Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Is anyone else having a horrible season? >

Is anyone else having a horrible season?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is anyone else having a horrible season?

Old 12-10-2008, 07:12 PM

Default RE: Is anyone else having a horrible season?

luck luck luck thats all there is this year!
Old 12-10-2008, 07:46 PM
Fork Horn

Here in So. Illinois its been lean & mean.
I was told that it because of blue tongue that wiped a lot of em out.
Yet DNR gave out plenty of tags???
No one I know has seen the amount of deer that they have in years past.

Mark
Old 12-11-2008, 07:37 AM

Harvest is way down this year (~30% on deer and elk). The state is blaming a late cold spring that may have killed some fawns, but I think it's the weather and recession. Most people I talked to this year haven't been out at all and are saying there's no point because wolves have eaten everything anyway. I didn't know that the wolves have eaten everything so went out anyway.

Got 4 deer, 2 antelope, and an elk. At least in my area the main reasons people didn't get anything (even a deer) seem to be: 1) they didn't get out of their house 2) when they did they didn't get out of their truck 3) when they were in their truck they didn't start driving around until after sunup and came back for a late lunch. Honestly, all the people I know fell into this trap and very few got anything at all.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:41 AM
Spike

Everything seems to be on track here in Northern FL. I've killed 8 bucks and my buddy has killed 8 or 9. Which is about our average, considering we still have 4 weeks left. Hope things pick up where you're at. Our second rut is just starting so hopefully the bucks will be on the move again!
Old 12-13-2008, 02:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

i've killed 3 so far
Old 12-13-2008, 12:14 PM

local DNR said numbers were down almost 40% from last season. We had 6 hunters at camp for this Rifle season and only seen three deer total over nine days. This season took a cheap shot at my enthusiasm
Old 12-13-2008, 12:29 PM
Typical Buck

Here in WNY, it has been tough going. I seen deer just about everyday but there were some all day sits involved. Shotgun season rolled around 5 of us killed 6 deer the first 4 days and I havent seen a deer for 3 weeks until yesterday during our muzzy season. I have killed a deer in each season but I log more hours in a stand than the average guy.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Horrible? took no game...but did probably have more close calls than most years, bucks we're still short of my minimum though, probably should have taken a doe or two, but didn't.

Did realize something has to change for next year.....current hunting situation just isn't cutting it. Either going to have to drastically change the current area, or move onto a new area to lease etc...I think I'm done trying where I am, since others....are content with status quo.

Thinking I need to start my own hunt club and find some guys to join and hunt with me. Guys who not only say and have the same views about management I do, but will actually follow through with such standards. I think that's what I'm going to end up trying to do.

Did ask a friend about his friend who hunts iowa though, I think they may only gun hunt their land, so perhaps I'll get lucky and have an IN on bowhunting some decent land in Iowa for bow only.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:12 PM
Typical Buck

well,i killed 2 bear and 3 bucks,9pt and 2-8pts . let aleast 10 bucks walk in bow season and 5-6 sense then. does have been everywhere ,seen maybe 100. yeah,i'm having a pretty good year.........
Old 12-13-2008, 02:45 PM
Fork Horn

my thing is this: i'm having an off year and it really makes a guy feel like crap when every monday his buddies come in to work grinning from ear to ear. people all around me are having a great year, but i'm not. i think i need to find a different place to hunt. i hate it around here, everybody always runs dogs, and that f's up what i'm trying to do, it turns the deer that don't get shot completely nocturnal.

Quick Reply: Is anyone else having a horrible season?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.