you

Now we can bait in Ohio. I do but I do not sit over a pile of corn. I put out a mineral block in the spring each year to help the deer out with their mineral needs. they use it up but they are hard to pattern at a block so I hunt them in other sections of the woods where I can pattern them.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:50 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

Eager...hunt white oaks, persimmons, honeysuckle, grapes, soybeans, peanut fields, cut corn, winter wheat and clover...Funnels are also good as are the cutovers where deer are leaving to go to the other food sources...

according to some of the previous posts it looks like cut corn, wheat, or soybeans would be considered a food plot? i'm just curious. we plant corn, wheat, and soybeans but we don't really have any regulations on deer hunting here so i'm just trying to learn a little bit.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: eagerbeaver3483

here in North Carolina it is not illegal to bait deer. and we definitely take advantage of the opportunity to use feeders and corn. in reality it doesn't benefit you any towards shooting a big buck because a nice, mature buck isn't even going to be out during the day (here anyways .. unless during the rut) and it's especially not going to be eating under a feeder. feeders and food plots only keep the does around. i love having feeders on some of my stands because you know when you go hunt you're going to at least see some deer. and yeah, it gives you the advantage on shooting does if you're looking to put some meat on the table. we'll even put feeders in our fields to help sweeten it up even more. i don't really know how you can harvest a deer without using a feeder or food plots either. idk how it is out west but here in NC you're not going to see deer unless you have some type of food source. how do yall harvest a nice buck from year to year if you can't have any type of food source? do yall just walk through fields and try to just get lucky and shoot one at long range?
I have to agree and disagree with you. You are correct in saying you are pretty much wasting your time hunting for a big buck at a feeder. If they do come to a feeder, it's usually going to be at night. Just because you hunt a feeder doesn't mean you will always see deer, including does. You say you don't know how you can harvest a deer without using a feeder or food plot. You hunt natural food sources, close to bedding areas, or trails. I have a couple of feeders, but no food plots, and I rarely even hunt a feeder, and I see and kill plenty of deer, some pretty good bucks also. No doubt planting a food plot or hunting a feeder can increase your odds, but you don't have to have either to be successful. The natural food sources are probably there where you hunt. You just need to know when and where to hunt them. I seriously doubt most of us here on this site just walk around and hope to get lucky.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have several family members who have hunted Texas ranches where feeders were used. They all said the same thing, that they had their choice of any number of big bucks clustered around the feeder during daylight hours. No need to be ashamed if it is legal. But, it is what it is.....

Quick Reply: i bait and am not ashamed about it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.