Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Opinion on deer age based on horns? >

Opinion on deer age based on horns?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Opinion on deer age based on horns?

Old 12-09-2008, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Opinion on deer age based on horns?

I think he knows the difference. A lot of hunters (including myself) will occaasionally refer to them an horns....no big deal.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Antlers are referred to as horns alot here in the deep south.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:24 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Jimmy S

A few years back, I shot a nice 8 pointer that dressed at 178 pounds. When I registered him, there was a biologist from UNH that was working with the NH F&G. He asked if I was going to have it mounted and when I said no, he asked to check the age by extracting a tooth. I said OK and he told me that buck was only 1 1/2 yrs. old. I questioned his age but the biologist told me it was absolutely true and this 8 pointer was 1 1/2. I was still very suprised but was convinced he knew what he was talking about and he even showed me the extracted tooth and why he could age it so accurately.

He finally told me I made one mistake. He said I should have shot him next year.
I'dtake the biologist opinion with a grain. He mighthave been right, but it has been proven time and again that the tooth method is not 100% reliable. Jsut cause he has a titke doesn't make hime all knowing. Case in point, a coworker took his wife in for some diagnose and the Educated doctor said all the problems were gall bladder realted. Simple surgery and she would be back to normal in a few months. Well a few monthshas passed and he has now given her six months tolive with pancraetic cancer. Sure a little extreme, but just goes to show that the pros even screw up.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think the only way you can tell for sure is to cross section the tooth and then dye it so you can count the rings much like you count the yearly growth rings of a tree. I have read of biologist catching deer, then looking at the teeth, making a determination of the age and then years later when the deer was either recaptured or shot and the agewas determined properlyand thebiologist were completely wrong the first time they aged the deer.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, you just don't see deer like that in Virginia. But that is a great buck. Thats amazing. Where do you hunt?
Old 12-09-2008, 01:14 PM
Fork Horn

I saw a study that said that biologists were accurate only 50% of the time when the tooth was not cross-sectioned.

Killed a 2 1/2 year old in KS last month. He scored 131 and weighed 260#'s.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:04 PM
Fork Horn

My Dad killed a 10 point in 1998 that weight 155 field dressed, and the rack scored 144 gross, and netted 137. He saved the jawbone, and took it to a wildlife biologist. The guy said it was a 2 1/2 year old deer. He said that 1 in 25,000 bucks make pope & young at 2 1/2 years of age. Don't ask Me where He pulled that number from.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:57 AM
Spike

I hunt at Fort A.P. Hill. It's about 1 hour north of Richmond.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:04 AM
Typical Buck

Thats a great deer for A.P. Hill. Good to see some good deer coming out of there.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

My cousin shot a deer that was aged at 2 1/2 and scored in the 160s. I think it is all in the genetics and what they eat. If I'm going off of antlers/horns (does it really matter?) alone I look at the mass of it. Is this accurate? I would like your opinions on that also. Also it amazes me at how small the body of your buck was. Most doe are bigger than that here.

Congrats! It's a great deer!

Quick Reply: Opinion on deer age based on horns?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.