Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Opinion on deer age based on horns? >

Opinion on deer age based on horns?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Opinion on deer age based on horns?

Old 12-10-2008, 10:26 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Opinion on deer age based on horns?

ORIGINAL: huntr4lfe

My cousin shot a deer that was aged at 2 1/2 and scored in the 160s. I think it is all in the genetics and what they eat. If I'm going off of antlers/horns (does it really matter?) alone I look at the mass of it. Is this accurate? I would like your opinions on that also. Also it amazes me at how small the body of your buck was. Most doe are bigger than that here.

Congrats! It's a great deer!
I hunt about 45mins north of where he shot that deer. Mass is great way around here to field judge a deer. The more he has, the older typically. There was 8 pt at the butcher the other day that was thick, and they aged him at 4.5, he also had a huge body. but the deer that would score better was a 2.5yr 11point with 15inch tines laying next to him. Genetics always helps and food is huge. Around here mass comes with age though.

And yeah that deer does have a small body. The average weight of the bucks me, my dad and a friend shot this year all dressed over 160lbs. But that still is a nice deer, and really wide, which isnt that common around here.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:09 PM
Typical Buck

He would have been an amazing 5 yr old!
Old 12-10-2008, 12:16 PM
Spike

The deer at AP hill have really improved the last few years. There are some impressive bucks running around up there. Starting to see a lot of deer make it to 5.5 years of age.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:53 PM

Good genetics, and more importantly great food sources available (nutrition, nutrition, nutrition). That deer is the result of both of the previous.

As for aging deer, I never take into consideration the antlers. They can be deceiving and very influential in the decision process. However, that is a great deer, and I would never slam anyone for taking the opportunity to take such a magnificent animal...but could you possibly imagine what kind of headgear he would have sported in say two or more years.

GREAT DEER and CONGRATS!!!
Old 12-10-2008, 03:55 PM

BTW, keep that up, and we will have to force you to change your screen name!!!