Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Is anyone else having a horrible season? >

Is anyone else having a horrible season?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is anyone else having a horrible season?

Old 12-10-2008, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is anyone else having a horrible season?

hey bud your not the only one! ever since a week before the rut started i havent seen a deer! im in Ashland County Wisconsin (northern part) and i dono whats happening, my neighbor shot a big 8 pointer, his sister shot a nice 7 pointer, and her sister shot a small 8 pointer. I dono what im doing wrong but there only a quarter mile from my stand! i've hunted since the opener and now im starting to give up, only going out 2 times a week.I just dont know, I'm in the same boat as you bud, i tried EVERYTHING! but nothing is working, guess it's just not my year! i had a 8 and 9 pointer on my trail cam regularly till the rut started and now my confidence dropped, never been back... So all i can say is good luck cuz it's depressing...
Old 12-10-2008, 06:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Locally = terrible... worst Massachusetts season I can remember in years...
Good NY season though...

Old 12-10-2008, 06:45 AM
Fork Horn

I cant say i haven't seen them... I've seen ALOT! but never close enough to my stand.. or to much brush or forced to watch 3 doe wander around 20 yrds away from me while im on my way to my tree with my climber on my back a jacket in one hand and the bow in the other..lol yeah.. that got to me i was like this suxs lol..always something preventing me from taking a shot... while my son (who got his firstdeer this year) got 2 so far... so I can say its my best season because I'm happier about his success more than i have ever been with my own..and I've been in the woodsmore than I have ever been...but man i Just don't know why I haven't had any luck of my own. My advice... hang in there! after all .. without a drought.. we can never truly appreciate the rain
Old 12-10-2008, 06:46 AM
Typical Buck

My season thus far is not what i would consider good for me. I have shot 2 deer thus far, a big doe and about 120' 9point both with my bow. Granted im not having any trouble seeing the deer, i see between 5 to 20 deer a sit on average, but thats not that only real for the properties I hunt. My problem is seeing the bucks i know are there. I have a lot of massive bucks in the area, and my area isnt hunted that hard (my neighbor keeps seeing the buck im after every week).

My best advise is to rescout your area. If your hunting the same set ups over and over you may be laying way to much scent in the area. You also maybe spooking the deer out of there. Late season patterns change dramitically. This is the time of the year i use my climber alot. Helps switch things around on them, I also rotate properties through out the season in effort to keep pressure off. I saw an absolute giant in early november and got pumped and hunted that stand over and over, then i caught myself. I was making it worse, I backed out for 10 days and came back in and shot that 9. wasnt the deer i was after by no means but i had to let things cool down in order for the deer to relax a bit. I know have let that stand sit for two weeks and will climb on that property this weekend. I have found the key to the late season is to sit where you never have before. By now the deer kinda know where you have been going and where you havent. Trick them. Take a look a around and get in a tree in an area you wouldnt normally. You would be suprised.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:27 PM
Fork Horn

i'm in cove city, nc. it's like the deer capital of craven county, and there are lots of deer around, just not around me. tons of people killing 8's and 10's all around me, but i haven't seen so much as a doe in over a month. i'll break down my situation like this: 9/30/08 a doe about 30 yards away, started to draw back and my arrow fell off the rest, 10/17/08 shot poorly at a doe with my muzzleloader, 10/25/08 saw a nice 6 with heavy beams but he ran off before i could get a shot (he was being chased by dogs [:@]), 11/3/08 finally closed the deal on a doe, 11/10/08 jumped a small 6. pretty much sucking.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Spike

people in LaCrosse county(WI), everyone i have talked to said this has been the worst year ever..big groups that usually get 12 deer during gun season have gotten 0..so your not alone.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

I have only seen a handfull of deer in the woods, and have killed most of them. I have a hard time passing up a shot if I get one. In 15 minutes I saw 12 deer cross the drive way including a nice 8 and a 4 point. The next day I decided to hunt near the drive way and seen NOTHING. Oh well, if it was that easy everyone would do it. If I were you I would get out of my stand and move around. Don't know what its like where you hunt but sometimes you can jump them up and they will only take a couple of steps and stop presenting a shot. It may not be the best strategy for killing a huge buck, but it might get you some meat in your belly.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:16 PM
Spike

no luck from me eather. ive seen 5 LIVE deer since the season started. i went to everyspot weve seen deer this year spotlighting and what not. but they have all dissapeared and nobody can find them. we had 3 big bucks in our hunting areas and nobodys killed them or seen them since thanksgiving (that i know of).
we've set, drove, even had a buudy take a atv through the thick crap with very little luck. my brother did kill a buck from some place he went to but most of the people i know only got a few doe.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:20 PM
Spike

nope (:

Old 12-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

I worked most of my season but did get to see quite a few does up here. Just can't shoot any does as our population here is low in deer numbers.. Never got to see 1 buck here at all but they were around some place..

Quick Reply: Is anyone else having a horrible season?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.